Luv-A-Bully March in S. FL Oct 28!

reefreak29

i have had shepards all my life , never bite anyone , the one i have now is best freinds with my 2 year old, a regular mother hen , the only problem is if we do get an intruder he will be licked to death

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by reefreak29
i have had shepards all my life , never bite anyone , the one i have now is best freinds with my 2 year old, a regular mother hen , the only problem is if we do get an intruder he will be licked to death
Thats how it is with most dogs! GSD's are in the same boat as all these other so called "aggressive dogs." Both of my parents grew up with shepherds, they are great dogs (but have a lot of fur!) but still provoke fear in a lot of people. My dogs would also lick an intruder to death! They would show them where mommy keeps her money & jewelry and get more upset when they left! My dogs love everyone, I raised them that way. They would never harm anyone. They may run up to someone, but only to say hello and give them kisses. They look big & mean, unfortunately, as Magnum's last owner(s) cropped his ears, and Maui is about 90 lbs, so many people are afraid of them based on looks alone. But once you meet them, the first thing they do is roll on their back for a belly rub and sit down and wait to be pet.

sugarfox03

Originally Posted by kimC
I've got to agree w/you!! We have a Staffordshire/red nose pit mix and he is a big baby.... We've been broken into 4 times in the past 6 years so his mean looks keep's strangers out of our fenced yard. We also have a old man Jack Russell (16 yrs) and he is so mean to Zeus and Zeus just takes Jack's growls and bites!! I'm about 2 hours from you... we will try to make the march!!!

Your boy is gorgeous! :) Looks big! I hope you can make it!

socalracer

this pisses me off so much i have a pit and he is the nicest dog i have ever had, bad owners who specifically train their dogs to fight and be aggressive is the cause of the evil pitbull rap. Their are way more agressive dogs towards people. I think smaller dogs like chihuahas are less predictable and more mean. and if anyone had last months maxim it had a couple pages on aggresive dogs stating the cons for pits were very energetic and a bad public opinion. It went on to say dalmations are one of the craziest and unpredictable dogs. sorry i just hear stupid comments about this all of the time. good luck with the march........o and remember petey from little rascals was a pit, thats crazy that they let that killer around all of those kids

v-lioness

My neighbor has a pitbull and it is a sweet dog, very friendly....... I can not comment to much, broke my shoulder and one handed, but reading this I see a few things, I can relate too.
Boxers, labs, bulldogs, and even boston terriers can resemble pit bulls in some way, and are often mistaken as such, so when these breeds bite, they are automatically labeled "pit bull".
I am a bull dog owner and they are constantly mistaken for pitbulls, I have heard them call pitbulls more over the years then I care to count.....lol
dogs arent born mean ,people make them mean end of subject
My dogs (sisters) are a good example, I just lost one of my bullies a month ago (congestive heart failure, she was 5), I had sisters from the same litter. Carma the one I lost was sweet as can be, loved kids and other dogs, but Knicky, she hates all kids and dogs.
These are sisters from the same litter, raised the same yet total opposite. Knicky, she is grouchy, and has bit kids, yet my 2 year old grandson she is good with, I will not allow her near other kids, she will fight other dogs, she is just cranky, give that girl a lazy boy and she is content.
Carma was great (she is dearly missed), and I could trust her with everything and everyone.
Kaye

67 demon

First off, i LOVE dogs!!! Second, I would LOVE to attend the march with you guys. Just one huge problem.... I'm in TX. My wife and i own the most wonderful dog in the world!! She is a 3 year old American Bulldog (part of the bully club). Please update us on how the march turns out.
As far as debating and trying to have others see our (bully owners) point of view, i wil already tell you that it is a moot point. So, i won't even attempt to state my case. Everyone has their opinions, and i respect that.
Before our newborn daughter (now 2 1/2 months old) was born, my wife and i would take my Bulldog to the local public "off-leash" dog park. It amazed me that everyone was so intrigued and astonished that my Bulldog was so well mannered and disciplined. What else did they expect?? My experience at this public park after going every week for about a year is that the MOST aggressive dogs were the Labrador's and Golden Retrievers. If there was a fight among the dogs, i would estimate that 90% of the time a Lab or Golden was involved. Since that particular assessment was true (because i witnessed it), do i feel that ALL Labs and Golden's should be banned or worse yet, euthanized? Not at all. You must try and treat each dog as an individual, and not necessarily judge them by their breed, or perceived breed for that matter (my baby gets mistaken for being a Pit Bull
). It's like humans. Some of us are inherently/unfortunately born with a few screws loose and do horiffic acts. Does that mean you should be wary of ALL human contact?? **May be a bad example, but i think you get the point**

cagrn

Just thought I would pitch in my 2 cents here. I have worked in Emergency Rooms for almost 7 yrs now. 6 of that was in a kids specialty hospital ER. I didn't write down and track numbers, but off the top of my head, more bites were from small to medium sized dogs than from pit bulls. Cockers, Lhasas, Grandma's Poodle mix, we saw them all - but not a predominance for Pits. One of the most surprising tales was that of a bite from a golden retriever. Who would have expected that?
German Shepherds are also high on the list within the big dog ranks. I'm only pointing that out, I love GSDs and would own one in a heartbeat if my yard was big enough and I had more time to get out with it.
I used to own a small dog called a Coton de Tulear ( in the bichon family ). I'm pretty sure it was a result of the breeder ( who doesn't breed them anymore ), but he was one of the meanest dogs I've ever known.
The problem of dog bites has a lot to do with the owners. When I walk my dacshunds, kids always want to say hi to them. When kids just run up and stick out hands or grab at them, any dog has the potential to react in unpredictable ways. I stop the kids and teach them to ask an owner if it is okay to pet their dog, and show them how to approach one properly. My dog's are on leash when walking outside of their own yard - which is also part of your responsibility. Anyone who owns a dog has RESPONSIBILITY. Maybe the focus should be more on the owner of the dogs who do bite, than on the dog.
Thats my 2 cents.
Good Luck with your walk!

