Just picked up my 450 gallon!!

ilovemytank

I haven't seen anyone suggest yet how you could recoup your entire invetment in this tank and make money; Sea land charges money to swim with dolphins... I'm thinking you charge all the kids in the area to swim with your fish ! just a thought.

crimzy

Thanks for the comments guys...
This tank is very different than any tank I've had before. I am using a bunch of the little amenities that I haven't previously. The GFCI's, grounding probe and auto topoff are all in place and operating well.
The VHO lights are still not working, even with the new ballast I just got. There may be a short in the end caps that I will try to work out. Once I get that and the moonlights running, then I just let things run for a while. I plan to look for fish to add no earlier than October. Got a free GSP today.

I sold my old tank so that was pretty cool. Will post some new pics in the next day or two.

crimzy

Figured I'd update this thread, and I will post some pics later tonight or tomorrow.
I now have one VHO blue bulb and one T5 white bulb and they appear to be operating well, (actually just set up the T5 endcaps yesterday so I haven't really seen them much). Got two 4" fans operating and I just ordered a 4 fan clip-on unit from the

[hr]
site. I have the ballast coming for the other two MH lights and I still need a bulb for one of those lights.
I haven't added any fish yet. Finding a fish that is compatible with mine is a challenge, much less finding a fish that I actually like. I'm going to be patient and add only the "right" fish.
Have added a bunch of GSP, Kenya Tree, zenia, shrooms and some zoo frags that are all doing well. I also added a monkey shrimp to the fuge to help scavenge and because it looks cool. I'm still looking for more LR rubble to fill my fuge.
Overall things are going well. I am getting a couple aptaisia in the display and I was considering trying Chem Marin's Stop Aptaisia. Never tried it but I like their other products.
This thing is just a $$ PIT!!!

ca161406

so awesome, is that a hawk i see? it looks...spotty and purple! lol
did u use the novus to get out the scratches...im having a crappy time with that stuff

pumper

Originally Posted by :rotfl:
http:///forum/post/2599244
i know a easy way to get it clean!!! i heard DROOL works well on coraline; Invite a couple of us over to just stand around it for a hour with a beer in our hands
........... good luck with it awesome
Thats a good one sulley... I started laughing out loud immediately.

crimzy

Originally Posted by ca161406
http:///forum/post/2779505
so awesome, is that a hawk i see? it looks...spotty and purple! lol
did u use the novus to get out the scratches...im having a crappy time with that stuff

That's a miniatus grouper. I used novus on the scratches but it only did a mediocre job. The scratches look like they come out, especially after the acrylic is cleaned. But as the algae has appeared in my tank, it reflects all those scratches that I couldn't get out.

kjr_trig

Lookin good man, you really got the background cleaned up.....Looks like your Blonde Naso is just starting to grow streamers out.
Sorry if I missed it, what are the PVC pipes coming up from the bottom?

crimzy

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/2779595
Lookin good man, you really got the background cleaned up.....Looks like your Blonde Naso is just starting to grow streamers out.
Sorry if I missed it, what are the PVC pipes coming up from the bottom?
Thx... yeah the naso's streamers are growing. That fish, more than any other, is enjoying the new tank.
The PVC from the bottom are the closed loops. I am going to build the rock a bit more to cover them up.

stdreb27

That is when you out and buy 200 pounds of rock, put it in the tank and go dang I thought I bought more rock than this.

crimzy

Originally Posted by stdreb27
http:///forum/post/2779625
That is when you out and buy 200 pounds of rock, put it in the tank and go dang I thought I bought more rock than this.
Yeah... actually would you believe that there's over 300 lbs of rock in there?