Hitchhiker Identifications

cain420

i kept finding scrape marks in the coralline in my tank.. so of course i investigated and found a crab.. well i finally ridded him of the display and am about to setup a fuge for him.. here are some photos.. the tips of his claws are hollow, and he scrapes the rocks and collects the scrapings in the hollow tip.

T

tizzo

The fact that you caught him is amazing!! My crab is a coralline eater too, but it looks identicle to milomlos. Thus far, harmless. Had him goin on 2 years...

ifusayso

1. Description: I have two of these that I have seen, they appear to have a "conch" like shell, but a red-colored foot. It is quite small about the size of a q-tip end. Here's a bad(due to magnified) pic of it:
2. No pic, but from looking at the HH thread could be a sundial, BUT it travels with the shell upright. It is hard to tell the details as it the size a pin head. I could not get a pic that showed more than a white dot...but to the eye there is a sort of checkered pattern of white and tan/brown.
3. On the glass are even smaller snails(?), are these perhaps babies of some type of snail I have including (turbo, astria, or nassirus)?

bang guy

Originally Posted by ifusayso
1. Description: I have two of these that I have seen, they appear to have a "conch" like shell, but a red-colored foot. It is quite small about the size of a q-tip end. Here's a bad(due to magnified) pic of it:
2. No pic, but from looking at the HH thread could be a sundial, BUT it travels with the shell upright. It is hard to tell the details as it the size a pin head. I could not get a pic that showed more than a white dot...but to the eye there is a sort of checkered pattern of white and tan/brown.
3. On the glass are even smaller snails(?), are these perhaps babies of some type of snail I have including (turbo, astria, or nassirus)?
1 - Horse Conch. This animal is a predator. It will eat anything it can catch. Snails, Clams, etc.
2 - The distinction between Collonista & Sundial is a pyramid shaped covering over the shell opening that the Sundial has.
3 - Could be anything. My guess would be Ilyanassa obsoleta (not really Nassarius sp.).

ifusayso

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
1 - Horse Conch. This animal is a predator. It will eat anything it can catch. Snails, Clams, etc.
2 - The distinction between Collonista & Sundial is a pyramid shaped covering over the shell opening that the Sundial has.
3 - Could be anything. My guess would be Ilyanassa obsoleta (not really Nassarius sp.).

Thanks Bang Guy. For the Horse conch, since I have only seen two I can pretty easily get rid of them. The second one is so small I just can't tell for sure...but I will probably just pull them out as I see them. Do I want the third ones to stay? There are probably a hundred of them on my glass each day. Not sure how to get rid of them.

bang guy

I would keep the third ones until positively identified. If they are on the glass then it's a good indication that they eat Diatoms.

bsktmom

Originally Posted by Tizzo
I think I just figured out why those stinkin' pyramid snails are so hard to eradicate... :mad:
Tizzo what kind of a snail is that? Thanks!

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by bsktmom
Tizzo what kind of a snail is that? Thanks!
The small one is a parasite pyramid snail on the larger collinista (common beneficial hitch-hiker) snail.
The collinistas, you will see all over your glass at night if you have them. They look about the size of a pea or so...

ifusayso

Last night on a rock with yellow polyps I found a clear "polyp" exactly like the yellow ones. Any ideas what this could be? I can get pics later today maybe.
Also noticed a worm(?) that has a flat end that reaches out from a rock crevice or hole and seems to be eating something from the substrate. It is a grey/brown color and about a half inch long very thin. Reminds me of an elephant trunk sort of. Is this a peanut worm maybe?
Thanks,
Heather

ifusayso

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
I would keep the third ones until positively identified. If they are on the glass then it's a good indication that they eat Diatoms.
I was able to remove actually three of the pictured pretty sure that was all of them. The sundial or collonista...I cannot seem to find now, but will remove when I find it. I do see the third things eating stuff from the substrate when I knock them down cleaning with the magnet.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by ifusayso
Last night on a rock with yellow polyps I found a clear "polyp" exactly like the yellow ones. Any ideas what this could be? I can get pics later today maybe.
Also noticed a worm(?) that has a flat end that reaches out from a rock crevice or hole and seems to be eating something from the substrate. It is a grey/brown color and about a half inch long very thin. Reminds me of an elephant trunk sort of. Is this a peanut worm maybe?
Thanks,
Heather
Yes, your description sounds like a peanut worm.
Here is a pic for reference on a clear polyped aiptasia.

cain420

i noticed spaghetti algae is supposed to be comin soon... is it the same thing as chaetomorpha?
or is this a different algae??

cain420

its a crab! LOL
looks sorta like the one I found in my tank that ate coraline..
the one i found was totally passive... wouldnt even fight back if u poked it with a stick.. just covered its face and cowered

mtaviat

Hitched a ride into my refugium a over a year ago. Wasn't even visible 6 months ago. Has since been growing and branching out like crazy. It's 4 inches tall now. Anybody know what it is?

chadman

Originally Posted by sweetreef
aip!!!

aip?? what is this...i have one of these growing in my cc underneath a rock ledge...is it good or bad?

jerth6932

Originally Posted by chadman
aip?? what is this...i have one of these growing in my cc underneath a rock ledge...is it good or bad?
Astepia.... and it is not good.... you need to get rid of it! Use Joes Juice to rid it!!