How would you handle it?

nina&noah

Okay, I am a dog lover so my view is going to be VERY unpopular, but I don't care. I am getting nausious just reading this thread and I have to say something.
All of this talk about killing the dog is ridiculous. The kid got bit, not attacked, which tells me that you are not getting the whole story. You weren't there and kids like to "leave out" important information. I don't care who you heard the story from, if you weren't there you can't make assumptions.
Also, I'm sorry, but as a parent and a teacher I have to say that this was your fault. If you didn't want the kid around the dog, you shouldn't have allowed her to go over there. It's the dog's house! Who are you to demand that he be kept in another room. You can't make demands on what happens in other people's homes. You can only control what happens in yours. If my son wanted to go to someone's house and I didn't want him around their animal, I would simply ask that he invite his friend over or they could play outside.
I'm not saying that it is OK to bite. I'm just saying to not make assumptions and have the poor dog killed. I think it is horrible that so many people have such a disregard for this animal's life!
Having said that, I would demand to see the vaccination records for the animal.

T

tizzo

The big deal with pits is that a lot of people breed them to fight. They look for that "bad a$$ attitude, so they get the meanest male and the meanest female., and of the pups, they keep the mean ones and just about give away the ones that are "not mean enough", then backyard breeders wanna make a buck and so forth.
This is one breed where I kinda hafta agree with the "general population" this breed isn't dangerous only in certain circumstances, they can be dangerous whenever. It's a gamble with them.
That being said, a responsible breeder with a dogs history taken into an account can breed a wonderful dog. Problem is, you don't know which ones came from the responsibloe breeders and whioch ones came from the streets of NYC as fight dog rejects.
There, I'm done.
So, what's the verdict trainfever??

tj51

In tort law there is a tort called "vicious propensity," which quite simply states that all dogs are allowed one bite or attack, after that they get the "vicious" label. If you can find out if this dog has ever attacked before then you have a possible action. As far as being in their home, a reasonable person could expect that they could enter (invited) a home and not get attacked by a dog/cat/monkey whatever. Your neighbors are responsible regardless where the "assault" takes place.
I'm not an attorney, so I can't give legal advice, I'm just explaining the definition of a particular tort. Sometimes knowledge alone can help. If you explain this tort to your neighbor and let them know that if your daughter gets attacked again, they you do have a civil action that you can pursue it might wake them up enough to do something about a mean dog.

shogun323

I don't think Train is over-reacting here. If I had a dog that bit a child I would be calling that kids parents ASAP and kissing their heiny!!!!
Sorry for your situation Train!!!!

tj51

Also, I'm sorry, but as a parent and a teacher I have to say that this was your fault. If you didn't want the kid around the dog, you shouldn't have allowed her to go over there. It's the dog's house! Who are you to demand that he be kept in another room. You can't make demands on what happens in other people's homes. You can only control what happens in yours. If my son wanted to go to someone's house and I didn't want him around their animal, I would simply ask that he invite his friend over or they could play outside.
Wrong! If you allow someone, especially a child to enter a potentially dangerous situation, they YOU are liable. As stated before, just because an event happens in your home does not allievate you from liability. I've even seen cases where someone has broken into a home, got hurt and won a settlement. (not that I believe that was a correct verdict) the bottom line is that liability exists everywhere.

T

tizzo

They told me that they will lock the dog downstairs whenever my daughter is there.
With that reassurance, I believe the owners of the dog were at fault.
I am sure that if they refused to put the dog in another room then Train would have not let her go over there, but they told him they'd lock the dog up. Therefore it is their fault.
And it's not the dog;'s house. It is the people's house and that animal is a pet. The people set their own rules then slipped up.

trainfever

Originally Posted by nina&noah
http:///forum/post/2549859
Okay, I am a dog lover so my view is going to be VERY unpopular, but I don't care. I am getting nausious just reading this thread and I have to say something.
All of this talk about killing the dog is ridiculous. The kid got bit, not attacked, which tells me that you are not getting the whole story. You weren't there and kids like to "leave out" important information. I don't care who you heard the story from, if you weren't there you can't make assumptions.
I'm not saying that it is OK to bite. I'm just saying to not make assumptions and have the poor dog killed. I think it is horrible that so many people have such a disregard for this animal's life!
Having said that, I would demand to see the vaccination records for the animal.
Maybe you should read all my words before making your statements. I never told the parents to lock their dog up. I told them I didnt want my daughter around their dog. They were the ones who said they would lock the dog downstairs. And as far as her being bitten, she was standing outside on the front step, when the little girl opened the door, the dog ran out and bit my daughter. You are whats wrong with society, you would put the life of an animal over the safety and welfare of a child.

maeistero

I will never put down a pit bull. They are wonderful and protective dogs.
How many of you know that most of them are deaf due to their breeding? They are easily surprised, how many of you knew that as a child. Educate your children.
A chain does nothing for a pit, neither does a collar. Their neck is bigger than the head, so a responsible owner makes sure it's properly fenced and the doors are always locked high so that a child cannot open it. A responsible owner knows their dog and who's around it at all times. Every pit should be crate trained.
If the dog does have to leave, I help relocate staffordshire's for irresponsible neighborhoods.

