It's true... a reef safe ich med that actually works!

cwgibson

i understand what the argument is,all im saying is a lot of people say hypo is the only way to kill ich.i heard about this product on these boards and did a lot of reading on it so i thought i would try it,and it worked.its been 5mths or so ;i cant remember off the top of my head, and the ich never came back.i dont have as much experience or knowledge as most people on here, but i do have a great love for my fish and would do anything to help them.there are probably some people out there that wouldnt devote the time and effort it takes to do a hypo treatment.my personal opinion is that these people should find another hobby but if they insist on keeping fish i would offer them an alternative so the fish would have a fighting chance.i guess im not trying to change the minds of those who have spent years in the hobby but give the less dedicated ones some options to help save their fish.

tatoofr

you should try this : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
MEDICATED
Rating: 5.00
Quantity in Basket:none
Code: BP-MD
Price:$16.95
Quantity:
BLUE LAGOON
anti-parasite version to treat sick fish without harming live corals.
PREMIUM MARINE GEL FOOD
Blue Lagoon premium garlic fish food enriched with Astaxanthin(tm) and vitamins.
Vitamin enriched. No preservatives. Highest quality ingredients allows maximum assimilation for unparallel weight gain & pigmentation.
Gelatin binder insures palatability.
Formulated for all species of salt water fish.
Customer Reviews Add Your Review

[hr]
5 Finally! 03/28/2006 - by RT from New York
Wanted to give a thumbs up on this product.
Knocked the ich out of my tank in about a week and my corals are great. Thanks.

[hr]
home | store | links | products | customer service
search | policy | livestock info | livestock list | warranty info
C o p y r i g h t © 2 0 0 5 ***************.com ®

sepulatian

Ok, I havn't read this whole thread through, But I have posted on this thread a few times. I would like to clarify my position on reef meds. I like Stop Parasites. But people should know that it does not kill ick. It helps keep it off of the fish. I am ending Hypo at the moment and I think it is effective durring hypo. When you first get your tank down to 1.009 the ich go INSANE trying to attatch. I started adding it a bit too late and lost my banner. But durring this period while the ich are paranoid and looking for a host I think it is very beneficial to have stop parasites on hand. It does not kill ich as NO "reef safe" med does, but the med does have some use.

miamireefr

Questions to Beth and others who may know. Considering the fact if STOP PARASITE does indeed keep the ich off the fish and the careaker observes this over a 2 month period time let's say..... is it safe to assume the ich could not attach to the host and be considered dead?
Nick

reef diver

I heard an interesting story. This guy has a FO tank, and he has a reef. He bout a yellow tang, that somehow got ICH. so he moved all his other fish to the reef, and did hyposalinity in the tank, the fo with the tang in it, it was a very interesting story.

S

supermanvx

i think i might add my .02...just set up a proper QT tank, because you will use it for more reasons than just hypo...thats why i call it my vacation tank, or the hospital tank..when i get a new fish, goes in the QT, when a fish is being a bad fish, it goes in the QT...for example, when fishy head's maroon was beatin up the blenny...or when a fish needs to be cured...either way a QT is a "must have" when it comes to sucessful fish keeping. just my opinion anyways

cwgibson

how about just leaving the fish in the qt without doing hypo, and letting the ich fall off naturally;would this be ok? man this is like the little thread that could it just keeps going. :hilarious

bang guy

Originally Posted by MiamiReefr
Questions to Beth and others who may know. Considering the fact if STOP PARASITE does indeed keep the ich off the fish and the careaker observes this over a 2 month period time let's say..... is it safe to assume the ich could not attach to the host and be considered dead?
Nick
If it actually works as claimed then yes, that would be a valid assumption.

reef diver

then youre probly ich free. I have one question. So a single fish comes down with ich. Couldnt you theore4tically remove the infected fish, put him inqt until the cycsts fell off, then put him back in display?

a&a2

Holy Smokes! Lots of conversations goin on here. I did not read them all. Just wanna put in my two cents worth. My hippo had ich after putting it in my tank. I used kick ich and it was gone. Maybe I was lucky, but it has been months with no signs. knock on wood!

a&a2

reef diver--maybe i'm wrong, but even if the fish is removed, isn't there still ick in the tank?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Lets clarify, neither hyposalinity, copper or Stop Parasite will kill ich while the parasite is attached to the fish. Each treatment will effect the parasite at different stages of the parasite's life-cycle. Bottom line, the parasites life cycle is interrupted because ich can not survive, without attaching to fish.
While Stop Parasite may work sometimes, the rate of effectiveness is not 99.9%. Using copper or hypo appropriately is highly effective; you can pretty much rest assured that you've solved the problem.
My opposition to reef safe meds is not so much that they may not work for fish, but, rather, that they have potentially detrimental effects on tank the environment itself, and especially to reef animals.

a&a2

Well---Beth, you have more experience than me and I do not have a full reef, I'mjust saying that worked for me. You would know way more

reef diver

Originally Posted by A&A2
reef diver--maybe i'm wrong, but even if the fish is removed, isn't there still ick in the tank?
Ok, so if there is 1 affected fish, and after 24 hrs of first appearance, there are no other cases, couldnt the affected fish be moved to quarantine, until the parasites dropped off the fish, then the fish, mnow healthy is moibed back to the Display tank.

a&a2

I thought it could also infect the live rock in the tank and harbor in there if you don't get the fish out before the ick falls off

scsinet

Ok, so if there is 1 affected fish, and after 24 hrs of first appearance, there are no other cases, couldnt the affected fish be moved to quarantine, until the parasites dropped off the fish, then the fish, mnow healthy is moibed back to the Display tank.

I thought it could also infect the live rock in the tank and harbor in there if you don't get the fish out before the ick falls off

It can "infect" the live rock. It's not really an infection per se, but rather the trophots lay in waiting in the live rock and substrate until they break open into free swimming tomites. At this point they can re-infect the fish. Once one fish suffers a major infection, it starts a chain reaction that expoentially increases the number of bugs in the system, causing healthier fish to be overwhelmed and themselves become visibly infected.
The single biggest misconception about Ich is that if the fish doesn't have spots, its not infected. While it is possible to have a completely ich free system, this is not true in 99% of the cases. In almost all systems, ich is always present, but the fishes are not stressed and are therefore able to reject a major, visible infection.
Therefore, simply removing the infected fish until the trophonts fall off does not eliminate it, though it may solve the outbreak. The only way to completely eradicate ich from the system is to do one of two things:
1. Treat the system with copper or hyposalinity. These methods actively kill the ich, not just stopping it from attaching, etc.
2. Remove all animals from the system and allow the system to go fallow for 30 days or so. All ich bugs will die in this length of time.
In most cases, however, completely eliminating the ich from the system is not viable. It's can always be a dream, but the trick to stopping ich is to have stable water conditions, a natural, non-stressing environment for the fish, and to make sure the fish are not overcrowded or oversized for the tank.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by Reef Diver
Ok, so if there is 1 affected fish, and after 24 hrs of first appearance, there are no other cases, couldn't the affected fish be moved to quarantine, until the parasites dropped off the fish, then the fish, mnow healthy is moibed back to the Display tank.
No, because part of the parasite's lifecycle includes swimming in the water and laying on surfaces. Ich does not appear on fish on cue. Its a living organism; some ich will be in the water, some on fish. Its not timed like clockwork to follow a convenient cycle.
There is no trick to eliminating ich...just don't introduce it to begin. Here is where QT enters the picture. If you QT and eliminate ich [and other diseases] before it ever gets to your display, you will maintain healthy fish in a healthy, non-medicated fish tank.