Heres how to REMOVE ICH from FISH safely!

dhav

it was Hypo and yes it was several weeks before I got the gravity down to where it was required for the ich to die off.
GUYS SORRY FOR MY ORIGINAL POST, i wrote it real quick while I'm at work....

dhav

Originally Posted by NigerBang
You said Dip....Thats a ton dif. than "I treated for 3 week".....Sorry, I just dont believe that edit...No big deal, Right...There are in your tank..Not mine..
There is no such Invert-Safe Ich meds....
Your against QT's....Okay...Good luck...Next time you add a fish that infects the rest of the inhabitants....Think of me, and my Ichless tank..Then think of that $30 QT tank..

My tank is doing great, NO Ich. I've introduced 2 fish a week ago, and the new comers are doing fine too. Don't think so highly of yourself NigerBang! I really don't care if you believe my edit was falsfied. I'm not here to prove to you my situation. Just giving some insight on how Hypo didn't work for me. If QT works for you, then GREAT.

crimzy

dhav, you're fighting a losing battle here. This issue has been argued at nauseum on this forum. The fact is that many people will not accept the possibility of success with this med, irrespective of how many people have had personal successes. Just take some value in the knowledge that you've gained and realize, as I do, that some of the fish dr.'s here are doing a disservice to people by failing to acknowledge the experiences that are contrary to their opinions.

nigerbang

Originally Posted by crimzy
dhav, you're fighting a losing battle here. This issue has been argued at nauseum on this forum. The fact is that many people will not accept the possibility of success with this med, irrespective of how many people have had personal successes. Just take some value in the knowledge that you've gained and realize, as I do, that some of the fish dr.'s here are doing a disservice to people by failing to acknowledge the experiences that are contrary to their opinions.
I said if it worked...Thats great and hope you continue to have luck...I will stick with what I know...There is NO invert safe ich medicine..

mujtba

Originally Posted by NigerBang
I said if it worked...Thats great and hope you continue to have luck...I will stick with what I know...There is NO invert safe ich medicine..
Ofcourse there isn't... lets fail all lab results before anything ever comes out since you all feel theres no INVERT SAFE medicine. Theres also no cure to the common cold.. so no one should spend a dime on researching one. Some of you need to think outside of the box. There is more than one way to skin a cat. For those of you who feel you are Mr/Mrs Knowitalls, you won't get very far in life. If the world thought that way, we would all be in Geico commercials.
NigerBang, my cleaner shrimp gives a shout out to ya

yogoshio

Niger Bang is just one of those blokes who has done all the reading but not the experience. It's like parenting. There are those who experience parenting, and then there are those who are book parents. Quarantine tanking has been downplayed by the owner of two lfs, both of which have been in the business for 30+ years. One has a son who also owns a fish warehouse and sells to dealers, who's been doing that for over 20 years, and they both know that quarantine is an option, but it's not the be-all end-all.

nigerbang

Okay....Since you all believe there is invert safe ICH medicine....Why dont you research what ICH is...Okay I will spoil the suprise...its an......INVERT...

nigerbang

Originally Posted by Yogoshio
Niger Bang is just one of those blokes who has done all the reading but not the experience. It's like parenting. There are those who experience parenting, and then there are those who are book parents. Quarantine tanking has been downplayed by the owner of two lfs, both of which have been in the business for 30+ years. One has a son who also owns a fish warehouse and sells to dealers, who's been doing that for over 20 years, and they both know that quarantine is an option, but it's not the be-all end-all.
Trust me...I have tons more exp than you...I have watched tanks crash from adding Chemicals into them...I have added ICH into tanks from not QT'ing I have watched $100 fish eaten by anems....Dont tell me about learning..I learned what I know the hard way..

geridoc

Here we go, again. The hallmark of a scientific fraud is a claim for an action by a "secret" ingredient. All that means is that there is no active ingredient, and sometimes a disease gets better anyway, without treatment. Science requires no secrets so that a claim can be tested by other than anecdotes. Hyposalinity and copper have been demonstrated in scientific studies to eliminate ich. If you contact ChemMarin, no doubt they will tell you that they have extensive "in house" studies that prove the efficacy of Stop Parasite, but that the studies are proprietary, and cannot be released. In other words, b***s**t. If this product seems to have worked, then maybe it did work, or maybe it wasn't ich, or maybe...well, maybe anything since there is no science to support whatever the claim is. I'll stick with proven cures - in the long run they are easier on the fish (unless you consider dying easy).

