Lagoonal Reef

bang guy

I'm able to get some good growth rate on some of the low light (relatively) SPS corals. Even a nice Turquoise Acropora has done well. I believe it's because of the extra food the Lagoon produces. 90% of SPS physiology is geared toward Zooplankton capture. There must be a reason for that.

spinner

Thanks for the reply.
What are your overall water parameters and have you found that you've needed activated carbon or a phosphate sponge/Phosguard?
Also, in your early pictures, the cynobacteria was plentiful. Did you find it in your display tank also.
Spinner

bang guy

I use Carbon occationally to remove caulerpins, I should probably use it more often.
The Cyanobacter blooms in the Laggon never occured in the Display. I did recently have a Dinoflaggelate outbreak. I don't know what caused it and I don't know why it went away. I'm just glad it's gone.

bang guy

I add more corals every week. I've taken the mangroves out temporarily to see if they are the reason my Magnesium keeps dropping.

ekclark

Bang, you need to write 2 books--one on this project and a second on reef bugs. I think if you just did some home publishing on your bug notes a lot of people here would be happy to pay you for them. Just a thought for when you are less busy:thinking:
Edit--just saw your post in fish room--you have more than one book to write, you are now at three! I'll take Dr. Bang over Dr. Ron any day.

gregvabch

that's awesome and i'm glad i finally saw it. i always saw "lagoon" on your tank size but never actually saw the lagoon. also, that's pretty cool how you built that skimmer, as well as everything else for that matter :D

D

dubbin1

Its cool and all but isnt this kind of overkill for a sump/fug?

nicky1.8t

i think there should be a faq section where posts like this could stay forever. or at least make it a sticky

chris17

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the sweetest thing I have ever seen!!! What is the water temp in that thing????? Do you even have to feed your corals at all????? That is amazing, sorry I dont think that there is a word out there to describe that lagoon and everything else you have done......................You are the MASTER of the saltwater aquarium world.....keep it up!!!!!!!!
P.S. You have some really :happyfish :happyfish :happyfish

nemo lover

bang
I am speachless
By far the best diy I have ever seen. Please keep us up to date on your journey. Can't wait to see how great you progress on raising fry. You have definately masterd "the home aquaria".

nolson

:) That is awesome bang guy.... Very Very Very good work
Thanks for sharing this.
Bump for the few people that havent seen it :)
~ Nick