Just Started My SW Tank!!! HELP ME OUT!

shyshko08

Just started my first tank and decided to start with saltwater (I have confidence in my self
ahha anyways I was just trying to get some feed back on how I'm doing so far and looking for some great tips for the future.
***I DID NOT PUT EVERYTHING IN ON THE SAME DAY***
I've been testing the water for a week or so before I put fish in. My tank hasnt fully cycled yet but I read online that clowns can withstand the cycle. I've had the tank up and running for about 2 weeks
Here is the setup:

-45g Tank w/ stand
-10,000k Daylight and T5 Actinic Strip light
-Each lamp is 21watts-
-Fluval 305 Canister Filter
-Power head Hydor Koralia 1
-200 Watt Heater
-26lb of Live Rock (with a few bristle worms)
-30lb of Live Sand
- 2 False Clowns
My first question would be, Are lights strong enough?

nwdyr

the light is only 42 watts ? If so then I would say no , you will need allot more if you want a reef tank. Like 3watts per gallon. You are going to hear allot of people say this , so let me be the first. Too early for clowns! who told you they could go through a cycle? let me guess...the LFS
If they told you this don't go back to that store! well hope for the best but I think it was to early to add fish
what do you plan on doing with the tank? reef , just fish?

shyshko08

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2854876
the light is only 42 watts ? If so then I would say no , you will need allot more if you want a reef tank. Like 3watts per gallon. You are going to hear allot of people say this , so let me be the first. Too early for clowns! who told you they could go through a cycle? let me guess...the LFS
If they told you this don't go back to that store! well hope for the best but I think it was to early to add fish
what do you plan on doing with the tank? reef , just fish?
I bought a book on starting a sw tank. This guy has been doing this for years and has a PH.D in marine biology and said clowns will help the cycling processes and that its ok to add them. But who knows, we will see. My ammonia hasnt spiked yet and its been almost a week. I'm planning on doing both reef and fish. I'm just adding things in gradually. I dont have as a fat of a wallet that I want

zshain012

yea prob too early for the clown fish but I don't have a PHD lol. I think it would look cool if you get more rock to make bridges that will go from one big rock to the next

shyshko08

I'm reading the book right now and it also says that you can buy clown fish (2 to 4 of them) to help speed up the process. He also says that once the ammonia starts creeping up to do a 20% water change. Same thing once you see the Nitrite creeping up

I do test the water every morning! And on stand-by for the ammonia!

todj2002

if anything some people use damsels. they are pretty hardy but it is kinda mean to make the fish go thru the cycle. believe me when i say one of the first biggest things u need to learn about this hobby is PATIENCE. 2nd i would say listen closely to anyone with experience. this will save a lot of suffering for the creatures and your wallet. trust me. i have been at this for two years and still learning - alot!

shyshko08

Originally Posted by TODJ2002
http:///forum/post/2854903
if anything some people use damsels. they are pretty hardy but it is kinda mean to make the fish go thru the cycle. believe me when i say one of the first biggest things u need to learn about this hobby is PATIENCE. 2nd i would say listen closely to anyone with experience. this will save a lot of suffering for the creatures and your wallet. trust me. i have been at this for two years and still learning - alot!

meowzer

Originally Posted by Shyshko08
http:///forum/post/2854895
I'm reading the book right now and it also says that you can buy clown fish (2 to 4 of them) to help speed up the process. He also says that once the ammonia starts creeping up to do a 20% water change. Same thing once you see the Nitrite creeping up

I do test the water every morning! And on stand-by for the ammonia!
I have books too...LOL...also personally spoke to "Marine Biologists" and let's just say I have spend $100's of dollars on inadequate equipment....I have a 225g tank, and wish that I knew about this site before I started...I added fish after a month, and luckily they all did well....I would recommend that you read some of the threads in this forum BEFORE you do anything else...Like I said before...wish I had known about his site 1st...
OH YEAH...I agree with needing more LR....if you think you need to add anything else, add a few snails...

gmann1139

I haven't seen this mentioned yet...
You'll need a CUC (cleanup crew) to help deal with detritus and algae. You'll get 1000 different opinions on what to get, but just search around on CUC and you should be able to see what people usually use.
You're going to see an ammonia spike within the next week or so, pray for your clowns that they can withstand it. I'm interested in what book you got. I've never heard cycling with clowns mentioned.
Other than the CUC though, don't do anything else for the next month. If you break the cycle, or interrupt it, you'll be paying for it for months to come.

geridoc

Originally Posted by ZShain012
http:///forum/post/2854887
yea prob too early for the clown fish but I don't have a PHD lol. I think it would look cool if you get more rock to make bridges that will go from one big rock to the next
I do have a Ph.D. (and 35 years of saltwater experience), and I'm telling you that your book is either very old, or just plain wrong! If you want to read a good, current and authoritative book, try Fenner's "Conscientious Aquariast".

snakeblitz33

Actually, Clownfish are in the damselfish family, so they are hardy as well. You can use clownfish to cycle your new tank, however it is more expensive to do so.
Most people these days recommend a fishless cycle, letting a piece of raw shrimp in the tank rot for awhile until ammonia and nitrite is 0.
Doing your research on forums and getting current is key to having a successful saltwater tank. Good luck!

shyshko08

Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///forum/post/2855496
Actually, Clownfish are in the damselfish family, so they are hardy as well. You can use clownfish to cycle your new tank, however it is more expensive to do so.
Most people these days recommend a fishless cycle, letting a piece of raw shrimp in the tank rot for awhile until ammonia and nitrite is 0.
Doing your research on forums and getting current is key to having a successful saltwater tank. Good luck!
Thats exacly what I read in the book. He also mentions using damselfish for a cycle. Thanks for the reply! I'll keep people posted and let you know if my fish get through it alright.

shyshko08

Originally Posted by mboswell1982
http:///forum/post/2855549
have you done a test recently? if so, or if you do one today, give us your tank parameters
Yes, I test the water every morning. Everything is at zero and pH level is between 8.2-8.4
Fish are looking great, they are very active!