KAT74's 29g Biocube Diary

nwdyr

Well Kat as always.....WOW
so many great pic's, Lets see...start with the fox, great piece and I know this is going to sound like I am a copy cat but, I really was looking at one also right before I picked up the hammer. My son and I look at your tank befor we go to the LFS to get ideas! Waht a great looking rock also, my fav. in your tank. Beautiful Wrass too. That xenia frag is really nice, and a great clear pic too. Amazing feather dusters!! as usuall your tank keeps me inspired and interested in the hobby. I went to the Chicago Shed Aquarium today with my son and It was the best day I have spent in a loooong time. And then I get to end it with seeing you'r pictures, truly Kat we are all so fortunate to have you here. God Bless

K

kat74

Originally Posted by Blazin2k6
http:///forum/post/2487678
Nice new pics. Love the look of the tank now with that extra large cave.

Thanks!~

That cave still uses up a lot of room in my tank. I'm wondering what other lesser light demanding type of corals I can put on there.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by nwdyr
http:///forum/post/2488638
Well Kat as always.....WOW
so many great pic's, Lets see...start with the fox, great piece and I know this is going to sound like I am a copy cat but, I really was looking at one also right before I picked up the hammer. My son and I look at your tank befor we go to the LFS to get ideas! Waht a great looking rock also, my fav. in your tank. Beautiful Wrass too. That xenia frag is really nice, and a great clear pic too. Amazing feather dusters!! as usuall your tank keeps me inspired and interested in the hobby. I went to the Chicago Shed Aquarium today with my son and It was the best day I have spent in a loooong time. And then I get to end it with seeing you'r pictures, truly Kat we are all so fortunate to have you here. God Bless

awwww..... WOW! What a sweet, sweet compliment!~
Honestly, I just try to put my tank together the best I can. I'm constantly changing things out and moving things around, giving things away, etc. The guy that maintains the 225 gallon tank in our lobby probably loves me because I am always giving him things! Let's see, what have I given him since October.... Koralia Nano, about 10 different zoa frags, hammer coral, kenya tree, palys, sixline wrasse, and my pair of misbars.

I think that it's wonderful that you and your son can enjoy this hobby together! What a wonderful bonding experience!
Thanks again, as always, for your compliments!~

halostalker

Thanx for the advise, i saw purple up at my LFS but i heard so many bad things about it saying its just like adding more calcium to ur tank so its better off getting kallewaser or etc.
HEY ur Guilty of not checking my diary lol or else u would know that all i have in my tank so far is one scarlet hermit and one snail

yea i have to wait a bit so i get the tank established first with coral before i start to add inverts.
I also have to wait to find a pair of harlequins that aren't the common type which the species name ends with picta
The one on my avatar is of the species elegans (which is a more bluer shrimp then the redish picta.
yea i just did a 4.5 gallon water change. at night when the lights are out my tank is looking cooler every night b/c there are these spots on the LR that glow under the moonlights which in the day are spots of purple corraline algae (the spots keep geting bigger=P)

K

kat74

Originally Posted by HaloStalker
http:///forum/post/2488982
HEY ur Guilty of not checking my diary lol or else u would know that all i have in my tank so far is one scarlet hermit and one snail

You know what?? After I posted that, I went to your thread and I was like "wait... where did the pics of the harlequins eating the chocolate chip starfish go??" and then I saw that your tank just cycled and you only had the crab and snail, and I was confused... I was confusing YOU with the person who has the tank with the harlequins because I saw the harlequin in your avatar, and then I remembered that you were the one who was going to do that cool "all invert" tank and have a jellyfish, right? Arrgh! Too hard for me to remember usernames and then everyone changes avatars!

I WILL be keeping up with your thread and progress!

halostalker

LOL I understand=P pretty funny.
I would probably forget names and avatars too if i have a nice tank like u b/c all i would do all day would be looking at it and and not paying attension to anything else

thanx always nice to have people guide me threw my first reef tank advise is always helpful

dpcorky

Kat your tank looks great, i also have a 29g Biocube, but i cant get much to happen with it, first of all do you have problems with the ballasts for your lights blowing out, i go through 1 every 3 months. also do you have the stock lighting system still hooked up i cant believe how many different things you have going on in your tank, i tried a couple of soft corals in the bio but had to move them to my 40g metal halide tank because the were not getting enough light. please help with any advice you have.
David

K

kat74

Originally Posted by HaloStalker
http:///forum/post/2490285
LOL I understand=P pretty funny.
I would probably forget names and avatars too if i have a nice tank like u b/c all i would do all day would be looking at it and and not paying attension to anything else

thanx always nice to have people guide me threw my first reef tank advise is always helpful

Well, my work keeps me pretty busy right now, so I hardly have time to look at my tank anymore. It's situated on my credenza, which is behind my desk, so to look at my tank, I have to turn around to do it and if the big boss catches me staring at my tank all day, well..... there goes my tank!

