GreenReefer's 24 gallon Aquapod

greenreefer

I own a software company (payroll and hr service for large companies) but this project was more of an economic development effort. the build will house hi-tech companies focused on national or global markets at all different stages of growth. So everything from touch down cubicles to fixed office suites. Its about 65000 square feet not counting the condos. the condos are intended to house graduate students from clemson and young single professionals

socalnano24

Wow, very impressive project. I'm in structural design, so always curious when people are involved with new buildings. Theres not a whole lot of business owners, directly connected with development. Very cool concept.

N

nemo_66

i see your making some money, or are planning on too. :p
building looks nice, my dad was a contractor, and i've helped build some houses with him, but only the houses that were being built for us. :D haha, so i know a little about construction/development. thank goodness he retired though about a year before the economy went south....

greenreefer

Thanks, good thing your dad got out before getting stuck with a bunch of inventory. Residential development is a tough business

king_neptune

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/3079611
I own a software company (payroll and hr service for large companies) but this project was more of an economic development effort. the build will house hi-tech companies focused on national or global markets at all different stages of growth. So everything from touch down cubicles to fixed office suites. Its about 65000 square feet not counting the condos. the condos are intended to house graduate students from clemson and young single professionals
I'm earning a degree in Information Security Systems. After my 4 year base, I want to do a two year add on..but I'm undecided. Maybe you would have some insight.
Option A:
MBA add on...this theoretically puts me in a position kinda in the middle of the company. I'd still be a nerd, but it also gives me the ability to communicate(and hold some level of credibility) with people on the executive level. And in theory, position of management, with lots of flexibility and room to grow.

[hr]
Option B:
Two year Technology add on. Pretty much..."Specialized Nerd"
Not a bad option either, definitely makes me a valuable asset to who ever I end up working for.

[hr]
After my 6 years is up, Ill take a cool decade break from school(give or take a few years), while I carve my niche in the field. But eventually I want to pursue a tech related PHD.
Lucky for me, I live in Western Washington, so I'm in an Ideal location to take advantage of anything technology related.
What do you think, option A? or option B?

[hr]
And your tank looking good. I was wanting to mimic your basic shape in the front, but have a solid wall in the back.
I am printing the pictures up myself to show to my dad. You said you used sand, but I cant really tell that any was put on with epoxy. I just want to make clear....you coated it all with epoxy and sprinkled sand on it correct?
Also the number of frag plugs, seemed like a lot, is it borderline too close? Or do you think they will be plenty spaced out.
I think I will go back to my foam wall build and drill frag plug holes in it now... what sized bit should I use? And do they need to be glued in place?
And got any photos of the rocks you used? what kind are they? The color seemed really "Vanilla". The rocks I have available to me are much darker tone.

king_neptune

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
http:///forum/post/3079315
I don't still have the bottles but it was the epoxy recommended in Kannin's build thread on reef.central. i picked it up as a hobby store. i don't think you'll find anything at Lowes or Home Depot.
I was happy with mine the way I did it, but the concrete might help weight the structure down.

Correct, you wont find it at lowes or Home depot.
But just go to ANY hobby store and ask for 20min cure Epoxy. Its the Mix A, Mix B...they all use the same brand as it is the number one for model construction.
I have used 5/20/30 min cure. And the 20 min cure was my favorite. I recommend heating the bottles in boiling water for about a minute right before you mix it. This loosens it up drastically and gives it the consistency of pancake syrup, which makes application much much easier/faster. Buy a pack of disposable brushes...usually sold right next to the glue.
Remember, because it is heated...it bonds faster. Hence...the 20 min cure begins to set in about 12-15 min...making it my favorite for application. Heat up the 5 min and it dries before you can pour it on...the 30 min runs out of place before it sets, leaving you with inconsistent gaps.
The 20 min is the baby bears porridge ^^ A single pack will cover about 2x2 foot patch.

greenreefer

Actually I'm not a huge fan of school, seems to discourage creativeness, but if you want to work for a large company with a more formal structure than option A. I think option B will limit career opportunities for you.
Thanks for the compliments. I did use epoxy and sand but it was aragamax so very mitral and uniform. Most of the rubble I used was collect on the beach in south Florida. It's all coral skeletons so very white. I through all of it in my LR container as I cooked LR for my 125 which is no longer set up. It was in the cooker for about 2 months but then I let it all dry out when I broke down the 125.
I found that a large leather punch from hobby lobby was perfect for cutting holes. They are snug enough that no glue is needed. My intent is to have a mostly zoa and paly tank so the spacing is good since I'm not worried about sweepers.
Hope that helps

king_neptune

Interesting, I was originally planing on option A myself for the exact same reasons. But B is still being considered since....I want to keep all options open. And a PHD would build better off B than it would A, however, for the time being I am leaning towards A myself as well.

greenreefer

I'm rethinking my stocking list. Here what I'm thinking, I've listed alternates in case I can't find my first choice.
Randall's Goby (Amblyeleotris Randalli) or Greenbanded Goby (Elacatinus Multifasciatus)
Red Sea Mimic Blenny (Ecsenius Gravieri) or Tailspot Blenny (Ecsenius Stigmatura)
Mystery Wrasse (Psuedochellinus Ocellatus) or Sixline Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus Hexataenia) or Twinspot Hogfish (Bodianus bimaculatus)
Pair of Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion Percula)
Thats 5 fish though, think it's too much? I could skip the pair of clowns and just go with a single.
"Marine Fishes" by Scott Michael says the blennies could nip at clam mantels. Have any of you kept either blenny with a clam? If so how did it go?

spanko

I love the greenbanded gobies. They are small enough and stay to the bottom of the tank that you could try to get a pair. The was a lady on another site who had them and they would have fry in the tank often.
I have a tailspot blenny, love this fish. Out in the open all the time. Has a hole he likes in a rock to sit a watch the tank go by. Spends time hanging out under and in the montipora cap. Will eat just about anything that is being fed but really like spirulina flakes and a nori sheet once in a while. Never have seen any clam mantle nipping.
Had a mystery wrasse. At my peppermint shrimp and pom-pom crab. But what a wonderful fish. Colorful, always zipping in and out of the rocks. Great color and movement addition to the tank. I have heard that they can get aggressive though I had not seen it with mine. Lost mine in a small tank crash. Replaced it with a carpenters flasher. I like this fish as well. You probably already know of the potential aggression with the sixline.
Pair of Percs would be okay. Have not had percs. Have had Occy's, just got rid of a pair that were big enough and bold enough to attack my hand and draw blood.

greenreefer

Thanks for the feedback. Any idea if two greenbanded will pair (change sexes) or if they need to be bought in pairs? Ever seen them anywhere offered in pairs?

spanko

from fishlist.
"Not sexually dimorphic.
However, when needed are capable of changing gender to accommodate breeding."
And from wikipedia.
"Gobiodon sp. start life as females, and are bi-directional protogynous hermaphrodites, meaning that when paired up, if necessary, one changes --- to form a breeding pair. In the case of two females forming a pair, the larger of the two becomes male, and in the case of two males, the smaller changes --- to become female."

nano-newb1983

Love the Mods dude, and the Building is Sweet
Are you hiring for any positions that require very little work but High pay? if so i want it lol

greenreefer

that's everyone that works for me :)
thanks for the compliments.
I'm headed to FL for vacation in 2 weeks and will be bringing back 10 - 15 frags to get this thing started :)

nissan577

well i cant believe i havent seen this! man that was an amazing ideal about making holes to put the plugs in! man this tank is gonna look so amazing!
love it!