Here I go!

earlybird

I still have some trites so I can't get my cleaners yet. When they hit zero and I beging feeding my DT I'll get some. I'm not quite at 2 weeks and don't want to kill anything. I can wait.

renogaw

Originally Posted by earlybird
Question- I've had some blue media pad in my sump wedged between baffles since I began my cycle. It is very discolored and dirty. Do I leave it? What should I do with it?
is the media pad about 1/2" thick blue and white, or is a sponge of some type? get the camera :)

renogaw

that's the stuff i use in my drip filter for my wet/dry. it comes in a sheet about 1.5'x3' for like 6 bucks. just replace it. and... you just helped me figure out how i'm going to filter my new fuge/sump :)

renogaw

cheap enough to replace, plus it can get REALLY clogged. if it gets saturated enough, it will let stuff through as well. I generally replace mine every week.

azfishgal

Glad I could help. I wasn't sure if I should leave it, squeeze it out, or replace it. Thanks.
I clean mine out with every water change (using the saltwater I take out) and then stick it back in (I will also take off some of the pods that are stuck and put them in the DT). It's been two months now, so next time I'm replacing it with a new one. IMO it holds the good bacteria so, I didn't want to take it out to soon. Now that my tank has been up and running for a while taking it out won't take away the good bacteria because it's now all over my tank.

azfishgal

Woke up to find that my diatoms have faded a lot over night. How photosynthetic are diatoms? I'm wondering if they will be back this afternoon when my lights are on for a while.
IMO diatoms are photosynthetic. When I started to get my diatoms bloom I reduced my lighting and it seemed to really help. Of course the clean up crew did the rest once I added them.

earlybird

Originally Posted by azfishgal
IMO diatoms are photosynthetic. When I started to get my diatoms bloom I reduced my lighting and it seemed to really help. Of course the clean up crew did the rest once I added them.
I haven't changed my lighting since the onset of the diatoms and they are slowly going away.
I have a little hair algae here and there but I also have some algae that looks like grass. It looks different than the hair algae but it may be the same. I really need a better camera.

reefforbrains

going to hit 4 pages and not a single fish yet. You feel the love I hope. Everyone is exited for this tank. Chomping at the bit to add something I bet.

earlybird

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
going to hit 4 pages and not a single fish yet. You feel the love I hope. Everyone is exited for this tank. Chomping at the bit to add something I bet.
RFB
My patience is holding up quite well actually. I'm shocked to be honest. I'm really enjoying the cycling process and I'm using the time to really learn my system. I test daily and am keeping good records of my parameters and other stuff I'm even graphing my cycle on both DT and QT.

reefforbrains

make sure and rub it in to Reno about your graph or even better yet, post a mini screen shot of the graph of your water trends. LOL

imfsub12

EarlyBird ---
just wondering how big your QT is??? and you said your DT was 29 G, mine is too any just looking to see what you added to your QT... like equipment...
thanks

earlybird

Originally Posted by ReefForBrains
make sure and rub it in to Reno about your graph or even better yet, post a mini screen shot of the graph of your water trends. LOL
Ha I'm afraid to post it b/c I'm using my daughters crayons to chart. Looks funny but I can understand.

earlybird

Originally Posted by imfsub12
EarlyBird ---
just wondering how big your QT is??? and you said your DT was 29 G, mine is too any just looking to see what you added to your QT... like equipment...
thanks
My QT is 10g from walmart with a cheapo whisper filter and inside the filter box is 2 fluval filter sponges. I've attached a maxijet 600 with the hydor rotating deflector for added circulation. Then 2 pieces of PVC and am cycling with LR. Thats it.

earlybird

Originally Posted by imfsub12
EarlyBird ---
thanks
My QT is 10g from walmart with a cheapo whisper filter and inside the filter box is 2 fluval filter sponges. I've attached a maxijet 600 with the hydor rotating deflector for added circulation. Then 2 pieces of PVC and am cycling with LR. A heater and thermometer. Thats it.

imfsub12

Ha I'm afraid to post it b/c I'm using my daughters crayons to chart. Looks funny but I can understand.

can we please see it..

reefkprz

You know we are all going to pester you untill you show the crayon chart.... And I have all day off tommorrow. I could cut and paste a thousand posts in short order....