FishyGurl's 125G Tank Diary!!! =)

jpc763

Looks great!
What kind of tank is it (brand)?
What kind of stand is it (brand)?
I like the look of the stand.
Just curious. Can you take a top down pic with the flow turned off? I set up my rockwork and did not think about making room on the sand bed for LPS. I had to moved some rocks (which caused other problems) so that I could put my brain coral in there and have it grow.
J

fishygurl

umm the tank and stand came together, it says all glass aquarium on the lower left.. not sure if thats the brand?

and i will try and take some pics of the tank top down but the light is going to get in the way so im not sure how well the pictures will come out but i will try give me a minute..

fishygurl

umm i got some top down ones but u cant really see the rockwork because i couldnt get the camera far enough away but if you still want them i will add them too but i took some pics to show the rock and sand like from the sides and taking them higher up

fishkid13

Love the aquascaping. How many Lb's of live rock and sand are in there? My 120 is hard to do aquascaping because it is 31"tall.

fishygurl

Originally Posted by fishkid13
http:///forum/post/2673697
Love the aquascaping. How many Lb's of live rock and sand are in there? My 120 is hard to do aquascaping because it is 31"tall.

i think i have around 185 pounds of rock in there 135 of which should be live, and i believe i have around 60 pounds of live sand in there 20 of which should be live. (which this puzzles me because i have 2-3 inches of sand totally in the fron of the tank and maybe an inch on the back of it, and looking at the calculator on this site it shows that i would only have a little over an inch... so maybe having the eggcrate under there and all the rock there made a lot of it go away.. like A LOT unless im typing in wrong measurements...

fishygurl

params
sal- 1.024
ph- 8.2
am- 0-.25
trite- 0
trate-10
anyone know where nitrate is supposed to be at? i hear people with it at 0 and others with it at 40 or higher so im just wondering where its supposed to be at

kevin34

tank looks sweet! Nitrates should be at 0 but having them around 10 isnt really too dangerous. Just try to keep them as low as possible

hefner413

ideal is to have it at zero. it isn't common for it to be elevated for a little while when you are still building up your bacteria base. just give it some time

fishygurl

ok thanks so what do all of you think about the fish list? idk if its just me but it seems like my tank is too small (maybe i just will always want bigger lol..) but do you think i will be good for the fish to be able to swim around comfortably? i tryed making lots of caves and things for them to go through along with a lot of swimming room but i just cant see having the 3 tangs, trigger, school of chromis, always swimming, along with 2 wrasses and some others.. the clowns should stay in one area, along with the cardinals, and the mandarin when i eventually get will be on the rocks and the jawfish will be in the sand so im not sure what do you guys think?
if its too much im thinking of taking out the yellow tang..
but i really like yellow tangs... lol..

fishygurl

Fish Wish List:
2 Clownfish (I have in my 72)
1 Yellow Headed Jawfish
5-7 blue/green chromis
1 lawnmower blenny
1 Yellow Wrasse-
1 Blackcap Basslet
2 bangaii cardinals
1 flasher wrasse-- know of any really bright ones?
1 male blue jaw trigger
1 Blue Hippo Tang
1 Yellow Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Mandarin Dragonet
ok so i have been looking at my fish list and ive thought of changing some things... See any problems with this? I will make sure and add the sailfin and yellow tang at the same time. I will add the Mandarin when the tank is ready 6 months+
does this list look ok?
thats in the order i was thinking of getting these fish in the sections i put them in does it look ok? too much?
also am i going have to get rid of the sailfin? if so at what length should i trade him in for another? how fast do they grow or does it just depend on the fish?
ok so if its too much what would you guys suggest taking out? if i had to pick it would probably be the cardinals (but they dont need much room so i dont see why not) and yellow tang.. but i kinda like yellow tangs... or maybe the chromis? but a school would be cool..

kevin34

Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2673861
I would loose 1 of the tangs IMO, but its up to you
Ya I wouldnt get the sailfin. They get huge. Choosing tangs is tough for a 125 cuz it just meets the minimum for tangs. I still have no idea about which tangs I want in mine. Wish I could have a lieutenant

fishygurl

aww so i probably should take out one of the tangs..
now i have to decide which one... lol.. i know the sailfins get huge.. what if i keep trading it in for another one after it gets to a certain length, if i could go this way i would probably not get the yellow tang.. so if this is a possible way at what length do you guys think i should trade in the sailfin for the smaller one? (my mom really likes the sailfin tang too and wants it in there, she would want me to get rid of the blue hippo tang but i know i want that for sure, so its either the yellow or the sailfin and both of us like the sailfin, and i will have that same yellow color in the yellow wrasse..
so do you guys think it would be an ok list if i didnt get the yellow tang?
if so at what size do you think i should trade in the sailfin for another?
also what type of wrasses are red and totally reef safe?

fishygurl

Originally Posted by ClownFiSH11
http:///forum/post/2674462
hawaiin wrasse, but they are 300-400$
ya im thinking i will get a hawaiin flame wrasse which are like 180 i believe but if it ever dies my mom prob wont pay for it again so then i need to know of another wrasse that is red but cheaper im thinking a filamented flasher wrasse?

kevin34

Originally Posted by FishyGurl
http:///forum/post/2674472
ya im thinking i will get a hawaiin flame wrasse which are like 180 i believe but if it ever dies my mom prob wont pay for it again so then i need to know of another wrasse that is red but cheaper im thinking a filamented flasher wrasse?
Flasher wrasses are reef safe. I plan on getting one for my tank.