Hefner's 180 Thread

leopard_babe

i am glad to hear that everything turned out great with the angel.
i am a nurse, i can definately say that it is easier to take care of people, then fish too. lol

People seem to heal faster and better then fish.
Congrats!!
Sorry to hear about the lion. Your new one looks great!!

G

gtdarock

I love the Lion Hef,sweetttttt ! How long will you have it in the QT -?

hefner413

Probably at 3 wks. He looks quite healthy and no signs of ich at all. I've been told that Lions generally are pretty safe.

reefer75

Hey Hef, I have a Volitan as well, and right now he is my only fish as I am slowly adding my stock. What will be with your Lion? I am at a loss, because every one tells me know angels, and no puffers. Sorry to butt in on your thread, just need some direction.

hefner413

Originally Posted by reefer75
http:///forum/post/2873000
Hey Hef, I have a Volitan as well, and right now he is my only fish as I am slowly adding my stock. What will be with your Lion? I am at a loss, because every one tells me know angels, and no puffers. Sorry to butt in on your thread, just need some direction.
Hey man, no prob. My stock list:
Queen angel (changing)
Emperor angel (juvi)
striped dogface puffer
volitan lion
lunare wrasse
blue tang
zebra eel
snowflake eel
I've been fortunate - nobody bothers my lion so far. The biggest risk is with the puffer. My striped dogface could care less about the lion though. My angels could care less too.
But since your lion is already in your tank, it could possibly have the advantage, being that it will be the established fish when you add new stock. Usually the rule is - add the most aggressive fish last and/or add or angels last. I took a risk and added my lion last - but didn't have any probs.
My biggest recommendation - have a QT. Quarantine all new fish. And if you transfer to your DT and things don't go well, you can quickly transfer back to the QT.
Originally Posted by ca161406

http:///forum/post/2873025
that thing is beastly!
Thanks man! Yeah, I really like this guy.

hefner413

sorry guys... it's been a while. things been a little busy over the holiday and then more busy after...
But yeah - I'll have to take some pics though - I finally got the cyano cleared up and it seems to be staying away. So I'll get a FTS now that it's gone...
My latest project - I just put in a big order at Dr F&S. I was down to my last 5 gal bucket of salt... so I figured I would get some more...and then I started thinking of setting up a better water changing system (I'm getting tired of trying to do things upstairs when my ro/di and water tanks are downstairs
). Sooo - I got a Mag 12 along with a bit of plumbing - and I'm going to set up a system going from downstairs to my 2 tanks. Hopefully I'll keep up with water changes better. I'll be able to use the same plumbing to pull water out of the tanks and put new in. I'll post pics of this once I get it going.
Side note - regarding the salt - I got a pretty good deal (so I got a ton
)
Instant ocean 50lb mix X3 on sale for 29.99 (160g mix runs $42) --> so I got 10 (30bags) of these ($300).
Reef Crystals 50lb mix X3 for 34.99 (160g runs $47) --> so got 5 (15bags) of these ($175).
What's crazy about Dr F&S is that S/H is only 18.99 for the entire order... period. That's the biggest reason I got so much at once. You can't beat the shipping price - so not a bad idea to stock up...
Overall - yeah, I spent a bit on just salt, but it's enough for 2,250gal of changes... if I change 10% (~26g overall from both tanks) every 2 weeks, I'll have enough salt for ~ 3yrs 4mos

A

arlene1995

Man, what a deal!!! Gotta love that place!!! Was that all 5 gallon buckets?!? If it is, wow, I feel bad for the delivery guy... LOL

crypt keeper

will the salt stay usable that long? That is awesome by the way. and that Lion. You all and your lions are going to make me start another tank and buy one

hefner413

Originally Posted by Arlene1995
http:///forum/post/2919187
Man, what a deal!!! Gotta love that place!!! Was that all 5 gallon buckets?!? If it is, wow, I feel bad for the delivery guy... LOL
I think it's even worse - w/ 5 gal buckets, you at least have a handle. This is groups of 3bags of 50g mix. So unless they ship 3 bags inside a 5 gal bucket... the delivery guy is going to be delivering a total of 45 bags of 50g mix. I'm not sure if it will be in boxes or what.
Originally Posted by crypt keeper

http:///forum/post/2919302
will the salt stay usable that long? That is awesome by the way. and that Lion. You all and your lions are going to make me start another tank and buy one
I don't think the salt really has an expiration date, as long as you keep it dry. Salt in itself is what we use to preserve stuff, so I figure a bag of salt will last pretty much forever.

iyachtuxivm

Hey its good to see ya back! Cant wait for the update pics.
How did you finally resolve the cyano issue? I think ill have to use the chemiclean. I have done everything but chemicals. Feeding down to only twice a week, weekly w/c, lowered the light period, added more flow, changed flow directions, put a different power head on my cpr refuge more flow and better airation for the skimmer. I dont get it! Well anyway good to see ya back

hefner413

Wow. It's been since January since I've posted... ouch. I always hated it when people had a thread going and dropped off the face of the earth - and now I'm that guy.
Well. The tank is still running... A couple things have happened in the meantime..
Something (no idea what) made my tank crash back in September. EVERYTHING died (my queen, blue tang, desjardinii, lunare...) all but my striped dogface and the eels - zebra and snowflake (these were on the brink of death though too). The coral survived too somehow.
...Well, I'm on the road to recovery. I let everything settle and restarted the QT. 3 months later - and now I have my first group to add back - I got an Emperor angel and a Queen angel and yellow tang (wife really loves the YT). I also got a Harlequin Tusk, but it unfortunately died withing 2 hrs of arrival. I also got a small PP puffer (got it for free through SWF).
Once these have gone from the QT to the display in ~ 6 wks, then I'm putting in another order. Likely a Radiatta, a blue tang, a Harlequin tusk, and a sargassum trigger.
I'll get you all some pics here soon. I'm way overdue.