Do you believe in evolution?

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by xDave
I have an organ called the appendix. Presently it has no function, so why is it there? Did it used to have a purpose? If yes then that is evolution.
Medical literature shows that the appendix is not generally credited with significant function. The appendix is rich in infection-fighting lymphoid cells, suggesting that it might play a role in the immune system.

xdave

Originally Posted by Veni Vidi Vici
Medical literature shows that the appendix is not generally credited with significant function. The appendix is rich in infection-fighting lymphoid cells, suggesting that it might play a role in the immune system.

So... "the appendix is not generally credited with significant function." , "suggesting" and, "might". If you agree with me then why the
?

If every other body part is accredited with a significant function, are you suggesting that my assumtion that it too once had one is not reasonable?
(in advance, the naval is technically a scar, not a body part) i

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by xDave
So... "the appendix is not generally credited with significant function." , "suggesting" and, "might". If you agree with me then why the
?

If every other body part is accredited with a significant function, are you suggesting that my assumtion that it too once had one is not reasonable?
(in advance, the naval is technically a scar, not a body part) i
There is a difference between
No function and significant function.And i would also argue that the pinky toe has no significant function either ,Does that mean it will disappear as man "Evolves"?
I stated in a earlier post, neither Evolution or Creationism can be proven.I wholeheartedly believe in one but I'm not so close-minded that i will dismiss the other.
I didnt say i agreed with you ,i was just pointing out the fact that your appendix may or may not have a function. No Scientific Proof.

clown boy

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
Should we discuss radioactive decay to assess the age of the earth, or the fossil finds, or the observed changes in allelic frequency and subsequent speciation of drosophila melanogaster. The list is too long, nad comes from too many disciplines to enumerate them here.
Radioactive dating, as you should know, is completely unreliable. The brand new rock from Mt. Saint Helens that is around 50-70 years old dates about 10 million years old. LOL
The fossil finds don't support that the earth is young... in fact, they do the opposite. Why is it that dinosaur tracks are along side man's tracks? Why are some still alive today?

geridoc

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
Radioactive dating, as you should know, is completely unreliable. The brand new rock from Mt. Saint Helens that is around 50-70 years old dates about 10 million years old. LOL
That's because it probably is 10 million years old, but was pushed to the surface during the Mt. St. Helens eruption 10 years ago. Why you think the rock there is 50-70 years old totally befuddles me, since that precedes the eruption, and is far too recent to be dated by radiochemical means.
The fossil finds don't support that the earth is young... in fact, they do the opposite. Why is it that dinosaur tracks are along side man's tracks? Why are some still alive today?
Why is it that some people still maintain that dinosaur tracks are found alongside man's tracks. In no claimed case has this turned out to be true. In most cases, such as at the Paluxy find, the tracks actually are partial dinosaur tracks which have, in many cases, been "enhanced" to look like human tracks. Here are some references to this:
Kuban, G.J., 1989, Elongate dinosaur tracks, in Gillette, D.D., and Lockley, M.G., eds., Dinosaur Tracks and Traces: Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, p. 57-72.
Kuban, G.J., 1989, Color distinctions and other curious features of dinosaur tracks near Glen Rose, Texas, in Gillette, D.D., and Lockley, M.G., eds., Dinosaur Tracks and Traces: Cambridge, Cambridge University Press, p. 428-440.
As to the question "Why are some still alive today?", I presume you are speaking about human beings, and the answer is that they have used their brains to analyze and theorize in order to develop successful solutions to environmental challenges.

jerthunter

I believe I have said this before, but I will repeat it.
It would be useful for people who want to disprove evolution to atleast have an accurate general idea of the theory and the methods used in the scientific method.
It would also be a good idea to investigate actual primary sources instead of relying on people who support your opinion to provide you with information that is often misrepresented or based on a flawed assumptions.

