Gauging Interest!!!! People Interested in DIY LED Builds?????

acrylic51

Curious as to who out there has an interest in building their own LED systems? Anyone started looking at sources for LEDs???? Drivers??? Etc.....
Chime in!!!!!!!

2quills

Been thinking about starting a thread like this here...you beat me to it. Would also like to see some quick shots of those who have diy'ed their builds and some info on the materials and supplies they used as well, if possible. Anybody have any good or bad results to share?
Personally thinking about an 80-100 3w leds for my build and going with Meanwell HLG dimmable drivers. Shawn I think we pretty much already know each others sources and prices we've been shown. Wondering if anyone else here has done a build with something other than Meanwells that have dimming capabilities.

acrylic51

Thanks for giving a little more detail.......I'm also trying to pull that crowd in that's contemplating or unsure if they can take the project on. We've had very detailed discussions over the past week on different things.....I sent you the info knowing it would be of major interest to you, but I'm sure there are others out there as well.
I have found 2 very good sources for drivers. With bulk purchases of drivers the price will be significantly less overall for anyone interested. I'm going to start contacting suppliers for LEDs as well and see what I can dig up on that end.
As far as heat sinks there are a couple options depending how you want to go about it, but always open to anyone that might know or have a good source for materials......

monsinour

As soon as I have about $150 to 'spare' I will be making a LED setup for over my zoa garden. I think it was Nike who made his own LEDs over his pico setup. I can send ya some PMs with links to LED sites. Oh yea, I will give ya a call eventually Acrylic. Gotta gauge the interest in actually moving from the missus.

acrylic51

Cool....I'm trying to get the specifics down on the drivers I want to use.....I have a source on the HLG 185's and a few others, and discounts are better with multiple purchases.......

acrylic51

What's everyone's take on using "C" channel for heat sinks? Anyone have any data on heat issues going that route?

wangotango

This is the route I'm going. From what I've read on the big forum it seems like it's becoming a lot more popular. As long as the piece is "thick" enough and still cooled with fans I don't see why it would be any different than using heatsinks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///forum/thread/386377/gauging-interest-people-interested-in-diy-led-builds#post_3393456
What's everyone's take on using "C" channel for heat sinks? Anyone have any data on heat issues going that route?

meowzer

After getting mine yesterday...my husband looked at it and said "I can do that" SO.....I may look into a small one for my 10G for practice
I think the 225G is too big to start with

monsinour

C channels should be just fine with el cheapo CPU fans. It depends on how long the c channel is and how many fans you plan to use. "O" tubes would be 'better' for fans having to need only 2. The thickness of the metal would come into play and the strength of the sucking/blowing power of the fans would also factor in. You could hide the wiring inside the tube for a cleaner look as well. Have you checked out heatsinksusa.com yet for prices? I could also ask my friend with the laser if he could put one together as well. I was thinking about using him for mine really. I know he does all kinds of aluminum work and can get it dirt cheap. then he would use the laser to cut it and I think he has a guy at his shop who can fab it all together. Let me know.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsinour http:///forum/thread/386377/gauging-interest-people-interested-in-diy-led-builds#post_3393540
C channels should be just fine with el cheapo CPU fans. It depends on how long the c channel is and how many fans you plan to use. "O" tubes would be 'better' for fans having to need only 2. The thickness of the metal would come into play and the strength of the sucking/blowing power of the fans would also factor in. You could hide the wiring inside the tube for a cleaner look as well. Have you checked out heatsinksusa.com yet for prices? I could also ask my friend with the laser if he could put one together as well. I was thinking about using him for mine really. I know he does all kinds of aluminum work and can get it dirt cheap. then he would use the laser to cut it and I think he has a guy at his shop who can fab it all together. Let me know.
Not sure exactly what your referring to when you say "O" tubes???? I currently have "C" channel roughly 42" long and the material is roughly 1/4" thick. I did price out heat sinks from Heatsinkusa and they are rather "salty"...I'd be looking at roughly $500 just in heat sinks.

acrylic51

Here's a quick shot of the "C" channel I have.....Kind of a bad pic; not really showing the thickness though.....

sweatervest13

Interested!!! But I am already lost. Where is a good source to start educating myself on LED's? I have seen some builds on the big site but it seems like there is too many different opinions.

