Hitchhiker Identifications

paintballer768

I got some LR today and had some amazingly weird hitch hiker. It was mounted on a rock, and nearly translucent. I dont have any picks cu I just removed it from my tank. It was jellylike in feel on the rock, so it scraped off easy.
What it did was had a very fine, clear tentacle in the water sticking out, with little tentacles branched out from the main one, like the structure when you look at the underside of a leaf. Then it had a second tentacle it would shoot out into the water, maybe about 7" long, and retract back in. The main part of this thing was maybe 1/2" across. It never hurt anything cuz nothing was around it, but I didnt let it stay to find out. Any id please? Didnt look like any pictures in the sticky.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by paintballer768
I got some LR today and had some amazingly weird hitch hiker. It was mounted on a rock, and nearly translucent. I dont have any picks cu I just removed it from my tank. It was jellylike in feel on the rock, so it scraped off easy.
What it did was had a very fine, clear tentacle in the water sticking out, with little tentacles branched out from the main one, like the structure when you look at the underside of a leaf. Then it had a second tentacle it would shoot out into the water, maybe about 7" long, and retract back in. The main part of this thing was maybe 1/2" across. It never hurt anything cuz nothing was around it, but I didnt let it stay to find out. Any id please? Didnt look like any pictures in the sticky.
Found out what it is. Spionids polychaete worms.

nate487

Originally Posted by astross89

These little white dots. They maybe even considered a light lavender color??? Anyone know what they are?
not sure what they are but was wondering i have the same thing on my back and side glass

dub tek

I have been trying to ID since its discovery
It has NO eyes that I can see
It seams to "suck" the glass like sanils
Has snail type mouth
Has some hard spikes that are retractable on its back
spikes are (hook shaped, bone hard, brown+white)
it can vary its size by nearly 80%
around 6+1/2" in length
shrinks down to 2" curls into round coil + spikes out when disturbed
When it's understerbed it looks like pictured.
ANY HELP WITH ID WOULD BE GREAT
IS IT DANGEROUS??
HARMLESS like snail??
web links??
Thanks ALL
Dub Tek..

Originally Posted by dub tek
I have been trying to ID since its discovery
It has NO eyes that I can see
It seams to "suck" the glass like sanils
Has snail type mouth
Has some hard spikes that are retractable on its back
spikes are (hook shaped, bone hard, brown+white)
it can vary its size by nearly 80%
around 6+1/2" in length
shrinks down to 2" curls into round coil + spikes out when disturbed
When it's understerbed it looks like pictured.
ANY HELP WITH ID WOULD BE GREAT
IS IT DANGEROUS??
HARMLESS like snail??
web links??
Thanks ALL
Dub Tek..

I'm pretty sure thats a chitin, which is just an algae grazer. Go to wetwebmedia and look under chitins, I think there are some that look like that.

dub tek

Originally Posted by Samurai_Sushi
http:///forum/post/2444902
I'm pretty sure thats a chitin, which is just an algae grazer. Go to wetwebmedia and look under chitins, I think there are some that look like that.

I checked wetwebmedia and found NOTHING
I have been searching high + low to verify WHAT this is and
NO LUCK ANYWHERE...
someone else have any other ides?

murf48

I've had this growing bigger and bigger since I did a scape change a couple of months ago. Can't tell if it's an Anemone or Coral.
Please ID

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by Murf48
http:///forum/post/2455284
I've had this growing bigger and bigger since I did a scape change a couple of months ago. Can't tell if it's an Anemone or Coral.
Please ID

Pseudocorynactis Ball anemone

Z

zibbyds

Originally Posted by romeofoeve
http:///forum/post/1199485
Worms, i dont have the id for them.
is this a peanut worm??? i have one in one of my rocks that looks real close to this. what is it..........help us!!!

jman72

I have tons of those in my tank. They are just some mushroom anemones/mushrrom corals that lack symbiotic algae. They are harmless. I have on that is about 1 inch, and it seems like they will grow a lot in a well fed tank. However, they don't get very large (mine probably won't grow anymore).