It's things like this that give Marine's such a wonderful reputation...

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/80#post_3452575
Do you mean Darfur? Yeah, apparently we do have the ability to stand by and watch if the country doesn't export a lot of oil.
I'm saying that military action has some validity... Policy wise, where the line is I don't know, since we don't necessarily have any "American interests" in that area... I disagree with the isolationist vein running that we're sticking out nose out there. I personally think we, as a nation have the responsibility to help those running for their lives. Just like if I walked by someone getting assaulted, I have the moral responsibility to stop it... But I know people are getting assaulted every day, but I don't go out and look for em...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/80#post_3452576
I didn't say electricity.
Last time I checked they're not putting nuclear reactors in cars... Domestically it is only used in electricity generation. Hence bringing nuclear energy in would be muddling the waters. Weren't we talking oil?

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/80#post_3452577
Last time I checked they're not putting nuclear reactors in cars... Domestically it is only used in electricity generation. Hence bringing nuclear energy in would be muddling the waters. Weren't we talking oil?
But we are putting the energy from Nuclear Reactors into cars. We don't have to put the actual reactor into the car. Electric cars have a long long way to go but using electricity for transportation will also reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Right now we can't generate enough electricity even if we had a perfect electric car. More solar, wind, nuclear can resolve that within 20 years.

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/80#post_3452580
But we are putting the energy from Nuclear Reactors into cars. We don't have to put the actual reactor into the car. Electric cars have a long long way to go but using electricity for transportation will also reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Right now we can't generate enough electricity even if we had a perfect electric car. More solar, wind, nuclear can resolve that within 20 years.
lol. That is a stretch... We're talking about 20k cars actually on the road in the USA?

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/100#post_3452615
I've seen how intelligent your previous posts are. I don't believe you're that short sighted.
You'd have a point if Chevy could sell more than 1000 volts a month to anyone else but the government... But realistically 10 years down the road, there will be no major impact of an electric car on our markets. unless someone makes a major technological breakthrough tomorrow, that passes the "rigors" of safety tests required to go onto our roads. Which take years. There is no need to even consider the "electric" car as a factor in our energy markets...
Assuming the internal combustion engine doesn't just get banned...
Personally, and this is just my own hypothetical speculation, what is going to have to happen is someone is going to have to come up with something completely out of the box. Not based off current configurations of our motors or vehicles. Before we move beyond fossil fuels...
Oh and realistically we have plenty of oil that will last my lifetime... Especially at current prices adjusted for 70 more years of inflation...

reefraff

Electric cares are a slave to battery technology. Until you can come up with a battery that can take a charge in an hour or so there will never be enough of them on the road to make a real difference. Batteries are the new oil.

bang guy

What if you could swap a battery at a fuel station in 5 minutes?
What if you only needed batteries when off the grid and 95% of the roadway had induction lines built in?
What if a fuel cell other than Hydrogen/oxygen was invented?
What if molten salt batteries could be made safe?
Jesus people, can you not look more than a few years past your face? Oil is NOT the long term solution. It may last out your lifetime but will it last out your grandkids lifetimes? What if our founding fathers only looked 10 years into the future instead of 200? What would that have looked like?

deejeff442

try pulling a trailer with an electric car.at least 50% of the vehicles on the road are pick ups and work trucks.so your electric car is low on voltage where do you fill up like a gas car to get home?

mantisman51

I don't give 3 craps about lead or mercury, both can be easily recycled-I still can't figure out why so little of it besides 12v car batteries is. If we could build enough nuclear power plants to drive the cost of electricity down by half(or about what it was in 2008 here in Az), I would be happy to drive an electric car. I still have to have my pickup because of where my new house is, but I'd definitely drive one. Bear in mind, where I live the nearest Interstate is 47 miles North. But for the 2 lane, 55-65 mph highways here in SoAz, it would suffice. I don't want the government involved, but I can't figure out why we Americans have this knee-jerk revulsion to electric cars.

reefraff

Quot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/100#post_3452660
What if you only needed batteries when off the grid and 95% of the roadway had induction lines built in?
Jesus people, can you not look more than a few years past your face? Oil is NOT the long term solution. It may last out your lifetime but will it last out your grandkids lifetimes? What if our founding fathers only looked 10 years into the future instead of 200? What would that have looked like?
I am looking down the road, the money is going to be in battery technology. Battery changing stations are an interesting but extremely expensive idea. Could you imagine the expense? With the cost and size of the batteries you'd still have to have a huge inventory and a lot of space to set up the charging racks. The current hybrids are OK but I think they should come out with one set up like our locomotives have been for years, little diesel engine used to power an electric motor rather than charging a big expensive battery. There is a company that is putting the finishing touches on a CNG engine that will take the place of Diesels in big rigs and construction equipment, that should shake things up.

dragonzim

I feel what they really need to concentrate on is getting gas electric hybrid technology to the point where it pays to use it in larger vehicles. Last summer I traded in my 6 year old 4Runner for a Prius. I didnt do it to "be green" as that is a complete myth, but rather for the savings in gas. I drive 60 miles a day to and from work and then probably put another 50-100 miles on my vehicle over the weekend. I was averaging about $125-$150 a week in gas. Now, doing the same driving, I am averaging $40 every 10 days or so. The tradeoff for me was in the carrying capacity of the vehicle. I get 45 mpg in the Prius, but there is no way I can use it for anything more strenuous than grocery shopping. If we're going camping or I need to take a Home Depot run I still need to use my wife's van, which at 25mpg is pretty decent for a large vehicle, but still not great. I read recently that Ford and Toyota were teaming up on Hybrid tech and I can tell you that if they can come out with a large vehicle, either a pickup or an SUV that has decent carryinghauling capability and can get 35-40mpg, they would sell the hell out of them. I know I would be in line to trade in the Prius for one!

dragonzim

Kind of funny that I just saw this article, minutes after posting my previous response. This thing is not ready for prime time yet, but its a step in the right direction!
http://gizmodo.com/5878660/powertrekks-long-road-to-store-shelves-is-nearly-over-maybe

reefraff

We looked at Hybrids before buying the wife's current car in 07. She only drives 22 miles round trip a day so it didn't make sense for us. Over the next year or two we will start the process of replacing her current car and will look at the Hybrids again. Especially if Prince Valueless gets re-elected and continues to do things to "necessarily skyrocket" energy prices.

