LARGE Plywood Tank Build

bronco300

Originally Posted by blackaero1
http:///forum/post/2463700
We have a local aquarium here that has a different spin on a wave box. The pump is continuously on if I'm not mistaken and the way it works is water enters from thebottom and fills the box. Once it gets near the top it fills a second box that is hinged in a way taht it will dump into the DT once it is fuill. As it empties into the DT it returns to its original position. Pretty neat way of doing it IMO. Honestly its been a while since I've gone to the aquarium so I can't remember the fine details,. just the basic idea of how it works.
i've seen another to this affect in a very large tank, most of a surge tank than wavemaker in my opinion...those are sweet looking though

bronco300

today i worked quite a bit on it...the bottom i reglued with some different glue that is liked gorilla glue, but by elmers...cant remember the name right now...but with this glue the wood has to be damp, and the glue expands as it cures...i was hoping to piece it together a bit more today, but i'd rather be safe than sorry....so i worked on the wavebox, which i am assembly separately so i can epoxy it separately as well...its pretty easy, but time consuming doing all the 45s...but its fun

bronco300

here is the basics for doing the 45s:
make the wood that will be in contact damp:

put the glue down:

place the 45 in place:

and nail/screw:

bronco300

that is what glues like gorilla glue and Elmer's ultimate performance glue require to "cure"...then you let it sit for 24hrs as it cures and expands

bronco300

i already have two pair of clowns that will go in...depending on how they do in a 10' tank i may add a black&white pair...but i wont risk their health for it, i have another tank i can put them in if it doesnt work.

bronco300

i think i'll be getting a light rail and switching to lumen bright reflectors which seem to be brighter than crap and do a very wide span...so i should be fine with two of them with 400w bulbs lighting the length having of course weak spots towards both sides...i can always add another if i find i don't like it.