List of fish/inverts that hobbiests should avoid

leftyblite

This maybe not totally accurate Lion, but from what I've read on this site and in books that I've researched, sharks are deifinitely not for beginners. For one thing I know of LFS that will tell you a shark can live happily in a 55G which is totally inaccurate. Alot of beginners get sharks without knowing what they are doing to the poor creature. Sharks should be left to those who have some experience and the room to keep them.

leftyblite

Sorry forgot to add that when I first started setting up my 150G I really wanted a small shark, but thanks to this site and other research I did, I finally realized what a bad idea this was.

vtfishies

also lion..not sure if i missed it but leopard wrasse? books say hard to care for..i had one rip...filter suicide...i had it to take some brine after a month of trial and no sucess...and we all know how good brine is for anyfish..plz correct me if i'm wrong..

dc2mlbsm

Originally Posted by vtfishies
also lion..not sure if i missed it but leopard wrasse? books say hard to care for..i had one rip...filter suicide...i had it to take some brine after a month of trial and no sucess...and we all know how good brine is for anyfish..plz correct me if i'm wrong..
brines not good.....it has no nutrional value.

merredeth

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
I would add, Electric Flame Scalllops as well! and I heard Flower Pots slowly die after a while!
I never heard any problems with Flame Scallops and purchased two about a year ago. I still have the same two that were first added to my favorite tank. Like I said though, I have since learned subsequent to the purchase that people have had trouble keeping them after a few weeks.
I would say the novice shouldn't have them however if you do the one thing I would recommend is supplimenting the water with Marine Snow. While I just read on this thread there are ways to suppliment feed them further, I have not done it due to lack of information about further supplimentation. I'll now see what I can get a hold of to further suppliment feed them as my grandkids love the flames.
Also, I would also suggest they be put in a community tank where there is no agressive fish or fish that tend to torture inverts.
Denise M.

ophiura

Denise - now is the interesting period. Definitely monitor your flame scallops now at about the year mark. As with other animals, that seems to be a critical time frame.
Personally, instead of marine snow I would recommend some of the less, I don't know how to say it, :notsure: "mysterious" supplements...there are now several that are pretty clear what they are, like DTs phytoplankton and similar, oyster eggs, etc.

vtfishies

Originally Posted by dc2mlbsm
brines not good.....it has no nutrional value.

agreed...hard to read the words if u cant hear the tone of voice..was very sarcstic...brine is not good...not good in any way...

dc2mlbsm

Originally Posted by vtfishies
agreed...hard to read the words if u cant hear the tone of voice..was very sarcstic...brine is not good...not good in any way...
thats where youre wrong
it is good to stuff the tummies of your fish

N

nereef

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
Yep, I will add the mandarin.
hey, lol.

merredeth

Originally Posted by ophiura
Denise - now is the interesting period. Definitely monitor your flame scallops now at about the year mark. As with other animals, that seems to be a critical time frame.
Personally, instead of marine snow I would recommend some of the less, I don't know how to say it, :notsure: "mysterious" supplements...there are now several that are pretty clear what they are, like DTs phytoplankton and similar, oyster eggs, etc.
Ophiura: I was using phyto and then went to marine snow. I guess I'll go back to the phyto as I have always had a high respect for your vast knowledge. I already have some here so I'll start using that and keep the water parameters in check. So far no problems - but like any other fish or invert feeding and water quality seem to be the reason for their demise.
Thanks for your .02¢ - although with inflation at 4.3% this year we need to give ya a raise for your opinion. :hilarious
Denise M.

alyssia

Originally Posted by dc2mlbsm
thats where youre wrong
it is good to stuff the tummies of your fish

Brine does not have any nutritional value.

alyssia

Originally Posted by Merredeth
Thanks for your .02¢ - although with inflation at 4.3% this year we need to give ya a raise for your opinion. :hilarious
Denise M.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Merredeth
Ophiura: I was using phyto and then went to marine snow. I guess I'll go back to the phyto
I'll accept the raise!
thanks!
What I generally would recommend is diversity, so keep various options on hand and mix it up now and then

merredeth

I'll accept the raise!
thanks!

Unfortunately, your raise only comes to 0.00086 adjusted for inflation.

What I generally would recommend is diversity, so keep various options on hand and mix it up now and then

I will definitely mix it up for the flames. I have to tell you though, I've managed to amaze myself.
I had a henny that croaked over a year ago from God only knows what, but I have managed to keep flames going for this long in addition to the Austrailan Sea Apple.
Water parameters were good when the henny croaked and for the most part other than occasional water parameter tweaking the three are still alive and doing well.
I know I'm playing in dangerous waters with the sea apple. It just never ceases to amaze me how something relatively hardier managed to die and these sensitive creatures still seem to be doing so well.
Oh well, that's my 0.02086¢ worth on this subject.

Denise M.

ophiura

Originally Posted by hahahaleig
i'm a beginner.
i was wondering, are biscuit starfish difficult to keep?

I would need a name or a picture to be sure of what you are talking about - common names are not as descriptive I am afraid.
But as a general rule, I would say that most seastars are difficult to keep.

jam1e

maybe you should add Snake Eels and the Yellow Brotula .. both are extremely hard to keep