Hitchhiker Identifications

farmboy

Thanks for the link VIPER. THe base of mine looks a little darker, but that's him!
I've noticed those mucus "nets" in my tank. They sorta look like spider webs. Now I know what they are. (THIS WEBSITE IS GREAT)

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by nanoreefdx
:help: Everytime i flip off the main light and put on the moonlight on my tank, i see this worm lookin thing shoot between two pieces of my LR...i cant get a picture because i only see it for a few seconds when i flip on the main light....its pink by the front (im assuming its the front) and bluish blackish on the other end with lots of little spikes along its body...its about 1.5 inches long, give or take....i have no CLUE as to what it is but since it showed up when i bought my star-polyp attached to some LR, i figured id post it in the hitch-hiker section...any ideas? i also have a small mantis shrimp (i think) and a MILLION of these little bug lookin things...my gf thinks the "bugs" are actually plankton but i dunno bout that either :help:

The worm sounds like a "bristleworm" and the bugs are pods. Shrimp lookin' bugs are amphipods. :)

guineawhop

i have bought about 25 pounds of live rock and i never get hitchhikers at all. i pick the most pores rock i can find but nothin

volunteerg

Can anyone let me know if they can ID a white squiggly geometric looking worm or eggs on the glass?
I'll try and get pics posted tomorrow.
Thanks!

romeofoeve

The pix are as follows
1. A hitchhiker Bubble tip anenome (BTA)
2. A clam
3. foraminiferan of the genus Marginopora, aka "Money forams"
4. a Sea Squirt
5. a rock filled with X-mas Tree Worms
They are all filter feeders and harmless, except for the BTA, which can be a pain if it begins to move around. it will sting your corals.

philgmiami

anyone have any idea what this is? :notsure: .. its grown twice the size in 2 months.it open and closes the two holes when i tap on the glass, just tonight i caught this lil wormy thing sticking out one of the holes. the wormy looking thing moves like crazy :notsure: , the whole thing looks like it came from space.. is it good? bad?.. it came on a piece of lr

romeofoeve

i believe that thing is a Sea Squirt, they are harmless filter feeders. as for the worm, i dont know if it is a part of it, i have a sea squirt on a lr and have never seen a worm come out.

philgmiami

how about this

[hr]
i swear to god it looks like my hermit has a white fur jacket on its shell.. looks like millions of white stringy things with umbrella on top..there about a 1/4 of an inch high.. i could swear these things are eating also... ive seen lil pieces of krill caught inbetween the fury like stuff..... heres a pic. i had to resize it smaller so it would fit on this site.........................if anyone wants to see the big pic where you can see this cool stuff up close leave your email, ill send the pic out.. in between all the white like hairs on the base of the hermits shell also lays these cool looking egg things fromlime green to bright pink, even orange

chinnyr

Originally Posted by ohiorn67
pictures not working, will try again....
They look like sps eating nudibranchs.

chinnyr

Originally Posted by Farmboy
Snail hitchhiker. Worm?
Looks like a vermitid snail hitchiking on an Astrea snail.

chinnyr

Originally Posted by Tizzo
This, I learned from Bang Guy is a "carribean mushroom", but thanks to my search engine the only info I could find were all about mushrooms that go into cooking recipes...unless... :thinking:...naaaah, couldn't be...
Try searching for glass anemone.

philgmiami

Originally Posted by philgmiami
how about this

[hr]
i swear to god it looks like my hermit has a white fur jacket on its shell.. looks like millions of white stringy things with umbrella on top..there about a 1/4 of an inch high.. i could swear these things are eating also... ive seen lil pieces of krill caught inbetween the fury like stuff..... heres a pic. i had to resize it smaller so it would fit on this site.........................if anyone wants to see the big pic where you can see this cool stuff up close leave your email, ill send the pic out.. in between all the white like hairs on the base of the hermits shell also lays these cool looking egg things fromlime green to bright pink, even orange
bump

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by chinnyr
Try searching for glass anemone.
Not aiptasia...
It's...pseudocorynactis caribbeorum whew, that's a mouthful.
Family corallimorphidae
Comes in orange tipped or white...oh and orange tenticles with white tips...

75bownut

I found 2 of these guys on a coralhead full of christmas tree worms, it was decided that they are no good ,seeing them eating the coralhead made that decision for me
. They leave trails of cone shaped frills behided there munching bodies. They are some kind of slug, are fuzzy and brown , about 2 inches long , and about 1 inch wide. Can anyone ID????????? Please feel free to add to hitchhiker pile. the first pic is of the topside and the second pic is of the bottom.