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefraff http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/100#post_3452802
We looked at Hybrids before buying the wife's current car in 07. She only drives 22 miles round trip a day so it didn't make sense for us. Over the next year or two we will start the process of replacing her current car and will look at the Hybrids again. Especially if Prince Valueless gets re-elected and continues to do things to "necessarily skyrocket" energy prices.
Not only that, but the prices on at least the Toyota hybrids have dropped significantly. When the Prius first came out it was available in both Hybrid and full gas, and the hybrid version carried a premium price tag of well over 30K. When they released the new body style for 2011 they did away with the straight gas engine and lowered the hybrid price significantly. I got the Prius IV, which is one step down from the top model (the only thing it doesnt have is leather, which I didnt want anyway and solar panels on the roof) and I paid around 25K for it. I saw a commercial last night for the new Camry hybrid. Looks nice, has an available 268hp engine and STILL gets 40mpg

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/100#post_3452660
Realistically, I'll be dead, I really don't see this huge need to plan for some technology that isn't invented yet. And no turning every road into a squirrel zapping contraption isn't the solution...
and well, yes I do think we have 200 years of oil in our future... Assuming the market doesn't bring a better mode of transportation a long with it...
And policy wise, we do need to take the baby steps and focus on stuff 5-10 years in the future, because that is what we can quantify. That will have a direct influence on our daily lives...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonZim
http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/100#post_3452800
I feel what they really need to concentrate on is getting gas electric hybrid technology to the point where it pays to use it in larger vehicles. Last summer I traded in my 6 year old 4Runner for a Prius. I didnt do it to "be green" as that is a complete myth, but rather for the savings in gas. I drive 60 miles a day to and from work and then probably put another 50-100 miles on my vehicle over the weekend. I was averaging about $125-$150 a week in gas. Now, doing the same driving, I am averaging $40 every 10 days or so. The tradeoff for me was in the carrying capacity of the vehicle. I get 45 mpg in the Prius, but there is no way I can use it for anything more strenuous than grocery shopping. If we're going camping or I need to take a Home Depot run I still need to use my wife's van, which at 25mpg is pretty decent for a large vehicle, but still not great. I read recently that Ford and Toyota were teaming up on Hybrid tech and I can tell you that if they can come out with a large vehicle, either a pickup or an SUV that has decent carryinghauling capability and can get 35-40mpg, they would sell the hell out of them. I know I would be in line to trade in the Prius for one!
You know, you can go out and buy a plain Jane honda civic and get 35-40 MPG... There is no need to spend 10k more on a Prius...

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/100#post_3452847
Realistically, I'll be dead, I really don't see this huge need to plan for some technology that isn't invented yet. And no turning every road into a squirrel zapping contraption isn't the solution...
and well, yes I do think we have 200 years of oil in our future... Assuming the market doesn't bring a better mode of transportation a long with it...
And policy wise, we do need to take the baby steps and focus on stuff 5-10 years in the future, because that is what we can quantify. That will have a direct influence on our daily lives...
You know, you can go out and buy a plain Jane honda civic and get 35-40 MPG... There is no need to spend 10k more on a Prius...
The Prius gets a combined cityhwy gas mileage that is 20mpg higher than the Civic, and that is coming from Honda's own site where they let you compare their vehicles to competitors. The civic gets 2836 cityhighway and the Prius gets 5148. I also could have gone with a cheaper model Prius that gets the same mileage, but without some of the other features I wanted like integrated satellite radio and blue tooth

stdreb27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonZim http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/100#post_3452869
The Prius gets a combined cityhwy gas mileage that is 20mpg higher than the Civic, and that is coming from Honda's own site where they let you compare their vehicles to competitors. The civic gets 2836 cityhighway and the Prius gets 5148. I also could have gone with a cheaper model Prius that gets the same mileage, but without some of the other features I wanted like integrated satellite radio and blue tooth
So out of curiosity, have you seen a drop off in milage after 100k?
Realistically, in my Civic SI (so it is the bigger motor) EPA rated at 22/31. I get 28/35 (unless I keep it wrapped up above 6k RPMS) (I've actually hit 40 MPG straight up highway, no stopping for the whole tank, a good tail wind, and cruise control...)

dragonzim

Quote:
Originally Posted by stdreb27 http:///t/389935/its-things-like-this-that-give-marines-such-a-wonderful-reputation/100#post_3452910
So out of curiosity, have you seen a drop off in milage after 100k?
Realistically, in my Civic SI (so it is the bigger motor) EPA rated at 22/31. I get 28/35 (unless I keep it wrapped up above 6k RPMS) (I've actually hit 40 MPG straight up highway, no stopping for the whole tank, a good tail wind, and cruise control...)
I've only got a little over 11k on it, so I have a few years to go. I normally do about 20K a year.

yerboy

so this thread is now an alternate fuel source discussion? interesting. Unless we can turn pee into fuel for cars i declare this topic officially derailed.