List of fish/inverts that hobbiests should avoid

N

n_sarno

Great thread glad its archived.. This is a very good resource for newbies.. or really anyone to get more info.
I would def add the long tentical plate coral or Heliofungia to the list, they are kinda like a gonipora they look good for 6 months or so and then boom they die.. I figured i'd give one a try.. I just hit the 6 month mark and it croaked..

merredeth

Maybe we should add to the list to leave the sea apples to those that are very experienced in the hobby or if you MUST have one, make sure it has a dedicated tank.
I've had my Austrailian Sea Apple for seven months and have grabbed onto anything and everything to learn about them.
Pristine water conditions are necessary and one better make sure they don't have fish that bother with them or sucked into a powerhead or they will eviserate and can kill off an entire tank.
One should be feeding them phytoplankton (I alternate between DT's and Marine Snow) and will grab extremely small pieces of fresh fish food. Also, be prepared for them to move all over the tank because they can end up on corals and kill them, as when they are happy in a place they don't care what is there.
Beautiful specimens, but definitely for those that are experienced as their ability to kill off a tank will stress any newbie who just poured a pile of money into the hobby.
Denise M.

rykna

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
See, RO/DI water takes a lot of things out of the water that you do not want in there. It takes copper out of the water, metals, lead, things of that nature. That stuff is not found in high abundance in the ocean, like it is in tap water.
So if I do want to continue to use my tap water for my tanks. I should take my tap water and get it tested to see whats really in it. My tank is almost all soft coral-my tree sponge being the exception, that would probably explain why nobody has been complaining about the water quality and abundance of food.
I have read, and agree, that when forming a tank community it is best to choose from a certain region like indo pacific or the carribean, and also to keep similar type corals, such as in my tank I have 98% soft corals. Given that you will find exceptions. Is there any books out there that talk about tank community? Freshwater has been well versed on this subject, but I haven't found anything exception for the basic discriptions for basic care, placement, agression, and food needs.
Thanks for your input all!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can get an analysis directly from your water company. You can count on it being pretty much unsuitable for most reef setups. You can get a good RO/DI for under $200.
Hosting clowns have been known to kill off many a coral.

lion_crazz

thanks for the suggestion! I still have a few that I need to add onto the main list, but I will add yours when I do!

Chasmodes

Great thread Lion Crazz.
There are a few angels in addition to those in your first post that should be avoided by all but the most experienced aquarists or those that have established tanks. Most of these don't do well in captivity:
Dwarf Angels:

Bicolor angelfish (Centropyge bicolor)
Multibarred pygmy angelfish (Paracentropyge multifasciata)
Venustus angelfish (Paracentropyge venustus)
Peppermint angelfish (Paracentropyge boylei) - not to mention this one is out of most peoples price ranges and extremely rare
Large Angels
:

Six bar angelfish (Euxiphipops sextriatus)
For those that want more info on angelfish, Scott W. Michael's book highlighting the angels is an excellent source of info.
Also, not only should aquarists avoid cleaner wrasses but also they should avoid their mimics, the false cleaner (Aspidontus taeniatus) and similar sabertoothed blennies. These guys are hardy but will make life miserable for your favorite fish, causing not only undue stress on them but resulting in bites being taken from fleshy areas, fins, and scales of your fish too. A. taeniatus looks nearly identical to the cleaner wrasse (Lambroides dimidiatus) but the mouth is underneath on the mimic and on the wrasse the mouth is forward. To be safe and fair, avoid both of them. That said, not all fanged blennies are bad, but these guys are.
Another blenny to avoid, the leopard blenny (Exallias brevis) - this guy is an obligate acropora eater.
Again, great thread LC!

Chasmodes

Thanks LC. Also, I think that I read somewhere that soapfish (grouper cousins) give off toxic slime when harassed or dead kinda like boxfish and cowfish do...
What about dangerous fish to avoid? Like stonefish? Do those belong here too? Jeez, stonefish are boring and ugly, but why would anyone want a fish that could kill ya?

lion_crazz

Soapfish is another very good one that I did not think of (that is usually pretty commonly available).
The stonefish is another good fish to add since like you said, they are so dangerous. Funny story, one time, I was diving down in the Bahamas and I swam over to this rock pile-up to check out the fish living in it. Well, it was a bit hazy, so I was really looking closely. All of a sudden, I realize I am staring into the face of a large stonefish. Let me tell you, I don't think I ever swam faster. :scared:

clown boy

Funny story, one time, I was diving down in the Bahamas and I swam over to this rock pile-up to check out the fish living in it. Well, it was a bit hazy, so I was really looking closely. All of a sudden, I realize I am staring into the face of a large stonefish. Let me tell you, I don't think I ever swam faster. :scared:

:hilarious

Chasmodes

All of a sudden, I realize I am staring into the face of a large stonefish. Let me tell you, I don't think I ever swam faster. :scared:

I guess you could consider these guys true live rock!!!! :thinking:

Chasmodes

I'd like to add that some of these species listed should be left in their natural environment always, but others can be maintained if given the right conditions. That said, most reefers don't have the ability or wallet capacity to handle keeping such critters. The example about feeding obligate acropora eating fish acropora, the fish will do fine as long as you can maintain that even if fish begin or eat substitute foods, it's likely that the animals lifespan will be shortened by life in captivity. There are exceptions though, some people just have a knack for keeping even the most difficult species alive. The reputations that some fish have had for being difficult are changing for many species as the hobby, science and technology improve.

lion_crazz

Thank you Blennius for all of your contributions. They have all been added.
If anyone else has anything to add, please speak up! This is a list to help all hobbiest avoid buying animals that are doomed to live in captivity.

sharkboy13

like i sadi garden eels, not very hardy and need a DSB of atleast 6in which is rather hard to maintain for most hobbyists

mademeink

So I actually haven't started my tank yet... I'm in the process of research and saving money. However the fish that made me want to start a tank was the Panther Grouper. They had one at my local pet store; I'm glad I decided to research first instead of jumping right in like a usually do because I found out how big they actually get. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. This website and message board has been a huge asset.

darknes

Great post.
I think you should add the Long Tentacle Plate Coral to the list. They rarely last more than a year in home aquariums, and are very sensitive corals.