1journeyman

http:///forum/post/2549859
All of this talk about killing the dog is ridiculous. The kid got bit, not attacked, which tells me that you are not getting the whole story. ....
A dog, especially a Pit Bull, can do a lot of damage with "one bite". The dog came outside and bit the child on the upper leg. What would have happened had a canine punctured the femural artery? What would one bite have done to her face or neck?
The owners opened their front door and the dog rushed out and bit someone. This shows two things:
1. They do not always have their dog under control
2. The dog has behavioral problems

tj51

We need to chill here..........
The problem is not putting the dog down, I would not be in favor of that; a pet's a pet and I wouldn't want to lose mine. The answer is for the owners to realize the potential for lawsuits and get some control over the dog. If I had a mean animal (besides the sebae clown I gave away) I would take precautions to keep it from harming others, knowing that I would get sued like hell if I didn't.

crashbandicoot

Honestly you need to take a deep breath and stop lashing out .
You need to TALK to the neighbor with a LEVEL HEAD . No threats ,No demands . TALK its something adults do to resolve situations . Explain that you feel the need to address the situation via the legal avenue of contacting the animal control to report the bite .
YOU also need to address the fact that since YOU already had an issue with your daughter being around the dog then YOU should not have allowed her to go next door . You also need to address as to why your daughter would atempt to hide the bite . The fact that she had done so only points to the fact that its not nearly as serious a bite as you make it out to be. It also leads to suspect that she might be hiding something from you involving the incident of the bite . Your wife thinks your over reacting and that should be enough for you to stop and take a breath and think , Not jump online and paint a picture of this viscious attack . YOur only trying to incite a mob mentality by getting people to back you. These folks only know what you have told them . Sorry but I would take the advice of my other half over the advice of the SWF gang anyday of the week (unless its about fish ). Shes there she has a view that we do not , Listen to her and talk to her about it . It really sounds like you are trying to be self serving in this situation .
Cool heads always prevail victoriously .
As far as posioning the dog or hitting the neighbor in the mouth . Use your brain and see that your only going to further the situation down the wrong road . Retaliation is not the answer and will likely end you in as much trouble if not more .

steelgluer

Originally Posted by trainfever
http:///forum/post/2549179
I have neighbors who own a Pitbull. I dont like Pitbulls and think they should be outlawed. (Please dont come on here and tel me I am wrong Blah blah blah. I am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours. Thats not what this thread is about.) My neighbors daughter and my daughter(both 11) are best friends. I am not too crazy about this because the child is spoiled and disrespectful. She also tries to be very controlling and manipulative. My daughter goes to their house often and I told the parents that I dont want my daughter around the dog. Its my daughter and I am not going to gamble with her safety. They told me that they will lock the dog downstairs whenever my daughter is there. Anyway, yesterday mornig my daughter stopped at the girls house on the way to school, they go to school together. While my daughter was standing on the frontstep, the dog ran outside and bit her. There were 2 puncture marks and a big bruise. My daughter hid this from me because she knows I dont want her around the dog. tobight I found out about it and I called the father and asked if he knew the dog had bitten my daughter. He said that he knew and that he thought it was bad. I told him that my daughter had 2 puncture marks and a big bruise. He then said nonchalantly, "What do you want me to do?" This really aggravated me because I feel he should have called no matter what to make sure of the injury. I told him I think he should kill the dog. I know that wasnt going to happen but his nonchalant answer really pissed me off and I hung up on him. So then he knocks on my door and I went off on himabout how I think it was really irresponsible of him to just blow it off like it was nothing. He tried to make an excuse about how he was out of town for 3 days. I told him I didnt care, he still knew his dog bit my daughter and he should have called to make sure she was OK.( For what its worth, I think both parents are lacking in parental skills. I am not the only one who feels this way as my other neighbors think the same thing.) He then asked to see the bite wound as if I was lying. I told him no, that his seeing it wasnt going to make it go away. He then started rattling off something but I wasnt listening and told him to get the F**K out of my house. I also told him that I was thinking about making a Police report. After he left, my wife told me that I was going overboard, this also pissed me off as she wasnt the one on the phone and heard his nonchalant response. So, how would you have handled this?

