Hitchhiker Identifications

bret61081

This guy is always out cruisung around on my live rock...about 2 inches or so long...I think its a fire worm or something like that but its always all over the tank!! As long as its doing no harm(that I know of) he can stay! looks kinda cool!

philgmiami

I FOUND IT IN MY OVER FLOW ALIVE!!!. I GOT HIM OUT WITH A PAIR OF TWEZZERS AND KILLED IT BY MISTAKE ACTAULY. WAS IT GOOD?, BAD?.. IT WASAT LEAST 3 1/2 INCHES LONG AND AS THICK AS A PENCIL....IT HAS SOME KINDA SPIKES ON ITS BIG PART OF BODY AND A SUCTION CUP LOOKING THING THAT COMES IN AND OUT ON ONE END :thinking: ..

angelsrock

Originally Posted by Stachy
Its a Peanut worm, GOOD>
is a peanut worm harmful or harmless, should i get rid of it or keep it

appaloosa1

These mushrooms just showed up on my live rock. They are huge and really beautiful. Anyone know what kind they are? Mr. Crabbie what got me started with my tank. He was tiny and hiding in a big shell. Hes a striped hermit crab. anyone know anything about them? When I got home he started walking down my driveway. I rushed to put up a saltwater tank and now hes huge. He likes to eat corals but as long as I keep him fed hes fine. He's probably going to go live at the fish store soon in the brackish tank.

murph145

heres what i found on my LR its some sort of abalone about 3/4" in diameter with very colorful tentacles and shell.... the craziest thing ive found in my tank by far!!!

agentgq

I had to move a piece of live rock yesterday and when I did I saw a little ( length of thumnail ) crustation that had the appearance of a crayfish! It was almost clear in color kind of like a frozen shrimp. He scooted backwards like a crayfish does, right into my base rock. I saw him long enough to see what looked like only 1 claw in front. I have no clue where he came from or if I'll see him again without tearing up all of my rock. Any suggestions on how to capture for I.D.? Thanks.

bang guy

Close-up pictures will be need before you can get a positive ID. From what I see in the pictures #1 looks like a nice Sponge and #2 looks like a Sessile Cucumber or Foraminiferans.

kindbuds2k

Ok i will try to get a better close up on them. They arnt hydroids?? Because someone told me they might be. And if so how would i go about getting rid of them

bang guy

Nope, not hydroids. I'm not getting a sense of scale from the picture. How big are the things in the second picture??

ophiura

Originally Posted by Appaloosa1
Hes a striped hermit crab. anyone know anything about them? When I got home he started walking down my driveway. I rushed to put up a saltwater tank and now hes huge. He likes to eat corals but as long as I keep him fed hes fine. He's probably going to go live at the fish store soon in the brackish tank.
The species is Clibanarius vittatus
and as you know it is a large, quite predatory hermit crab. Definitely not reef safe. Very common along the Gulf of Mexico...more than a few unsuspecting tourists find one in their prized shell from the beach.

notsomuch

Thanks to everyone for their photos and information! This newbie appreciates it. I thought I had some free polyps, but alas, they are anemones. :scared: Now, how do you get rid of unwanted hitchhikers?
My turbo has barnicles and my live rock has the anemones. I read in a book that scarlet leg hermits will eat hydroids....true or false? My zebra and blue hermits and the emerald crab ignore them. I've also read about a calcium injection, but don't know the recipe. Thanks again!

amandadee

Got these out of an inherited tank, they seem to be quick to reproduce. Looks like a type of fan worm? Any information appreciated.