lil' tanker

Originally Posted by Jerthunter
I believe I have said this before, but I will repeat it.
It would be useful for people who want to disprove evolution to atleast have an accurate general idea of the theory and the methods used in the scientific method.
It would also be a good idea to investigate actual primary sources instead of relying on people who support your opinion to provide you with information that is often misrepresented or based on a flawed assumptions.
OK well for one thing evolution is not even a scientific theory. A theory is a hypothesis that has been tested repeatedly and has not been proven false in anyway. Evolution is a model. A model of someone's idea of how things were created. Another idea and also something with more proof is the Idea of a divine creation.
If you don't believe in the Bible than ask yourself this how could a book that is written by many different people over thousands of years still not contradict itself or anything like that? It had to be God inspired. Man is not perfect. There are also many proofs in the Bible of historic events. One is the 5 cities being destroyed by fire and brimstone. Archaeologists have found where these cities were located using the Bible and found 4 of those cities destroyed with brimstone. The other one God did not destroy because Lot (Abraham's Nephew) was there and Abraham had begged God to spare him.

jmick

Originally Posted by lil' tanker
OK well for one thing evolution is not even a scientific theory. A theory is a hypothesis that has been tested repeatedly and has not been proven false in anyway. Evolution is a model. A model of someone's idea of how things were created. Another idea and also something with more proof is the Idea of a divine creation.
If you don't believe in the Bible than ask yourself this how could a book that is written by many different people over thousands of years still not contradict itself or anything like that? It had to be God inspired. Man is not perfect. There are also many proofs in the Bible of historic events. One is the 5 cities being destroyed by fire and brimstone. Archaeologists have found where these cities were located using the Bible and found 4 of those cities destroyed with brimstone. The other one God did not destroy because Lot (Abraham's Nephew) was there and Abraham had begged God to spare him.
Ok, why does the Old Testament contradict the New Testament? I'd be willing to bet I could come up with pages and pages of instances of contridictions in the New Testament. Also, do you think that certain meanings in the bible changed when it was written in English?
Are you sure these cities were destroyed by brimstone?? I'd like to see your sources on this claim.

grumpygils

Originally Posted by Jmick
Ok, why does the Old Testament contradict the New Testament? I'd be willing to bet I could come up with pages and pages of instances of contridictions in the New Testament. Also, do you think that certain meanings in the bible changed when it was written in English?
Are you sure these cities were destroyed by brimstone?? I'd like to see your sources on this claim.
Please come up with one page. Not to be smart. Just fact gathering.
Thxs,
Mc

clown boy

What does that have to do with Evolution? Start a new thread, please...

clown boy

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
As to the question "Why are some still alive today?", I presume you are speaking about human beings, and the answer is that they have used their brains to analyze and theorize in order to develop successful solutions to environmental challenges.
No, I meant dinosaurs... Google Mokele Mbembe.
I'll address the rest of this post in the morning...

jmick

Originally Posted by Clown Boy
What does that have to do with Evolution? Start a new thread, please...
I was responding to Lil'Tankers post...ah yes, I bet you know I am right to

