Four new Fillies!

rykna

I gave the girls scrub baths this afternoon. I still keep finding these tiny little white spots on them. I put neosporin on all 4 girls. After their bath I gave them all a FWD....they loved tha
^& :p
I am slowly decreasing the salinity level. I'm at 1.020. That's another aid to getting rid of some of these parasites...
Since I got them last Tuesday, today is the first day that I only fed them once. That's my usual feeding schedule, when my horses are in the DT. I want to get them used to cleaning out the food dish. I'll most likely feed them twice tomorrow.
I added a bubbler to the QT, since Tom commented that the MELAFIX and PRIMAFIX lower the oxygen levels. It did seem to help. The girls were very curious about the air tubing. They also played in the bubbles.
It's very rewarding to see them recovering, however, I don't think I'll be able be confident they will fully recover until the end of January.
~Rykna

rykna

Originally Posted by Cleve_seahorse
http:///forum/post/2915789
I would have done the same thing , so glad there eating for you !! Thats the first hurdle ....do you have prazipro ? Thats really good for parasites and deworming....I did that with my kellogis
Thanks

I haven't heard of this med either. Is it sold at most LFS?

reefnutpa

Do NOT use cupramine. It is a copper based medicine.
Have you given the horses a freshwater dip/bath for the external worms/parasites?
Tom

reefnutpa

Originally Posted by Rykna
http:///forum/post/2918533
It's been 7 days since I brought home the four girls. I never had any successful results with these medications:
Formalin
Malachite Green
Methylene Blue
Metronidazole (flagyl)
Niclosamide and Praziquantel
Combination drugs such as Furan II and Paragon II
I'm open to any ideas/info for medications. Especially if any of you have had success treating your horses.
~Rykna

Most bacterial infections are successfully treated with a combination of Neomycin and Triple Sulfa or Neomycin and Furan II. I keep a bottle of Neomycin on hand at all times along with the other two meds.
Formalin I use only in the fry tanks for excessive scratching to reduce any ciliates or other protozoans.
Tom

rykna

Originally Posted by ReefNutPA
http:///forum/post/2919466
Do NOT use cupramine. It is a copper based medicine.
Have you given the horses a freshwater dip/bath for the external worms/parasites?
Tom
Sure have
Once on Tuesday when I brought them home, and today I did another one today.

sueandherzoo

Now that my "rescue attempt" with seahorse fry seems to be over for the time being, I'll tag along and watch your rescue mission! Great job, Rykna!
Sue

rykna

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo
http:///forum/post/2919765
Now that my "rescue attempt" with seahorse fry seems to be over for the time being, I'll tag along and watch your rescue mission! Great job, Rykna!
Sue

Thanks Sue, I can use all the back up I can get. I was very pleased and excited this morning when I went to wake up the girls, all of them, for the first time were hitched! Their tails have been very unresponsive since last Tuesday. So another good sign that they are recovering.
My idea yesterday to only feed the girls once to increase appetite and clean the food dish was also a success. All of them kept checking the dish this morning. When I did feed them they all came swimming around the baster filled with mysis, and then dived into the food dish.

The girls have made it through the first week. Which was the first big hurtle. Next Tuesday will be another mile marker. I'll start being able to breath an enjoy them more instead of worrying about them.
~Rykna

rykna

It's TGIF day. I've been caring for the girls for eleven days now.Yesterday I made the decision to move the girls into the 38g DT.

Here's my current Medical routine:
Every day~ I'm using PimaFix(fungal), MelaFix(bacteria), and Rid-fungus.
Every other day~ I take all the girls and give them a scrub down with a tiny brush. Once I've removed all visible parasites I use the brush to "paint" neosporin all over their bodies.
I have narrowed down the parasite responsible for their suffering to Marine Velvet or Monogenetic trematode worms.
Marine Velvet has 3 stages to its life cycle, and only one of them is parasitic. Making it very difficult to completely cure your fish. The infestation begins as tiny little white spots, which I believe are eggs. The next stage looks like a tiny white worm attached to the horses' body like a leech.
Monogenetic trematode worms have very similar symptoms. Tiny white spots, itching, and erratic swimming. They are also hard to treat because the life cycles of this parasite is poorly understood.
I'm going to get more meds tomorrow. These are a few I'm considering:
ParaGuard

Effective, economical solution for ectoparasites and external fungal/bacterial lesions. A pH-neutral, methanol-free, 10% aldehyde blend solution with a synergistic concentration of malachite green and fish-protective polymers. Useful in hospital and receiving tanks for new fish. Use 1 ml for every 2 gal
Clout
is a tablet fish medication specially formulated for fresh and saltwater aquariums. Helps treat visible parasites and parasitic disease conditions such as: gasping for air, rapid breathing, flicking, listless behavior, and excess mucus production. Provides effective medication for a wide variety of parasitic and protozoan infestations, including:
* Ich, Hydra, and Leeches
* Planaria, Epistylis, and Trichodina
* Hexamita, Tetrahymena, and Body fungus
* Digenetic flukes, Parasitic copepods, and Monogenetic flukes
* Learnia (anchor worms) and Argulus (fish lice)
Will not damage plants or algae. Does not affect pH and is safe for biological systems. Not for use with scaleless fish, aquariums with ornamental invertebrates, or marine systems with live rock.

