LARGE Plywood Tank Build

bronco300

well this weekend i didn't get as much done as i was hoping...i screwed up yesterday with how i did the top eurobracing at first, but it is now fixed and the top is complete....i was going to do the front as well but i need to do some sanding first...so this week hopefully i'll be able to finish the front and then the rest of the 45s, completing the frame itself.

brandan

Wow, you did all of this and didn't call me for help!!!! Come on Luke, you are so disappointing!!! lol, looks like you got a lot done.

bronco300

lol, you get to come when i have to lift this bad boy on its end, and even more so when i have to put it on the its CORNER,lol.

yannifish

Are you going to use acrylic or glass for the front wall? And, are you going to put a support in the middle to prevent the glass from bowing (in the front)?

acrylic51

Starphire glass? With the size eurobracing your using you should be fine against bowing.....My only question is what about cross bracing (front to back)?

bronco300

i was considering starphire but i've heard it is easier scratched, and i really just dont want to deal with it...i think standard glas is just a nice even with its tint...so at this point i'm looking at that, plus its much cheaper...
i will probably be doing one or two cross braces front to back....if i go with just two lumen bright reflectors and a 400w bulb i dont think i really want two braces...maybe if they are smaller....i'll have to think about that.

bronco300

Originally Posted by yannifish
http:///forum/post/2477083
Are you going to use acrylic or glass for the front wall? And, are you going to put a support in the middle to prevent the glass from bowing (in the front)?
i misread this, there will be no need for a brace in the middle of my glass...i wouldn't be doing the tank otherwise because that in my opinion would look ugly..just my rim and braces front to back...i shouldn't have any bowing problems with my height i have.
thats what i meant when i said i'll be doing bracing, front to back.

acrylic51

Starphire or Low Iron glass scratches no easier than regular glass so, that shouldn't be a concern really.......With the length of the tank IMHO your going to need (2) cross braces (front to back) I believer with just 1 cross brace it would have to be super wide, and with say a standard 6" brace would still allow to much flex and would be an issue IMO.....I would opt for 2 and you shouldn't have any issues with mounting the MH's over the tank......

acrylic51

Honestly Bronco when I went back and looked at the dimensions on the tank......with your length and height of the tank I'd seriously consider cross bracing.......the lenght and height of the front panel is a serious factor........

bronco300

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/2477613
Honestly Bronco when I went back and looked at the dimensions on the tank......with your length and height of the tank I'd seriously consider cross bracing.......the lenght and height of the front panel is a serious factor........
what do you mean by cross bracing? in the front or front to back? I will probably two on the top to be safe, but I think I'll be fine with those braces and the wide edging around the front.

yannifish

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2477282
i misread this, there will be no need for a brace in the middle of my glass...i wouldn't be doing the tank otherwise because that in my opinion would look ugly..just my rim and braces front to back...i shouldn't have any bowing problems with my height i have.
thats what i meant when i said i'll be doing bracing, front to back.
Ok. I agee, it would make it look ugly.

brandan

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/2477613
I understand on the length, but the height doesn't seem very unreasonable.

hefner413

I'm just glad I'm not making these decisions... I absolutely hope for everything to go perfectly, but I can't imagine what it would be like for such a huge piece of glass to give out on you...

acrylic51

Originally Posted by Brandan
http:///forum/post/2478099
I understand on the length, but the height doesn't seem very unreasonable.
I'm not saying the height is unreasonable, but it plays a major factor into how a tank has to be braced.....Talked to any reputable tank builder either glass or acrylic and they will tell you when you go with the 30" height or taller other factors come into play.......I'm in the process of specing out my new setup and got info first hand.

acrylic51

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2477712
what do you mean by cross bracing? in the front or front to back? I will probably two on the top to be safe, but I think I'll be fine with those braces and the wide edging around the front.
Yes, I'm referring to front to back.....the wide bracing along the front/back and sides is fine, but it has no structural support IMHO on keeping the front panel from starting to bow outward......And with that length I can only imagine it will......Acrylic tanks done with cross bracing along the top will bow depending on the thickness of material.....What thickness of glass are you planning for the front?

wattsupdoc

A brace in the front wouldn't necessarily look bad. You just have to be creative with what you use, or how you cover it up. I like the rustic look, so if it were me, I'd use a piece of carved wood to add an embellishment if you find it necessary to have. Like something with Poseidon carved in it maybe, or some dolphins, you get the idea.
Do the two end braces to go along with it and wallah! Heck I'd do one with the brace just to be safe. then dress it up.

bronco300

i for sure am doing two front to back braces...i will definitely not be doing a front brace...i would be doing a different tank if that was the case....remember the glass is 24" tall, not 30"....it will be 1/2" thick...i have no doubt i want front to back braces for support, so i'll probably do two and the light mover should be plenty well for lighting,etc.