kitchen nano progress pics (old and new)

stephenhughes

No kidding!!! I'm seriously thinking of planning my new tank with a custom cabinet above and empty space for storage below.

brooklyn johnny

Thanks George! FYI everyone George is my buddy in Baltimore who hooked me up with many of the corals I have in my nano, and this weekend I was just there and picked up a new monti I'll post pics of. He's got a basement full of gorgeous tanks that would get many Wows on this board...

jugger

WOW those shots are just amazing..... you must have more money inside that nano than most ppl have in a 75g..
Johnny could you please post a close up pic of your fungia.... im tring to compare with the one i just got, to get an idea of what a healthy one looks like.... my is still very green and not pink....
thanks

brooklyn johnny

Thanks jugger... believe it or not the only real expenses have been my clams, and beyond that many have been frags from members of my reef club.
Here is a pic from I think April of my fungia. Regarding indicators of health, color is not really a good one, particularly with fungia. There are many varieties and colors of corals in the genus fungia, including a new orange variety I've seen recently for $120 at a LFS. Look in Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals book and he has many photos of different varieties. Just because yours is green doesn't mean it's less healthy, it's just a different variety or species.
A healthy fungia should have no exposed skeleton. In the picture here you could see that the tissue is pretty well extended and the tentacles are flying around. Sometimes, usually during the day in my case, it is shriveled up, which is normal. It's different with every coral, but you should see this continuous ebb and flow of opening and closing over a 24 hour period. Regarding color, when I first got it it was a deeper pink, but it has adapted to the lighting it's under and grown more of a lighter pink. I believe the pink fungias are from shallower water, thus having these pigments as a result of receiving more light. In my tank it's adapted and has grown quite a bit. Just because it's lighter or darker has little indication of health. Corals will grow under different intensities and wavelengths, adjusting their pigments and thus their appearence. This is called adaptation, as us humans have done. It doesn't mean Brazilians are healthier than us just because they have a tan, that's just the way they've adapted to deal with the sun. Send a pasty white Minnesotan to Brazil, or vice versa, and the same thing would happen :D
Do you have a pic of yours?
Johnny

jugger

thanks alot for the info that makes alot of sense.... your a perty nice and helpful guy.... i wise i had a nice close reef club in my area that would trade frags...
well when i saw my fungia in the LFS it was pink and they labled it "pink fungia" they only had it for 1 week before i got it... after i took it home it turned green.... i have only had it for 1 week so far and it seems healthy as far as: the tenticals coming out perty far, iv never seen any exposed skeleton, bleaching, or tissue loss, the thing eats like a HOGG...seriously it eats everything i put on it, and mine is puffy during the day and but sucks up during the night.... but they large differnce i the color is the only thing that worried me.... but if its normal for them to have different colors in differnt environments than i will stop worring.....
i just like the intense pink color i see with everyone elses
if you have any good tips on how to keep these guys healthy and happy long term please let me know
the first pic is when i got it and the next is todays pic... i wish i had a good camera so please bear with me....
thanks Johnny

brooklyn johnny

It looks good to me jugger... I wouldn't worry... it's always a surprise what certain corals will turn under everyone's unique setup. Go easy on the feeding. I haven't spot fed mine in a long time and I've noticed no difference. Just go easy on the feeding.
Johnny

peanut1181

Hey Johnny,
Do you have a powerhead or anything to add flow in the 'fuge? I think I am going to have to put something in there to add some movement. My 'fuge is 15g and I think I need a powerhead in there? you agree? Thanks.
Peanut1181

brooklyn johnny

Peanut have a Minijet 404 up in the fuge. I did have to add as you probably will because I had almost no flow. Macro will grow much better with flow... so yeah I'd add one.

J

joey d

Johnny, you have an awesome tank.. couple of questions...
what depth do you reccomend for the live sand in the tank and the fuge...
how does the fuge return the water.. is the tank drilled?
what kind of critters did you put in the fuge ?
what is the vertical pipe in the middle of the main tank ? heater ?
do you have any spray bars behind the corals at the bottom ?
thanks and keep up the outstanding work !!!!
joe

brooklyn johnny

Joey thanks... to answer your questions...
My sand is at a depth of between 1 and 2 inches... not going to get into the whole DSB debate here, but suffice it to say that in this setup the nutrient cycling has done well despite the relatively heavy bioload. I have many reasons for this, but mainly I attribute a large part of it to the macroalgae growth and harvesting.
The fuge gravity feeds back down to the HOB filter I have after being pumped up via a powerhead. I have included a picture of the HOB filter that I've used for this purpose, with the intake and outtake to the refugium, along with my kalk drip line. The intake for the HOB filter is what you see in the tank. This was a simple way to get this system I had going, and it works well.
The fuge and tank was setup with initial innoculations of established sand from fellow local reefers, on top of a base of Southdown. Buying live sand can be avoided if you have some good local buddies with healthy sandbeds and/or refugiums. Without naming names... it's loaded with cr@p.
I do not have any spray bars, but I do have another modification made to adjust the flow in the tank. I made a plexiglass plate that deflects the flow of the HOB filter behind the rockwork. I'll include a pic of this also... I attached some briarium to the glass and it's since spread... this pic is a few months old and now the glass is almost covered... Flow is very important though and often overlooked.
Thanks for the interest!
Johnny

J

joey d

Johnny,
do you have the fuge drilled for gravity feed ?
thanks for all the info ! you are the bomb !!
Joe