Hitchhiker Identifications

gotfish?

Originally Posted by Tizzo
hydroid jellyfish...Not good, but not really to worry about either. They sting your fish, but I doubt you'd be able to tell when...
how do you get rid of these? Every time I clean my glass, a couple of hours later I have them on my glass.

K

kalied20

Just adding this picture I thought you might want to use it.
Been told it is a Majano Anemone by a couple of people.

K

kalied20

Originally Posted by mushroomss
The clear tube with stripes in twisttats pic is a tunicate.A harmless filter feeder.

That's good to know. I got two of those buggers in my 2.5 gallon. They look pretty cool too.

mushroomss

yes definately,just make sure you have a good source of phytoplankton in your system.If you dont have any supplemants or food go out and buy dt's live phytoplankton.It is an awesome product!

sfl01208

comes out at night from live rock hole...clear and has green little balls at the tips. pretty much right in the middle of the pic! thanks for the help

reefkprz

spaghetti worm or Amphitrite ornata very benificial
They can grow up to 12 inches long with feeding tentacles reaching 3 feet long.
Spaghetti worms build elaborate tubes for themselves, either in sediment or in crevices between rocks.
The worm secretes its own "cement" from glands on its belly, then lines its tube home with coarse sand and shell fragments. Little hooks along the sides of the worm grip the walls of the burrow and securely anchor the body inside.
Once snuggled down, the worm sends out feeding tentacles which constantly search the ocean floor for just about anything dead, dying or deposited there.
The moveable tentacles bear tiny hairlike structures along their surface and are able to curl up on themselves to form a groove.
When a tentacle finds something to eat, it forms such a groove and beats its tiny hairs, thus moving the food to the mouth. Sometimes a tentacle lassoes the food and drags it to the mouth, where the worm's lips wipe the tentacle clean.
IF you come across a spaghetti worm, you can watch these amazing tentacles in action. Gently touch one, and the worm will withdraw all its tentacles back into its body. Wait a moment, and they will gradually creep back out to resume feeding.
Hawaii hosts 11 species of these interesting reef cleaners; five of these are found nowhere else in the world.

reefkprz

Domain: Eukarya
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Sipuncula
Order: Sipunculida
Family: Phascollosomatidae
Genus: Phascolosoma
Species: agassizii
Common Name: Peanut worm
Sipunculans, normally called peanut worms are sea animals which live under the rocks and in tight crevices between rocks, especially where is muddy or sand accumulated. They feed on detritus and microscopic organisms. They collect these with the tentacles placed encircling their mouth. They are particularly abundant in Beecher Bay, and also occur in the intertidal, under mussels on the shoreline.
Peanut worms are bilaterally symmetrical and unsegmented. The body is divided into two not very distinguished regions. A mobile anterior body section called introvert which can be retracted into the body by a special set of muscles called retractor muscles and a posterior part. At the anterior tip of the body is the mouth surrounded by tentacles. These are usually bushy but sometimes inconspicuous and unbranched. The body cavity, called a coelom, is filled with fluid. Because of this the sipunculans have no respiratory or circulatory system. The coelomic fluid takes care of this functions by transporting both, nutrients and oxygen. In this fluid can also be found free floating cells , hemerytrocytes, and free floating clusters of cells known as ciliary urns. Because the digestive tracts of sipunculans are almost U shaped, the intestine forms a twisted loop, with the anus on the side of the body. Peanut worms are really firm due to to their strong, muscular body wall. Its firmness it's also increased by the high hydrostatic pressure inside the coelom.
The length of a large Peanut worm, when stretched out, is about 6 or 7 cm. The posterior part of the body is basically paler or greenish paler while the introvert anterior section is basically paler but with a number of black lines and blotches.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by sfl01208
comes out at night from live rock hole...clear and has green little balls at the tips. pretty much right in the middle of the pic! thanks for the help
HIdden cup coral, a non photosynthetic hard coral. slow grower very common on live rock, lots of people have them few never know what they are commonly mistaken for some sort of anemone, (I had them for two years before I figured out what they were) I knew they were a hard coral it just took forever to get it ID'd because all the pics you find of it on the internet show it closed.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Drakken
No one positively ID'd this. It's either a Curly-Cue anemone or a relative to aptasia.

its a curly-q anemone and the curly cue anemone is a relative of aiptasia so the answer is both

drakken

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
its a curly-q anemone and the curly cue anemone is a relative of aiptasia so the answer is both
Should they be treated like aptasia then?

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Drakken
Should they be treated like aptasia then?

nope. aiptasia you can't sell to your LFS curley-q's you can.

drakken

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
nope. aiptasia you can't sell to your LFS curley-q's you can.
Sweet! I have about 10 of them!

elkomom

Found flattened on new living rock then in a few minutes it rounded out and vanished. I don't know if one of my fish got it or if it went onto a hole.