Heres how to REMOVE ICH from FISH safely!

coral keeper

Originally Posted by renogaw
yes. as long as you get all the snails out of the sand.

Ok, thanks for the info! There is NO invert in the tank that im doing hypo in. I'm doing hypo in the main tank. Is it allright to do hypo in the main tank? The only thing thats in the main tank right now is sand and fish, all the live rock and invets are in a diff tank. Is it ok to have your SG lvl at 1.008-1.007? I dont want to do it at 1.009 because i got a glass hydrometer, and i cant get a refractometer, and i cant go to LFS everyday so they can test my SG lvl.

mujtba

Originally Posted by Beth
mujtba, I hope this medication works for you. Your time is not time wasted; I'm adding this topic to the FAQ. So much for me being totally one sided, and unyielding.
Beth, where in the FAQ is it?
just wanna be appreciated...

crimzy

Originally Posted by Beth
However, I feel that other alternative treatments that DO work are preferable. Crimzy, its too bad you continue to take issue with that, but, like you, I'm entitled to my opinion. And my opinion is backed by knowledgeable, well published people.

Honestly Beth I have no problem with people having an opinion that's different from mine. But with this issue, I wonder how much personal experience you truly have with this and other meds. No offense intended but for a while people thought the earth was flat and that penicillin was a voodoo, snake oil. I can only tell you that I have been very impressed with the results of this product, in my tank and other tanks I've seen. BTW, I've used melafix and pimafix with excellent success also, but that is another issue altogether.
You can disagree but with these meds it seems that the response is so vehemently defensive that it becomes silly. You give your head banging, Journey with his theory that the ick just lived out it's lifespan and died of natural causes. Niger offers the bold statement that it is impossible that this med can work because ich is an invert. I just don't understand why the suggestion of this med seems to threaten so many people.
Maybe someone can explain to me, why is the suggestion of an effective medication met with so much resistance? I just don't get it.

nigerbang

Sucks about a leaking DT... If it makes you feel better, I am dealing with a fish you jumped into the overflow and lodged itself into my Durso!! About 80% blockage

1journeyman

Originally Posted by crimzy
... You give your head banging, Journey with his theory that the ick just lived out it's lifespan and died of natural causes. ...
...Maybe someone can explain to me, why is the suggestion of an effective medication met with so much resistance? I just don't get it.
Me asking "Are you certain the ich "falling off" wasn't just part of the natural life cycle of the ich?" is not really what I would call vehement opposition. Many, many folks don't understand the life cycle of Ich. My suggestion is certainly possible.
Medications are met with resistance because many of us have seen and heard of tanks that were wiped out by snake oils, wrapped in fish medication bottles, promising the world.
Hypo works. Copper works. They are time tested. Posting a thread stating that Ich was cured in a tank that's only been symptom free for 1 month is misleading.
Crimzy, go back and read the original post. Do you agree with everything the original poster says?
There was a thread a few weeks ago that quoted Dr. Fenner as not being a fan of Hypo for Ich. FWIW, he's apparently also not sold on the claims of Chem Marine.

myreef05

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Just a quick question, Can i do hypo in a tank that has sand in it and is Without rocks.
Yes you can but you will KILL the bacteria and beneficial critters in the sand.

crimzy

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Me asking "Are you certain the ich "falling off" wasn't just part of the natural life cycle of the ich?" is not really what I would call vehement opposition. Many, many folks don't understand the life cycle of Ich. My suggestion is certainly possible.
Medications are met with resistance because many of us have seen and heard of tanks that were wiped out by snake oils, wrapped in fish medication bottles, promising the world.
Hypo works. Copper works. They are time tested. Posting a thread stating that Ich was cured in a tank that's only been symptom free for 1 month is misleading.
Crimzy, go back and read the original post. Do you agree with everything the original poster says?
There was a thread a few weeks ago that quoted Dr. Fenner as not being a fan of Hypo for Ich. FWIW, he's apparently also not sold on the claims of Chem Marine.
I can't say that I agree with everything the original poster said/did but I do believe that he got the desired result from Stop Parasite. QT, copper and hypo are fine treatments... not absolute but pretty good. However there are a lot of people, including me, who either can't or decide not to use a QT. Personally, I don't use it because my fish are large and a 55 QT simply wouldn't house most of my fish for any amount of time. I don't have the room for another 100 gallon tank in the house and don't really need one because of the results I've gotten from meds when I've had an issue.
When people come to this board and let people know that they don't have QT, they are not advised at all about the other options that people have had success with. Essentially they are shamed by people until they stop posting and my guess is that their fish typically die.
I have seen so many people who have had good results with Stop Parasite... are they all just on here lying? Or is it a coincidence? Or maybe, does this product have some value? If the concept of increasing the slime coat is effective, then maybe great strides have and will be made in this field. Although many people will continue claim that the earth is flat.