jmick

Originally Posted by grumpygils
Please come up with one page. Not to be smart. Just fact gathering.
Thxs,
Mc
1) How many generations were there between Abraham to David? Matthew 1:17 lists fourteen generations. Matthew 1:2 lists thirteen generations.
2) Is Paul lying? In Acts 20:35 Paul told people "to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Since Jesus never made such a biblical statement, isn’t Paul guilty of deception?
3) When did the leper become not a leper? (Matthew 8:13 & 8:14) Jesus healed the leper before visiting the house. (Mark 1:29-30 & 1:40-42) Jesus healed the leper after visiting Simon Peter’s house.
4) Who approached Jesus? (Matthew 8:5-7) The Centurion approached Jesus, beseeching help for a sick servant. (Luke 7:3 & 7:6-7) The Centurion did not approach Jesus. He sent friends and elders of the Jews.
5) Was she dead or just dying? (Matthew 9:18) He asked for help, saying his daughter was already dead. (Luke 8:41-42) Jairus approached Jesus for help, because his daughter was dying.
6) Just what did Jesus instruct them to take? (Matthew 10:10) Jesus instructed them not to take a staff, not to wear sandals. (Mark 6:8-9) Jesus instructed his disciples to wear sandals and take a staff on their journey.
7) When did John find out Jesus was the Messiah? (Matthew 11:2-3) While imprisoned. John the Baptist sent followers to Jesus to inquire if Jesus was the messiah. (Luke 7:18-22) While imprisoned. John the Baptist sent followers to Jesus to inquire if Jesus was the Messiah. (John 1 :29-34,36) John already knew Jesus was the Messiah.
8) Who made the request? (Matthew 20:20-21) Their mother requested that James and John, Zebedee’s children, should sit beside Jesus in his Kingdom. (Mark 10:35-37) James and John, Zebedee’s children, requested that they should sit beside Jesus in his Kingdom.
9) What animals were brought to Jesus? (Matthew 21:2-7) two of the disciples brought Jesus an ass and a colt from the village of Bethphage. (Mark 11:2-7) They brought him only a colt.
10) When did the fig tree hear of its doom? (Matthew 21:17-19) Jesus cursed the fig tree after purging the temple. (Mark 11:14-15 & 20) He cursed it before the purging.
11) When did the fig tree keel? (Matthew 21:9) The fig tree withered immediately. and the disciples registered surprise then and there. (Mark 11:12-14 & 20) The morning after Jesus cursed the fig tree, the disciples noticed it had withered and expressed astonishment.
12) Was John the Baptist Elias? "This is Elias which was to come." Matthew 11:14 "And they asked him, what then? Art thou Elias? And he said I am not." John l:21
13) Who was the father of Joseph? Matthew 1:16 The father of Joseph was Jacob. Luke 3 :23 The father of Joseph was Heli. Christians shall try to LIE and tell you that one is the heritage of Mary and the other Joseph. This is utter bullshit, the Hebrew and Greek cultures NEVER regarded the bloodline of the mother. They were patriarchal societies which only concerned themselves with paternal lineage.
14) How many generations were there from the Babylon captivity to Christ? Matthew 1:17 Fourteen generations, Matthew 1:12-16 Thirteen generations.
15) Matthew 2:15, 19 & 21-23 The infant Christ was taken into Egypt. Luke 2:22 & 39 The infant Christ was NOT taken to Egypt.
16) Matthew 5:1-2 Christ preached his first sermon on the mount. Luke 6:17 & 20 Christ preached his first sermon in the plain.
17) John was in prison when Jesus went into Galilee. Mark 1:14 John was not in prison when Jesus went into Galilee. John 1:43 & 3:22-24
18) What was the nationality of the woman who besought Jesus? Matthew 15:22 "And behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, Have mercy on me, 0 Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil." Mark 7:26 "The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation, and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter."
19) How many blind men besought Jesus? Matthew 20:30 Two blind men. Luke 18:35-38 Only one blind man.
20) Where did the devil take Jesus first? (Matthew 4:5-8) The Devil took Jesus first to the parapet of the temple, then to a high place to view all the Kingdoms of the world. (Luke 4:5-9) The Devil took Jesus first to a high place to view the kingdoms, then to the parapet of the temple.
21) Can one pray in public? (Matthew 6:5-6) Jesus condemned public prayer. (1 Timothy 2:8) Paul encouraged public prayer.
I can go on...

jerthunter

Originally Posted by lil' tanker

Wow, first people claim that evolution isn't a fact because it is merely a theory, now you claim that it isn't even a theory? It sure seems like a theory. Two guys make observations based on the differences they see in living animals and fossils and devised a hypothesis. People than developed a method to test the hypothesis and then test the hypothesis. Someone says, well if there is prepetual change than we should be able to see that in the fossil record, and guess what, they have. Someone else could say, if there is natural selection we would see changes in the frequency of alleles based on selective pressures, and sure enough there are.
Now to address the second part. There is no need for this insistence that you must believe in God or believe in evolution. It has been addressed numerous times and it should be clear that many of the people who support evolution do believe in God and many who don't do not insist that God cannot exist.
Also, even if there are no contradictions in bible, this is in no way evidence that it is the word of God. People that wrote books of the bible have no doubt read the previous books and it would not be difficult to avoid making contridictions. Being old doesn't prove anything, the Bhagavad Gita is much older than the bible and is still read today.