K

kat74

Originally Posted by dpcorky
http:///forum/post/2490855
Kat your tank looks great, i also have a 29g Biocube, but i cant get much to happen with it, first of all do you have problems with the ballasts for your lights blowing out, i go through 1 every 3 months. also do you have the stock lighting system still hooked up i cant believe how many different things you have going on in your tank, i tried a couple of soft corals in the bio but had to move them to my 40g metal halide tank because the were not getting enough light. please help with any advice you have.
David
How long have you had yours set up?
I haven't had any problems at all with my ballast, but heard that some people do, so I went ahead and contacted Oceanic and told them that I had a bad ballast so that they would send me one, so that I would have one on hand in case it did go out. Wrong of me, I know.... but I wanted to have one on hand in case mine went out. They sent me one without any problems. Then I got another.... and another. I got a total of 3 ballasts. Haven't needed it yet, but I'm ready just in case!

Which soft corals did you try that didn't work?
I'm still just using the stock lighting. I do have plans to do the nano tuners 4.36 upgrade soon, but all I plan to keep are softies and some LPS, so it'll just add additional PC's and make what I have happier.

K

kat74

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2490895
Those

[hr]
clowns are so freaking cute!!!! I wish I had those!!! Id trade in my maroon for one of those in a heartbeat.

So *NOW* you show back up in my thread after you ran away for awhile after I asked YOU to come down and rearrange my aquascape!

j/k
Aren't they cute??? I fell in LOVE with them when I saw them and just had to have them!

K

kat74

Originally Posted by OakleeRulez
http:///forum/post/2491021
I love those clowns!! I saw some at my lfs, but they were already sold.
If you want them, I'm sure that your LFS can place an order for them for you! I know that when my LFS ordered them from ORA, they had a limit of 2 per shipment.

nwdyr

ok Kat, I need you!!!!! I will send you a ticket to fly into Chicago if you help me re-arrange my tank!!!!! I found 2 more Gorilla crabs!!!!!!!! my tank is a mess............ help

K

kat74

http:///forum/post/2491055
ok Kat, I need you!!!!! I will send you a ticket to fly into Chicago if you help me re-arrange my tank!!!!! I found 2 more Gorilla crabs!!!!!!!! my tank is a mess............ help

If you fly me into Chicago, can I go see the Oprah show and hope that it's the one where she's giving away her "favorite things"?

j/k!
Yeah, I read about your issue and posted a response...
BTW, what makes you think I
know what I'm doing with regards to rearranging and aquascaping my tank? I asked Paintballer to come down and do it for me and he disappeared from my thread until today!

nwdyr

If my tank could look half as good as you'r tank, big cave or not, I would be happy... And I called Oprah and she said you and I can come early and have lunch with her before the show. Just let me know when you'r ready.

K

kat74

http:///forum/post/2491653
If my tank could look half as good as you'r tank, big cave or not, I would be happy... And I called Oprah and she said you and I can come early and have lunch with her before the show. Just let me know when you'r ready.
WooHoo!!~
Think Oprah will sponsor my next tank upgrade?

dpcorky

Hey Kat i've had my tank for 2 years (warranty expired) oceanic never returned any of my calls i got the new ballasts from lfs, the corals i tried were my kenya tree (just laid on its side) and Leather (wilted off its base) both doing great in other tank. i have another question. it looks like you dont use the carbon filter for the tanks how do you filter the water. if you do use the carbon filter in what way do you use the Purigen and Chemipure elite.
thanks again for your help
david

K

kat74

Originally Posted by dpcorky
http:///forum/post/2491784
Hey Kat i've had my tank for 2 years (warranty expired) oceanic never returned any of my calls i got the new ballasts from lfs, the corals i tried were my kenya tree (just laid on its side) and Leather (wilted off its base) both doing great in other tank. i have another question. it looks like you dont use the carbon filter for the tanks how do you filter the water. if you do use the carbon filter in what way do you use the Purigen and Chemipure elite.
thanks again for your help
david
I'm surprised that the kenya tree and leather didn't do well in your tank. I had a kenya tree and it overgrew and took over everything; killed a colony of pink pom pom xenia and was dropping baby kenya trees everywhere. I got rid of it. Not sure if my leather is going to be a success or not. It's been shedding and hasn't really extended any polyps in the last week or so, so we'll see... Are you able to keep other corals okay?
I don't use the stock filter. In chamber one, I have the Oceanic Biocube skimmer and a 100w stealth heater. In chamber 2, on top of the drip tray, I use filter floss and change that out every 2-3 days. In chamber 3 I have the Purigen and Chemipure Elite. I do have a bag of carbon that I can use if I need it.
As for Oceanic's customer service and warranty. When I contacted them for a ballast, all they asked me for was for the 4 digit production code found next to the Oceanic logo on the ballast. I had no idea I could get a ballast for the Biocube at a LFS, but with my luck, none of them would have it when I need it.
Oceanic warranties are now handled by a company called Central Aquatics. Here is the direct link to their "Contact Us" form. (Hope I can post this since it's not a competitor website)
http://www.oceanicsystems.com/contact/
Or, you can try calling this guy, which may be quicker. He's the one who e-mailed me back.
Brian Woodruff
Product Lines Tech Support Dept.
Central Aquatics
1-800-255-4527 ext.1216
Fax# 1-800-398-0396
email: b w o o d r u f f @ c e n t r a l . c o m