1journeyman

I've read info on the Stop Parasite webpage and I have some real issues with their ideas.
"...remember as long as the fish are in copper Parasites will not be visible.."
"....If these signs are present it most likely has or eventually will soon encounter a Bacteria infection that will cause a major outbreak of Ich which will not only jeopardize the fish infected but all the fish in your show tank...."
"We at Chem-Marin have been testing Erythromycin in reef systems for the last 4 years all over the U,S with a 99% success rate with out harming the most delicate species, this includes corals inverts and fish, not to mention your bacteria bed as long as your system is a year or more old..."
"Add 5 drops of Stop Parasites to the tank water twice daily for 4-5 days after new fish are introduced to prevent stress induced parasites in the new fish as well as the old ones...."
I don't understand how a product can work in fresh and saltwater. Lastly, I don't buy the "Ich magnet" that supposedly attracts all the free-swimming Ich. I just don't think you can assume it works 100%. A fallow display does.

viper_930

I just don't think you can assume it works 100%.
Not 100%, they said 99%. Get it right man.
jk

rbaldino

I don't understand how a product can work in fresh and saltwater.
I have something to say on that. When I first got my tomato clown, he developed a fungal infection in QT. I tried Pimafix to no effect, then Pimafix and Melafix, and still no effect. I went to a big pet store and grabbed a fungal medication powder. As soon as I got home, I read the instructions and added the medication. After adding the med, I realized it was meant for freshwater. I felt stupid, but decided to see what would happen. After a couple of days, the fish was looking better, so I followed up with a second dose, as per the instructions. Within a few days, the infection was gone, so I followed up with a treatment of both Pimafix and Melafix to help the fish heal. The tomato must have been in QT for about a month and a half, but he made it and is loving life in my DT. So, apparently a freshwater med can work in saltwater.

renogaw

Originally Posted by mujtba
FYI, I have a fuge with all my pods still alive and well. I have a cleaner and coral banded shrimp. I have many zoas, few SPS birdsnest, some LPS corals, 2 anemones, clownfish, and mixture of other corals..
I keep telling you guys this is NOT 'real' medicine. It accelerates the SLIME on the fish to have the ICH drop of at a MUCH faster rate and gives the ICH a place to host.
I wish this company paid me to spend so much time talking on their product... but Im not going to go BACK and FORTH with all the members in a debate..

I thought some of you may want to save a fish or two.. Its up to you. Good Luck with whatever road you take... if you think its easier to empty the whole tank go4it!
the more and more i think about this post, and this line especially, i can't help to think that you are actually advertising for this different treatment that no one has ever heard of before.

mujtba

renogaw
ive been on this forum and some others for 3+yrs.. go see my history and if there are links to chemmarin.. Crimzy has tried this product b4 i ever did.. Before I got this, I tried to get KICK ICH.. but call all the pet shops around 19020.. NO ONE HAS IT.. but one LFS had the chem marin one.. thats how I ended up with it and tried my technique.. worked GREAT!!! in fact, to supplement the medication, I purchased a cleaner shrimp as well.. he helped with the cleaning of fish and still is alive!

dhav

Originally Posted by NigerBang
Trust me...I have tons more exp than you...I have watched tanks crash from adding Chemicals into them...I have added ICH into tanks from not QT'ing I have watched $100 fish eaten by anems....Dont tell me about learning..I learned what I know the hard way..
NigerBang you apparently think that you created this hobby and your the only one that knows the ins and outs. You believe that you're the only one that learned the hard way by losing fish. We all have lost fish, and learned from it. Do us all a favor and stop being so stubborn. Try to be alittle liberal about things. You have completely cause an outrage on this board, and I think you should rethink what you say to people. We are only posting our experiences. So Relax!

dhav

Originally Posted by rbaldino
Then how did it kill your fish within a matter of seconds as you previously stated?
rbalkdinio whatever you name is, If you continue scrolling up youll read that I corrected my previous post. We are past this part, stop starting up something that has been already surpassed. If this is really bothering you then ill buy you a slice of pizza.

clown boy

Learnin' an' learnin'... this is a great thread... it presents both sides of the debate and shows which one holds out. Go Beth and 10journeymen!

renogaw

i seriuosly wish we could get the ok to post to other sites. there are 4 AWESOME websites that debunc all these meds and other ways of treating ich, all done by independant marine biologists and p.h.d.'s and ALL say there are only two ways to absolutely cure ich: copper and hypo, and all also say hypo is prefered because it is less stressful.

1journeyman

i seriuosly wish we could get the ok to post to other sites. there are 4 AWESOME websites that debunc all these meds and other ways of treating ich, all done by independant marine biologists and p.h.d.'s and ALL say there are only two ways to absolutely cure ich: copper and hypo, and all also say hypo is prefered because it is less stressful.
Summarize, quote the articles, and provide names of authors.

crimzy

Again, I have no idea why it's so important to people to contradict any claim of success with certain medications. Nobody is really disputing hypo as a treatment. Personally, I have seen many people, including journey and beth, criticize the use of copper. However, when a person posts, "I don't have a QT for .... reason and I have ich." Instead of spending the next 20 posts chastising this person, why not let him/her know that there are people who have had good results using another method. Why is this such a problem for people?