LARGE Plywood Tank Build

acrylic51

I'd pay to see that........jking.....but would be funny......I could see the headlines on the news now....man slips, hits head and drowns in his fish tank while cleaning it.....Then we'd have all kinds of goverment interference in the hobby banning deep tanks......

acrylic51

On a serious side.....I did see a thread on -- where the guy doing a massive inwall set had the "cat walk" built in place before he ever set the stand and tank in place.....It was a 2 step platform around the sides and back of tank.

bronco300

Originally Posted by acrylic51
http:///forum/post/2456759
I'd pay to see that........jking.....but would be funny......I could see the headlines on the news now....man slips, hits head and drowns in his fish tank while cleaning it.....Then we'd have all kinds of goverment interference in the hobby banning deep tanks......

lol, all thanks to me..wonderful, my fiance will start to get hate mails from saltwater nuts...lol
as for the platform i think i'll have to because it seems like a good idea and wouldn't be too hard to do

bronco300

I think I'll do the external overflow....thanks for the info guys....I'll probably do like the pictures shows...it'll be from the first drain to the mid drain....and i'll put in another bulkhead between the two just for safety to keep the box secure as i am not going to drill it into my tank...and then i'll silicone the bulkhead etcetc...i'll use a glass or acrylic box...whichever i get to first,lol. And then I think I'll use two drains down to the sump instead of one with the option of closing any drain if needed for any reason.

B

bonita69

Originally Posted by Bronco300
http:///forum/post/2456430
lol, very true...i can see myself trying to stretch wayyyy up to the front bottom corner on a ladder so i dont have to go around again....pushing my tiptoes on the ladder as it falls over, my face goes in the water, hit my stomach on the tank rim and fall over the back,lol.....that sounds like great fun!

yannifish

http:///forum/post/2456135
dimensions are as mentioned....it will be 130 x 30 x 30" ...i'm not sure how much live rock or sand i'll be using, but quite a bit of it...the sand will be 2" deep or so...and rock will just fly the whistle and see.
Nice size tank. Will the wave box be visible when looking in the front of the tank? How are you planning on aquascaping it, with one big wall in the middle, or more piles of rock and more exposed sand bed, a more natural look (and looks the bedt, in my opinion)

http:///forum/post/2456430
lol, very true...i can see myself trying to stretch wayyyy up to the front bottom corner on a ladder so i dont have to go around again....pushing my tiptoes on the ladder as it falls over, my face goes in the water, hit my stomach on the tank rim and fall over the back,lol.....that sounds like great fun!

lol. Any more progress? Pics?

bronco300

the wavebox will not be visible...i'm making it so it'll be behind the wall on that part.....as for aquascaping, i'll probably do piles and what not, haven't yet figured it out, probably wont know till i do it.
no more pictures yet...nothing really new...have to cut some wood and then cut the 2x2s...need to go get them first

bronco300

ok, i have the major pieces cut, bottom, back, side side side....here are some pictures of what it'll sort of look like...without the bottom or any of the trim/bracing.

bronco300

thanks, i havent decided yet on the design, but i want something like that...the only problem is figuring out how to incorporate the lids to be able to get in from the front...yet not make it look all broken up in sections above....well i suppose i could if i made it look nice, i just thought maybe one flush look would look better....i don't know.

yannifish

Nice! I've heard of people building plywood tanks, but never seen someone do it. Its neat to watch someone do it!

bronco300

thanks, so far i'm enjoying it very much....here are some pictures of basically what the wavebox part will look like....just have to figure out how high i was the cross piece there.

bronco300

hahahahahaha...sorry, that just made me laugh some....a wavebox is to create wave motions...here is how it works:
you have a box that has a hole close to the bottom for your pump....the box goes up above the water level so no water comes in from the top.....the water automatically pours into the box from the hole where the pumps is (need a pump with good flow through like how the tunze casing....so anyways...the water level evens out with the water inside the box...you then pulse the pump on and off...the pump has to be powerful enough that it pushes water out more than what i can come in....so it raises the level of the water in the tank...once the pump shuts off, the water runs back into the box leveling out again....so then you pulse the pumps on and off constantly making a wave motion in the tank

yannifish

Originally Posted by Hefner413
http:///forum/post/2461860
I assume to make waves..
sorry... had to say it.
truly though, I don't know how it works either...
I guess that was coming. I should have wrote how does a wavebox work.

http:///forum/post/2461910
hahahahahaha...sorry, that just made me laugh some....a wavebox is to create wave motions...here is how it works:
you have a box that has a hole close to the bottom for your pump....the box goes up above the water level so no water comes in from the top.....the water automatically pours into the box from the hole where the pumps is (need a pump with good flow through like how the tunze casing....so anyways...the water level evens out with the water inside the box...you then pulse the pump on and off...the pump has to be powerful enough that it pushes water out more than what i can come in....so it raises the level of the water in the tank...once the pump shuts off, the water runs back into the box leveling out again....so then you pulse the pumps on and off constantly making a wave motion in the tank

Ok. Thanks!

B

blackaero1

We have a local aquarium here that has a different spin on a wave box. The pump is continuously on if I'm not mistaken and the way it works is water enters from thebottom and fills the box. Once it gets near the top it fills a second box that is hinged in a way taht it will dump into the DT once it is fuill. As it empties into the DT it returns to its original position. Pretty neat way of doing it IMO. Honestly its been a while since I've gone to the aquarium so I can't remember the fine details,. just the basic idea of how it works.