PraziPro

* Liquid praziquantel treatment for aquarium parasites
* Effective against suseptible disease conditions in fresh or saltwater aquariums
* May also be used as a preventive for flukes, tapeworm, and flatworms
. Controls disease conditions caused by flukes, tapeworm, flatworm, and internal parasites. Use in freshwater or marine aquariums. Offers rapid control without negatively impacting your biological filtration. May also be used as a preventive. Not recommended for reef aquariums with Feather Duster Worms or other ornamental worms. 4 oz treats 480 gallons, 16 oz treats 1920 gallons.
Probiotic Marine Formula

This disease preventive contains billions of "protector" bacteria that stop the activity of pathogens so they don't come back in 2nd or 3rd stages, killing your fish. Effective against Ich, closed fins, velvet, body fungus, hole-in-the-head, and vibrio, without chemicals or pesticides. Completely safe for all fish, corals, and aquatic plants. Add 2 teaspoons per 20 gallons first dose, then 1 teaspoon per 20 gallons every 2 weeks. 16 oz. treats 100 gallons for 33 weeks.

Prazi pro is great ...I used it with my kellogis that are still in qt....If I had to make a guess , your babies look alot like mine....maybe kellogis? beautiful horses !!

I' m thinking maybe clout is the way to go since you've freshwater dipped them and you still see parasites....I've never used it....only prazi pro.....but from your read out that would be rought I'd take

meowzer

Your tank is beautiful. I have been reading about your babies since you found them...You are amazing. Do they fuss when you hold them to bathe them, scrub them, and then coat them with the neosporin? Good luck, these girls are so lucky that you found them.

rykna

http:///forum/post/2924940
Prazi pro is great ...I used it with my kellogis that are still in qt....If I had to make a guess , your babies look alot like mine....maybe kellogis? beautiful horses !!
Thankyou~ Do you have pics of yours posted? I'm pretty sure the girls are kelloggi too
I'm definitely picking up some Prazi pro. I just hope I can find something and soon that can get ahead of this nasty little parasite.

rykna

http:///forum/post/2924957
I' m thinking maybe clout is the way to go since you've freshwater dipped them and you still see parasites....I've never used it....only prazi pro.....but from your read out that would be rought I'd take
Yeah- I thought this med might be the trick until I read that last part~....Not for use with scaleless fish. My friend Beth came up with a interesting idea. Since I clean them and brush on neosporin, why not other kinds of meds. For instance Formalin.

rykna

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/2924972
Your tank is beautiful. I have been reading about your babies since you found them...You are amazing. Do they fuss when you hold them to bathe them, scrub them, and then coat them with the neosporin? Good luck, these girls are so lucky that you found them.
Thank you, it was quite a surprise, and as my friend Beth said~ "It was ment to be!" The tank was originally for ponies, but I guess "the Man upstairs" had other ideas.
I just pray that I can find a medicine that will cure them.It is the same parasite that claimed my first seahorse, "Valiant". It's a constant day to day battle.
The girls were very squirmy the first time I gave them a scrub bath. With in a half hour you could tell how much better they felt. No more itching, no hard breathing, and more active too.
By the third bath they were very compliant. It was obvious they didn't like it, but they didn't squirm and allowed me to turn them in my hand. I keep their heads just below the surface as I clean them. I use three separate containers. The first one I place them in before treatment, the second is for removing the pests and applying the neosporin, and the third I put them in until I'm done with all four. I always rinse and refill the 2nd container between each treatment, and I hand release the girls back into the tank to keep contaminants from the water returning to the DT.
They're so cute when they curl up for bed. Usually they all sleep together wrapping their tails together. Especially the two smaller girls. I'm so glad they found me too. The tank has been empty for too long.

rykna

Originally Posted by dingus890
http:///forum/post/2915109
Rykna TO THE RESCUE!!

I cringe at LFS like that.You wonder to for the manager to sell the horses to you that cheap,how much does he get them for??$80.00 each...and the poor things were half past dead...makes me sick.Who doesn't feed seahorses for 4 days.

I hope they pull through.Great that they are eating

Thanks
For every pet store and pet owner like this I'd like to stuff them into a cage or tank and leave them sitting in there for two weeks and see how many yucks they have.

Wow, this thread is so exciting! I've been exploring this forum to learn more about seahorse care before I venture into it myself and wow do I still have alot to learn after reading all of this info.

I do have a question- where do you shop for medications? there are none of these medications at the lfs near me, do you find them somewhere else?