mujtba

Originally Posted by GeriDoc
Here we go, again. The hallmark of a scientific fraud is a claim for an action by a "secret" ingredient. All that means is that there is no active ingredient, and sometimes a disease gets better anyway, without treatment. Science requires no secrets so that a claim can be tested by other than anecdotes. Hyposalinity and copper have been demonstrated in scientific studies to eliminate ich. If you contact ChemMarin, no doubt they will tell you that they have extensive "in house" studies that prove the efficacy of Stop Parasite, but that the studies are proprietary, and cannot be released. In other words, b***s**t. If this product seems to have worked, then maybe it did work, or maybe it wasn't ich, or maybe...well, maybe anything since there is no science to support whatever the claim is. I'll stick with proven cures - in the long run they are easier on the fish (unless you consider dying easy).
Maybe you just need to realize that theres more than meets the eye... You think I didn't do my research? And a day after my dosage, just coincidentally ICH fell off? Keep telling yourself that.

nigerbang

Well...No need to go in circles with the same old stuff....
Good Luck...I really mean it..To everyone who uses chems...Good Luck...I hope I have the same luck as you guys..I suppose we will have to agree to disagree..

rbaldino

Originally Posted by dhav
it was Hypo and yes it was several weeks before I got the gravity down to where it was required for the ich to die off.
GUYS SORRY FOR MY ORIGINAL POST, i wrote it real quick while I'm at work....

Then how did it kill your fish within a matter of seconds as you previously stated?

mujtba

FYI, I have a fuge with all my pods still alive and well. I have a cleaner and coral banded shrimp. I have many zoas, few SPS birdsnest, some LPS corals, 2 anemones, clownfish, and mixture of other corals..
I keep telling you guys this is NOT 'real' medicine. It accelerates the SLIME on the fish to have the ICH drop of at a MUCH faster rate and gives the ICH a place to host.
I wish this company paid me to spend so much time talking on their product... but Im not going to go BACK and FORTH with all the members in a debate..
I thought some of you may want to save a fish or two.. Its up to you. Good Luck with whatever road you take... if you think its easier to empty the whole tank go4it!

jamesbuf

Jeez. Just get a UV sterilizer and be done with it. Clears your water, if if exposure is sufficient, it will kill protozoans in the water as well. I quarantine and still had 2 ich outbreaks kill over $200 in fish each time. I dropped $300 on a good aqua UV sterilizer and haven't had any problems since. I'll never run a tank without UV ever again.

renogaw

That is why I am against taking the fish out of its envirnoment *******, it didn't work for me. I don't believe I'll use a QT if I have a situation like this agian. And no, it was not a freshwater dip, I just worded it wrong, but corrected myself.

i think s/he swore at me..

renogaw

erm, that's your problem as well. several weeks to drop the salinity? it is supposed to be over 48 hours.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I also say that these types of medications "may work, or may not work". However, I feel that other alternative treatments that DO work are preferable. Crimzy, its too bad you continue to take issue with that, but, like you, I'm entitled to my opinion. And my opinion is backed by knowledgeable, well published people.
Its a sad thing to have an ich break out in your display tank, especially if that tank is a reef tank. Do you think that adding medications to a reef tank does not have some kind of effect on the entire ecosystem?
Ultimately the best treatment is to quarantine fish prior to putting them in your tank, and then treating them in the QT. And for reefers, who have thousands sunk into their systems, its just crazy, imo, to risk everything just to avoid setting up a 20 gal quarantine.
There may be rare instances where hypo doesn't work, but mostly that is due to hobbyist error.
mujtba, I hope this medication works for you. Your time is not time wasted; I'm adding this topic to the FAQ. So much for me being totally one sided, and unyielding.

geridoc

Originally Posted by mujtba
Maybe you just need to realize that theres more than meets the eye... You think I didn't do my research? And a day after my dosage, just coincidentally ICH fell off? Keep telling yourself that.
I don't deny that there might be more than meets the eye. I'm only saying that there is nothing meeting the eye except a couple of anecdotal reports - the same type that has poor cancer patients running to Mexico to be poisoned by avocado pits. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't. But there are treatments for ich that do work - proven in repeated scientific studies, not isolated anecdotes.
Quarantine tanking has been downplayed by the owner of two lfs, both of which have been in the business for 30+ years. One has a son who also owns a fish warehouse and sells to dealers, who's been doing that for over 20 years, and they both know that quarantine is an option, but it's not the be-all end-all.
I agree with these relative newcomers (I have more experience then they do, plus a Ph.D. in marine biology and 5 years working in the pet fish industry before I moved to academia) - they can't quarantine: it is too expensive, time consuming, and business depressing (quarantined fish live longer, so they sell fewer). I don't blame them for being negative about QT - they need to make a living, and keeping fish in isolation for weeks is just impossible. However, it is just the prescription for the hobby fish keeper.

renogaw

Originally Posted by Beth
And for reefers, who have thousands sunk into their systems, its just crazy, imo, to risk everything just to avoid setting up a 20 gal quarantine.

come on beth... that extra $40 could be a coral... much more important.
hey, i've yet to be sworn at on these boards (usually that's on --), do you think
was a swear at me? i'm haivng such a great night with my DT leaking, i would really find this funny!