Hitchhiker Identifications

heatheryjoy

What is this tiny thing? It hasn't gotten any bigger since I noticed it several weeks ago. It is right in the direct path of my powerhead.

Is this aiptasia (sp?) I was 99% sure it was but I have two peppermint shrimp that won't touch it. It also hasn't spread or gotten much bigger in the several weeks since I noticed it. Thanks guys!

heatheryjoy

Originally Posted by heatheryjoy
http:///forum/post/2500698
What is this tiny thing? It hasn't gotten any bigger since I noticed it several weeks ago. It is right in the direct path of my powerhead.

Is this aiptasia (sp?) I was 99% sure it was but I have two peppermint shrimp that won't touch it. It also hasn't spread or gotten much bigger in the several weeks since I noticed it. Thanks guys!

When I woke up this morning the aiptasia (second and third pictures) was gone! I guess the peppermints finally worked up an appetite! Still not sure of the first one.

dryvern

Can't find the pics of my 7 & 8 legged starfish...1 cm, white cream, & rock hard. Have to take some more. They split & breed.
Do however have a pic of this bugger .. Xanthid Hairy crab, body tad over 1 1/2" or 3-4" leg to leg (walking or no):

he's in the bucket now..staring at me!
Think he's a bit pi$$ed..boy he put up a fight.
Thought there was fry around him in the tank, but the're in the bucket water I took out too....eyes reflect amber & seem to have a long clear tail approx 4mm.

rgf1046

Stomatella snail -
Just got this I'd yesterday, I had no idea what they were. After doing some reading it looks like they are beneficial.

apos

Yep. The only problem I've ever heard with them is their size: they are often small enough to crawl into things like circulation fans, which can lead to snail frappe. But... on the other hand, they also aren't big enough that their deaths will be anything other than food for detrivores.

condyman

Check out the little aip on this picture, but what the heck is the webbing bug on my rock. his tube has been getting long and long ove the past 4 months. you couldn't see any tube when i first got the rock. what is this bug/snail called??

bang guy

Originally Posted by Condyman
http:///forum/post/2509715
Check out the little aip on this picture, but what the heck is the webbing bug on my rock. his tube has been getting long and long ove the past 4 months. you couldn't see any tube when i first got the rock. what is this bug/snail called??
Vermitid Snail.

condyman

Thanks, I've researched them a little. I hope they don't become a neusence like i've heard. i already found 3 small ones around the tank.

fatcat

Originally Posted by Farmboy
http:///forum/post/1212890
This thing is strange looking and hasn't moved/deteriorated. Some shell left from an animal?
Ya what is that thing??? I have one in my tank it looks like it's a filter feeder almost like scallop..

phatford

Snail of some kind. Tough to get a picture of this bugger. He is VERY fast for a snail. Has a snorkel looking thing.

jtma508

So the tank has been kinda boring being only a couple weeks into its cycle. Then this guy showed up this morning:

I noticed after checking on him that he had wahat appeared to be some kind of 'thingy' attached to his tail end:

Then it seemed to expel the 'thingy' which drifted off into the tank somewhere. Doesn't look like poop. Any ideas campers??

namas05

Looks like some sort of cucumber or sea apple, something to that effect any ways.
Well that is my best guess,,

bang guy

It looks to me like a sessile cucumber that has been somehow extracted from it's hole in the rock. The tentacles don't look right to be a Medusa Worm.
Calling Ophiura!

jtma508

According to Leslie Harris of the LA Natural History Museum the mystery creature is a terebellid polychaete. Apparently he has left his tube (someone mentioned this possibility earlier) and is in distress (duh! The tank is cycling, Hello?). She also thinks that the spikey thingy it expelled is some sort of parasitic pod (kinda large for a pod, no?).