Favorite Bible Verse?

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by Jovial
:notsure: Tommy Bates right?
Yeah Tommy Bates. I'm a little confused on what you're tryin to say.

jovial

Originally Posted by Mr. Guitar
Yeah Tommy Bates. I'm a little confused on what you're tryin to say.
When?

mr. guitar

Bump!
Ok...this died out quickly. So...I have another question.
Please don't start debating about this topic. I'm just curious.
How many of you believe in speaking with other tongues? I never even knew about being filled with the Holy Ghost until Jan. of this year...started goin to a Pentecostal church. I was brought up Methodist and my parents and pastor never mentioned this. I totally believe in it and I now know a ton of info on speaking with other tongues. I can't even talk about this topic at my house!!! My parents would go crazy if they knew I believed in it.
In fact I can't talk much about church at all in my house because we believe in different things. Oh well.

grumpygils

Ok...this died out quickly. So...I have another question.
Please don't start debating about this topic. I'm just curious.
How many of you believe in speaking with other tongues? I never even knew about being filled with the Holy Ghost until Jan. of this year...started goin to a Pentecostal church. I was brought up Methodist and my parents and pastor never mentioned this. I totally believe in it and I now know a ton of info on speaking with other tongues. I can't even talk about this topic at my house!!! My parents would go crazy if they knew I believed in it.
In fact I can't talk much about church at all in my house because we believe in different things. Oh well.
I believe that people speak in tongues. Many religions (i.e.babtist) do not believe that the gifts of the Holy Spirit are still available to us, but there are just as they were to the apostles. Speaking in tongues is also a very dicey topic becasue I feel many "fake it". The bible is clear about when to do it and the "rules". Personnally can not speak in tongues, but believe people do and people can interpret it.
Mc

1journeyman

Speaking in other tongues is clearly Biblical.
What does the term mean, however? I believe the Biblical interpretation and many of today's denominations part ways....
In Acts, on the day of Pentacost, clearly this is referring to foreign languages. Mark 16 also appears to speak of foreign languages.
I Corinthians 12-14 is interpreted by many denominations today to impart a "spiritual tongue" gift. Taken in the context of Acts and the day of Pentacost, however, I think a strong argument can be made that that interpretation is incorrect. Regardless of how you interpret it, however, services where a congregation full of people are speaking languages no one understands (I've been in them) is clearly not Biblical. Corinthians makes it clear that church services are to be orderly. When tongues are spoken there must be an interpretation or the speaker should sit down.
Gifts are for spreading the Gospel and building up the church. Paul makes that clear as well. Again, this argues more for speaking in foreign languages than a Spiritual language.
The point is, there is a lot of confusion here, but either way you interpret speaking in tongues there are rules that must be followed.

sturner

Today's verse:
I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.
John 10:14-15 NIV
I'm not sure what my favorite verse would be... there are so many! But I know this for sure. When I die, I will be in Heaven and I WILL have an everlasting eternal life there!!!

As far as gifts are concerned, I am baptist, and I believe that God gives us all gifts that we may go out into the world and use them in whatever fashion they may be, to bring unbelievers to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Whether those gifts are the same as the ones given to the apostles that's not for me to decide. I have seen people filled with the Holy Spirit, and I know that God talks to me in many ways. I personally was gifted with the ability to play the piano; Thus I use that gift to play every Sunday for my church as well as on Wednesday night services and other special events. I also do all the music for our Adult choir and our children's choir
Sometimes music has a way of moving people.

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Speaking in other tongues is clearly Biblical.
What does the term mean, however? I believe the Biblical interpretation and many of today's denominations part ways....
In Acts, on the day of Pentacost, clearly this is referring to foreign languages. Mark 16 also appears to speak of foreign languages.
I Corinthians 12-14 is interpreted by many denominations today to impart a "spiritual tongue" gift. Taken in the context of Acts and the day of Pentacost, however, I think a strong argument can be made that that interpretation is incorrect. Regardless of how you interpret it, however, services where a congregation full of people are speaking languages no one understands (I've been in them) is clearly not Biblical. Corinthians makes it clear that church services are to be orderly. When tongues are spoken there must be an interpretation or the speaker should sit down.
Gifts are for spreading the Gospel and building up the church. Paul makes that clear as well. Again, this argues more for speaking in foreign languages than a Spiritual language.
The point is, there is a lot of confusion here, but either way you interpret speaking in tongues there are rules that must be followed.

I don't understand what you mean by these "rules". There doesn't have to be an interpretation...that's only if you are preaching in tongues and if 2-3 people are able in interpret. I think that's right...I don't have my Bible with me right now. If people are praying in tongues, it doesn't have to be interpreted.
What do you mean by Acts Chapter 2 not being Biblical? Sorry I'm a we bit confused.

I don't have the gift of speaking in tongues yet. I've been praying every night for God to let me recieve the Baptisim of the Holy Spirit. I can't wait till I get filled!! haha.