242bats

yes i am very interested!!!!!!! was just about to start making orders and just stoped in to see what was up and this was up

about the "c" channel what is your source for that and is cheaper and heatsink?
thanks

acrylic51

Interested!!! But I am already lost. Where is a good source to start educating myself on LED's? I have seen some builds on the big site but it seems like there is too many different opinions.
Honestly I've tagged alot of the threads over on RC!!!!! All are very good an enjoy reading. Soundwave's is probably 1 of the original , and is a good reference, but there are quite a few. When I get in this evening at some point I will link over a few I follow. Corey also has tons of good links, and has been tutoring me "after hours".... Somehow he's teaching "the old dog" new tricks!!!!!

acrylic51

yes i am very interested!!!!!!! was just about to start making orders and just stoped in to see what was up and this was up

about the "c" channel what is your source for that and is cheaper and heatsink?

thanks
Honestly, I just happened to be out and about and stopped in my local metal fab shop. The guy Todd does alot of fab work on race cars, and we started talking and he happened to have 10" "C" channel sitting there. Not really sure what the cost is, but got a deal since he ordered it for a job and it was the left overs. Pretty sure you won't find much bigger than 3"-4" at Lowes or HD though, so best guess is to call a local metal supplier and check I you want to go this route.
I did price heat sinks from heatsinkusa, and something in the line of what I want 10" x 52" run roughly $160.00. I am looking at 3 that size so it adds up pretty quick. Probably don't need a full 52", but a starting point though.

cipher43

Yep i plan on making one similar to 2Quills but may start out with less LEDs and see if i need more after i start. I plan on using inch wide C channel on mine making 4 bars with 12 cool white ,12blue, 12royal blue, and 12natural white mix on them, blues on one driver and whites on the other. also will expand another 12 to 24 LEDs once i get it up and going i think. just trying to save money and if i dont need that many lights i wont put them on. Im kinda interested in the HLGs also for dimming and number of bulbs they can run. hopefully 2Quills makes his first so i can see how his lights his 120 lol.

acrylic51

I'm not sure on the 1" wide "C" channel???!? I'm under the impression the LEDs mounted on the stars are in the range size wise of about an 1"?? Someone correct me if I'm wrong? To me wouldn't leave much room for heat to disipitate????
Every considering the build should consider how many LEDs, type of LEDs, and range they are going to run them at when considering drivers!!!!HLG's are very appealing IMHO. Hopefully Corey will jump in at some point and give some pointers; since I'm still learning as well.
You need to decide what LEDs your going to use for the build and go over the spec sheet and figure what your going to push them at. Depending on the Ma your pushing will dictate the forward voltage for that particular LED. Right now I'm considering either the HLG-185H-48B or the HLG-185H-42B. The original 185's will not be produced, but instead they made a change to them and will be the 185H's.
Still waiting to hear from contact on bulk pricing. Do have 1 list from 1 supplier waiting on the other.

monsinour

1" C channel is fine. The heat will disipate fine with a few fans. If your doing 10" wide C channel, then you can use that as your whole setup. It would be overkill, but that is how you do things.
"O" tube I guess would be standard metal tubing. Kinda like the roll bars on a car but obviously smaller and square. Have the ID be 1" and the OD be 1.25" with the thickness of the material .125". With this you would only need 2 fans, one to suck air in and one to blow air out. With C channel, depending on length, you might need more than 2 fans.
edit: Not sure but I think it is reefraff who has a LED setup using 1" wide heat sinks. I think it had 4 different bars with the LEDs on them. Its in a thread over in the DIY. Let me see if I can find it.
edit2: found it. https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/forum/thread/383238/led-diy-light-build/80#post_3355465 has pics with it an everythin.

acrylic51

Tubing I had read isn't very effective. Even cooling by blowing air through the tube not very effective??