List of fish/inverts that hobbiests should avoid

alyssia

Originally Posted by hahahaleig
ok. its called Tosia australis & here's a picture.

That is one cool looking star!

dc2mlbsm

Originally Posted by alyssia
Brine does not have any nutritional value.
ok if you read my other post you will see that i am being sarcastic

alyssia

Originally Posted by dc2mlbsm
ok if you read my other post you will see that i am being sarcastic

Sorry, guess I should read the entire post next time.

<<sorry, but my 5 year old insisted...

xdave

I won't condemn all butterflies, they should only be kept by experienced aquarists, and for the most part not in a reef tank, but there are some fairly hardy ones.
But heres a couple to definately avoid
The Rainfordi, amazingly beautiful fish from Australia that seldom accepts anything to eat except corals.

The Trifasciatus, you'll see these in the assorted fly tank, very picky eaters, this picture is the Pacific subspecies but they all look like this

lion_crazz

I was not saying all butterflies should not be kept, but out of every 5, 1 or 2 of them might be a good aquarium candidate. Thus, out of 100 butterflies, I would say maybe 20-40 should actually be considered good aquarium fish.
Longnose and heniochus butterfly are both very easy to keep when kept in the proper system. Heniochus should be kept in schools of at least three. Both species, as well as all butterflies, need to be kept in a tank which water quality is just about ideal, with the nitrates definitely as close to zero as possible.

jam1e

Originally Posted by dc2mlbsm
how bout a harlequing tusk? aint they hard to keep?

I have a Harlequin Tusk .. great fish .. doesn't catch anything

sepulatian

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
I was not saying all butterflies should not be kept, but out of every 5, 1 or 2 of them might be a good aquarium candidate. Thus, out of 100 butterflies, I would say maybe 20-40 should actually be considered good aquarium fish.
Longnose and heniochus butterfly are both very easy to keep when kept in the proper system. Heniochus should be kept in schools of at least three. Both species, as well as all butterflies, need to be kept in a tank which water quality is just about ideal, with the nitrates definitely as close to zero as possible.
Yes, definately
pretty susceptable to ich as well.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by xDave
The very worst butterflies are at your lfs labeled "assorted".
I totally agree. I think any fish labeled "assorted" at the LFS is bad news...