veni vidi vici

1) How many generations were there between Abraham to David? Matthew 1:17 lists fourteen generations. Matthew 1:2 lists thirteen generations.
2) Is Paul lying? In Acts 20:35 Paul told people "to remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he said, 'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'" Since Jesus never made such a biblical statement, isn’t Paul guilty of deception?
3) When did the leper become not a leper? (Matthew 8:13 & 8:14) Jesus healed the leper before visiting the house. (Mark 1:29-30 & 1:40-42) Jesus healed the leper after visiting Simon Peter’s house.
4) Who approached Jesus? (Matthew 8:5-7) The Centurion approached Jesus, beseeching help for a sick servant. (Luke 7:3 & 7:6-7) The Centurion did not approach Jesus. He sent friends and elders of the Jews.
5) Was she dead or just dying? (Matthew 9:18) He asked for help, saying his daughter was already dead. (Luke 8:41-42) Jairus approached Jesus for help, because his daughter was dying.
6) Just what did Jesus instruct them to take? (Matthew 10:10) Jesus instructed them not to take a staff, not to wear sandals. (Mark 6:8-9) Jesus instructed his disciples to wear sandals and take a staff on their journey.
7) When did John find out Jesus was the Messiah? (Matthew 11:2-3) While imprisoned. John the Baptist sent followers to Jesus to inquire if Jesus was the messiah. (Luke 7:18-22) While imprisoned. John the Baptist sent followers to Jesus to inquire if Jesus was the Messiah. (John 1 :29-34,36) John already knew Jesus was the Messiah.
8) Who made the request? (Matthew 20:20-21) Their mother requested that James and John, Zebedee’s children, should sit beside Jesus in his Kingdom. (Mark 10:35-37) James and John, Zebedee’s children, requested that they should sit beside Jesus in his Kingdom.
9) What animals were brought to Jesus? (Matthew 21:2-7) two of the disciples brought Jesus an ass and a colt from the village of Bethphage. (Mark 11:2-7) They brought him only a colt.
10) When did the fig tree hear of its doom? (Matthew 21:17-19) Jesus cursed the fig tree after purging the temple. (Mark 11:14-15 & 20) He cursed it before the purging.
11) When did the fig tree keel? (Matthew 21:9) The fig tree withered immediately. and the disciples registered surprise then and there. (Mark 11:12-14 & 20) The morning after Jesus cursed the fig tree, the disciples noticed it had withered and expressed astonishment.
12) Was John the Baptist Elias? "This is Elias which was to come." Matthew 11:14 "And they asked him, what then? Art thou Elias? And he said I am not." John l:21
13) Who was the father of Joseph? Matthew 1:16 The father of Joseph was Jacob. Luke 3 :23 The father of Joseph was Heli. Christians shall try to LIE and tell you that one is the heritage of Mary and the other Joseph. This is utter bullshit, the Hebrew and Greek cultures NEVER regarded the bloodline of the mother. They were patriarchal societies which only concerned themselves with paternal lineage.
14) How many generations were there from the Babylon captivity to Christ? Matthew 1:17 Fourteen generations, Matthew 1:12-16 Thirteen generations.
15) Matthew 2:15, 19 & 21-23 The infant Christ was taken into Egypt. Luke 2:22 & 39 The infant Christ was NOT taken to Egypt.
16) Matthew 5:1-2 Christ preached his first sermon on the mount. Luke 6:17 & 20 Christ preached his first sermon in the plain.
17) John was in prison when Jesus went into Galilee. Mark 1:14 John was not in prison when Jesus went into Galilee. John 1:43 & 3:22-24
18) What was the nationality of the woman who besought Jesus? Matthew 15:22 "And behold, a woman of Canaan came out of the same coasts, and cried unto him, Have mercy on me, 0 Lord, thou son of David; my daughter is grievously vexed with a devil." Mark 7:26 "The woman was a Greek, a Syrophenician by nation, and she besought him that he would cast forth the devil out of her daughter."
19) How many blind men besought Jesus? Matthew 20:30 Two blind men. Luke 18:35-38 Only one blind man.
20) Where did the devil take Jesus first? (Matthew 4:5-8) The Devil took Jesus first to the parapet of the temple, then to a high place to view all the Kingdoms of the world. (Luke 4:5-9) The Devil took Jesus first to a high place to view the kingdoms, then to the parapet of the temple.
21) Can one pray in public? (Matthew 6:5-6) Jesus condemned public prayer. (1 Timothy 2:8) Paul encouraged public prayer.
I can go on...
Jmick you sure are familiar with the Bible,sound like you may have been close to GOD at some point.Mind if i ask why your so P'ed-off at GOD?