Fish Stocking Plan 125G FOWLR

Lukamoose

Hi, I've had a 125 gallon for a few years now and just a few months ago got everything back up and running. The tank has cycled and I currently have 2 ocelleris clowns (about 2" and 1.5") and an emperor Angel (3"). What are some other fish that I could add to the tank? I plan on getting blue leg hermits for clean up crew and for my shallow SB. I was wanting tangs, (dwarf) angels, triggers and really any other fish but I'm having trouble coming up with a fish stocking plan. Can I have an aggressive fish tank? There is not a ton of live rock so there is open water to swim in. What are some ideas for fish? Money is a little tight but I am willing to spend some on a few nice fish. Any suggestions?

florida joe

Can you post a picture of your tank? Would like to see what you mean by not a ton of rock. I am going on the assumption that you may add coral at some time so I am giving you choices that are considered reef safe. Certain fish as you know prefer a tank with an abundance of live rock. IMO you should look into Yellow tangs, kole tangs. Hippo tangs, sailfin tangs, blue jaw triggers, RGs, Pyramid Butterflyfish, Flame Angels, orchid dottyback .This should give you a good starting point IMO so see if any of them appeal to you.

Last edited:

Lukamoose

Can you post a picture of your tank? Would like to see what you mean by not a ton of rock. I am going on the assumption that you may add coral at some time so I am giving you choices that are considered reef safe. Certain fish as you know prefer a tank with an abundance of live rock. IMO you should look into Yellow tangs, kole tangs. Hippo tangs, sailfin tangs, blue jaw triggers, RGs, Pyramid Butterflyfish, Flame Angels, orchid dottyback .This should give you a good starting point IMO so see if any of them appeal to you.
Thanks for your input Joe, I definitely love these fish! But is it an easy transition to a reef tank from a fowlr? or just a few simple changes? Will most of these fish be compatible with one another?

Attachments

lmforbis

Most of the most of the fish Joe mentioned would be reef safe except the butterfly. The emperater or you have isn't reef safe. The biggest difference between fowlr and reef is the lighting. You need the right light for coral to survive. You may need better water quality as well just depends on how good it is in the fowlr. The transition can be done as long as your livestock is compatible with coral.

florida joe

Most of the most of the fish Joe mentioned would be reef safe except the butterfly. The emperater or you have isn't reef safe. The biggest difference between fowlr and reef is the lighting. You need the right light for coral to survive. You may need better water quality as well just depends on how good it is in the fowlr. The transition can be done as long as your livestock is compatible with coral.
should have been more specific when it comes to the butterfly. I have know many people with extensive reef tanks that keep Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish without an issue BTW just saw your rock-work I love it if i had to bet I would say you will be a reefer soon.And as my good friend Imforbis said lighting is paramount in a reef tank

Lapang

Among labeled as reefsafe butterflies are pyramid, copperband(chelmon family), schooling bannerfish(H. Diphretius). Butterflies go in first before angels bcos they are not territorial.....man, a school of bannerfish would look great in that tank.....just my .02