Im in pa if a dog bites no matter where it is in house outside on leash or off owner is at fault. Report it. The dog must be quarantined.
http://www.dogbitelaw.com/PAGES/Pennsylvania.html

reefraff

Pitbulls are no more prone to biting than any other breed. In fact the little high strung yip dogs are the ones most likely to bite. Because they typically don't do serious damage the majority of yip dog bites go unreported. Because the Pits are so powerful the owners must take great care to insure their dog is confined to their yard and doesn't come in contact with people not familiar with or to the dog.
Personally I fear Dobermans much more because I personally know a few people who have had a good natured Dobi turn mean as it got older and have heard stories of others with the same experience.

trainfever

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
http:///forum/post/2550129
You need to TALK to the neighbor with a LEVEL HEAD . No threats ,No demands . TALK its something adults do to resolve situations . Explain that you feel the need to address the situation via the legal avenue of contacting the animal control to report the bite .
YOU also need to address the fact that since YOU already had an issue with your daughter being around the dog then YOU should not have allowed her to go next door . You also need to address as to why your daughter would atempt to hide the bite . The fact that she had done so only points to the fact that its not nearly as serious a bite as you make it out to be. It also leads to suspect that she might be hiding something from you involving the incident of the bite . Your wife thinks your over reacting and that should be enough for you to stop and take a breath and think , Not jump online and paint a picture of this viscious attack . YOur only trying to incite a mob mentality by getting people to back you. These folks only know what you have told them . Sorry but I would take the advice of my other half over the advice of the SWF gang anyday of the week (unless its about fish ). Shes there she has a view that we do not , Listen to her and talk to her about it . It really sounds like you are trying to be self serving in this situation .
As far as posioning the dog or hitting the neighbor in the mouth . Use your brain and see that your only going to further the situation down the wrong road . Retaliation is not the answer and will likely end you in as much trouble if not more .
Once again, another poster not reading my words. I never said anything about poisoning the dog or hitting my neighbor. As I said before, it was my neighbors nonchalant attitude about my daughter being bitten that aggravated me. The reason my daughter hid the bite from me is because she knew I would be upset about her being bitten. I also explained to her that it was not her fault she was bitten and that she should not have hid it from me. She is a very shy and timid person and gets upsets if anyone raises their voice.
I am not an angry or violent person but I do not or will not gamble with my daughters safety. I also did not come here to incite any riot. I clearly stated in my post that I didnt want to go back and forth about whether pittbulls are good or bad. The question I wanted to know is whether I was being irrationable about my neighbors lack of responsibilty and nonchalant attitude. Those of you who are blaming me fail to realize that my daughter was not in the house, she was outside waiting for the little girl.

T

tizzo

Originally Posted by reefraff
http:///forum/post/2550148
Pitbulls are no more prone to biting than any other breed. .
Yes they are. To many irresponsible backyard breeders "get rid of" the rejects for as little as 75 dollars. By rejects, I mean, not mean enough to win a dog fight.
If the dogs weren't bred for that then your right, they would be as dangerous as any dog, but the vicious dogs are bred for vicious offspring. And the ones that aren't vicious enough, get put in the classifieds and any unknowing unsuspecting (nonresearching) family can buy it for cheap.

tj51

It's all your fault dude.........if you had never got married then there would be no daughter or for that matter, no house or neighbor
On a serious note lol I think the previous post had to do with others on the thread, not you.......your attitude is righteous, I'd be pissed if it happened to me but I agree with the previous poster, talking it out may solve the problem. We had neighbors with alpha male cats that would come thru our cat's cat door and reek havic on our house. We talked to them, and worked out a deal where we keep out cat door closed on MWF and and T TH S they keep their inside. They even gave us a $25 dollar petsmart card for the hassle.
You have to live next door to these people, might as well make the best of it
(jumping off my soapbox)

nina&noah

Originally Posted by Crashbandicoot
http:///forum/post/2550129
I couldn't agree more!
As for the "your what's wrong with society," comment... Maybe you missed the part of my post that said that I am both a parent and a teacher. Children are my life, so how dare you suggest that I would endanger them in anyway. I was simply stating that the life of the dog matters also. You just want people to jump on your bandwagon and tell you that you are right. Your not right.
The dog should not have stormed the front door. The neighbors should have more control. I will give you that much. However, I'm sure your confrontational attitude did not help the situation. I still think there is more to this story than you know.

shogun323

If Pits are more prone to bite, I believe it is due to the idiots that buy em, don't socialize them and exploit their aggressive behavior. Interesting how all the "tough guys" get them......

shogun323

http:///forum/post/2550178
However, I'm sure your confrontational attitude did not help the situation. I still think there is more to this story than you know.
So would you not have a confrontational attitude yourself if your daughter was bit in the thigh by the neighbors dog and he didn't even bother to call and treat it as no bid deal?

al mc

I agree with redirecting your anger into something that gets positive results. Killing, poisoning, hitting are all just going to lead to more trouble.
Talk to your neighbor calmly and inquire about the presence, or lack of, up to date rabies innoculations. Report the incident to the local authority responsible for animal control. Seek medical attention for your daughter, if needed.
Many of you have a whole lot more 'fish' knowledge than I. I have been a practicing small animal veterinarian for 25 years. Unfortunately, I have been invloved in several of these situations. I read the statistics about which dogs are more likely to bite than others. In my experience...and that does not make it 'law'....I have seen, and/or personally had, more dog bites from the smaller breed dogs..than large breeds. The large breeds just do a tremendous amount of damage so you hear about them more....and in my opinion, they are reported more than small breed bites.
Regardless of what you decide to do..Bottom line...I hope your daughter is Ok
and that you maintain a healthy relationship with your neighbor. Bad blood between neighbors is not a pleasant way to live.