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by sturner
Today's verse:
I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me— just as the Father knows me and I know the Father—and I lay down my life for the sheep.
John 10:14-15 NIV
I'm not sure what my favorite verse would be... there are so many! But I know this for sure. When I die, I will be in Heaven and I WILL have an everlasting eternal life there!!!

As far as gifts are concerned, I am baptist, and I believe that God gives us all gifts that we may go out into the world and use them in whatever fashion they may be, to bring unbelievers to the saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. Whether those gifts are the same as the ones given to the apostles that's not for me to decide. I have seen people filled with the Holy Spirit, and I know that God talks to me in many ways. I personally was gifted with the ability to play the piano; Thus I use that gift to play every Sunday for my church as well as on Wednesday night services and other special events. I also do all the music for our Adult choir and our children's choir
Sometimes music has a way of moving people.

You got that right brother!

aandwrobert

well being a mixed bag of religons I have to say my favorite verse is not ion the christian bible but in the Qur'an and is the basic prayer
All prasie be to allah
lord of all worlds
Most beneficent,ever merciful
king of the of judgement
You alone we worship and You
alone we turn for help
Guide us to the path that is straight
the path of those you have blessed
Not of those who have earned your anger
nor those who have gone astary

1journeyman

I don't understand what you mean by these "rules". There doesn't have to be an interpretation...
That is the doctrine of some churches, but it can't be found Biblically (at least I haven't found it.) Paul makes it clear that if someone is speaking (doesn't say preaching) in tongues in church then they either need to be interpreted or be quiet. I Cor 14 says: "26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God."

What do you mean by Acts Chapter 2 not being Biblical? Sorry I'm a we bit confused.
I don't have the gift of speaking in tongues yet. I've been praying every night for God to let me recieve the Baptisim of the Holy Spirit. I can't wait till I get filled!! haha.
We can discuss this more fully when you have your Bible. I encourage you to read I Cor. chpts 12-14.
Again, read the chpts I mentioned fully. Then we will talk more. I also encourage you to study "baptsim in the Spirit". That's another phrase that gets misused, imho.
Not sure what comment I made about Acts that you misread. Reread what I typed. What I was saying is that the occurrence in Acts of speaking in tongues is not what some people make it out ot be. The folks at Pentacost were clearly speaking in the tongues of foreign languages. Not a "prayer" language.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by reefreak29
people cannot speak in tounges and people cannot interpret them , this is a false statement
Many books in the NT would disagree with this statement...

grumpygils

Originally Posted by aandwrobert
well being a mixed bag of religons I have to say my favorite verse is not ion the christian bible but in the Qur'an and is the basic prayer
All prasie be to allah
lord of all worlds
Most beneficent,ever merciful
king of the of judgement
You alone we worship and You
alone we turn for help
Guide us to the path that is straight
the path of those you have blessed
Not of those who have earned your anger
nor those who have gone astary
Nice prayer......Nope... we're not going to start bashing other religions in this thread. 1Journeyman

mr. guitar

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
That is the doctrine of some churches, but it can't be found Biblically (at least I haven't found it.) Paul makes it clear that if someone is speaking (doesn't say preaching) in tongues in church then they either need to be interpreted or be quiet. I Cor 14 says: "26 How is it then, brethren? Whenever you come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God."
We can discuss this more fully when you have your Bible. I encourage you to read I Cor. chpts 12-14.
Again, read the chpts I mentioned fully. Then we will talk more. I also encourage you to study "baptsim in the Spirit". That's another phrase that gets misused, imho.
Not sure what comment I made about Acts that you misread. Reread what I typed. What I was saying is that the occurrence in Acts of speaking in tongues is not what some people make it out ot be. The folks at Pentecost were clearly speaking in the tongues of foreign languages. Not a "prayer" language.

Yes I've read 1 Corinthians 14 a ton. haha. I have a bunch of stuff underlined and circled. haha.
I re-read Acts 1 and 2. I'm still sticking with that the 120 people who were together spoke with other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.
"And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance" Acts 2:4
Acts 1:5 says, "For John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
That was before the day of Pentecost. Why do you think they spoke with different languages, not the prayer langauge? Please don't think I'm mad at your or anything. haha. I've got a little booklet given by the Church of God International Offices and it says that those 120 people were filled with the Holy Spirit.
Remember Paul said, "Do not forbid to speak in tongues." I like that verse. haha. I've got that underlined in my Bible. My parents would freak if they saw that.

mr. guitar

people cannot speak in tounges and people cannot interpret them , this is a false statement
Even though I disagree with you, I totally respect your opinion!!!

grumpygils

I believe the bible says people can speak in tongues. I understand many not believing, but I personally try not to pick and choose what to believe and not to believe in the bible. It is all or none. And yes it can be trying!
Mc

reefreak29

Even though I disagree with you, I totally respect your opinion!!!
allot of penicostals do believe in this , but i dont think that after the apostalic age that there is any evidence that it goes on today. its not really worth a debate. it did happen in that perticular time . u are a young beleiver in a penicostal church were this is practiced. sorry if i made it sound like i thuoght it never happened because it clearly talks about it
just wondering if mr. guitar would respond to this