nigerbang

I have a large male..Its prolly the most docile dog I have ever had..I had a problem with HIM getting attacked..I had a Pembroke Welsh Corgi that would attack him when ever he got the chance and Doom would just stand there looking at me like " Get him off please"...He is great with my 2 year old daughter..When it gets cold..he stays in the house and sleeps at the foot of my bed...The biggest sissy I have ever seen as far as dogs...Although he doesnt like my greyhound...never aggresive just dissmisive..If you kick a dog of any breed around and are just out right mean and dont feed...dont be shocked when they bite..

sugarfox03

Thanks everyone!! I am getting a really good response from people that want to come!! I'm getting excited! I just found out that my newest foster dog, Starvin' Marvin, is heartworm positive, so I am going to do a little fund raiser for him, as I am a little low on funds to get him treated. He's an american bulldog, about 2 years old, found half starved in the woods. He only weighed 54 lbs when he was found, he should weight between 90-100, if not more, he's tall!! He's an awesome guy, has the best personality. I love him to death. You can see him at my petfinder site (www.petfinder.com/shelters/FL527.html) If you guys pray, please say one for him. I've never had a heartworm pos. dog before, and I am really worried about him. The treatment is $600-800 :( Thaks again for all the good wishes, I will definately keep you all posted on both Marvin and the walk/march/demonstration!
-Melody
Hey, we finally made it to two pages!! :)

nigerbang

Originally Posted by SugarFox03
Thanks everyone!! I am getting a really good response from people that want to come!! I'm getting excited! I just found out that my newest foster dog, Starvin' Marvin, is heartworm positive, so I am going to do a little fund raiser for him, as I am a little low on funds to get him treated. He's an american bulldog, about 2 years old, found half starved in the woods. He only weighed 54 lbs when he was found, he should weight between 90-100, if not more, he's tall!! He's an awesome guy, has the best personality. I love him to death. You can see him at my petfinder site (www.petfinder.com/shelters/FL527.html) If you guys pray, please say one for him. I've never had a heartworm pos. dog before, and I am really worried about him. The treatment is $600-800 :( Thaks again for all the good wishes, I will definately keep you all posted on both Marvin and the walk/march/demonstration!
-Melody
Hey, we finally made it to two pages!! :)
My bully had heart worms once..The vet had to keep him for 3 days and give him a series of shots..(arsenic based) to kill they heart-worms...I had to try and keep him calm and relaxed for 2 days after he came home...Hard to keep a dog calm when seeing his owner for the 1st time in 3 days...G/L I didnt have to pay that much it was only like $350...Came through like a champ..

sugarfox03

WHOA...only $350?! Can I ship him up to you and have it done there? I was quoted $600-800 depending on how many x-rays he needs...Man, I hate vets.

nigerbang

X-rays??? Wow....Must be clogging the heart..They found the larve in his blood...Didnt have any x-rays done..Didnt need them I suppose

67 demon

Originally Posted by SugarFox03
WHOA...only $350?! Can I ship him up to you and have it done there? I was quoted $600-800 depending on how many x-rays he needs...Man, I hate vets.
Do you think pet insurance would be an option in the future?? I've thought about it, but haven't pulled the trigger (no pun intended). And a prayer will go out to one of our bretheren.

nigerbang

As far as Heartgard and things of that nature...the cost is what deters alot of ppl...I talked to my vet he said like that and Frontline thing like that the active ingredient is called Ivamectin and it is cheaper to get it at a feed store...Went and got a bottle of it...was like $60. Its for horses, but simple to figure the Weight/Dose ratio..$60...I have been using the same one for 2 years on 3 dogs...alot cheaper then vet meds....

alyssia

Originally Posted by socalracer
this pisses me off so much i have a pit and he is the nicest dog i have ever had, bad owners who specifically train their dogs to fight and be aggressive is the cause of the evil pitbull rap. Their are way more agressive dogs towards people. I think smaller dogs like chihuahas are less predictable and more mean. and if anyone had last months maxim it had a couple pages on aggresive dogs stating the cons for pits were very energetic and a bad public opinion. It went on to say dalmations are one of the craziest and unpredictable dogs. sorry i just hear stupid comments about this all of the time. good luck with the march........o and remember petey from little rascals was a pit, thats crazy that they let that killer around all of those kids

I agree w/you about chihuhuas (sp) however, when they bite they don't kill.

phixer

A killer Chihuahua :hilarious Those savage beasts.
He was mauled to death by a pack of mange ridden angry Chihuahuas, it is unclear but the leader of this ferocious gang of canines appears to be a long haired Dachsund named Dirty Harry.
:hilarious

alyssia

Originally Posted by Phixer
A killer Chihuahua :hilarious Those savage beasts.
He was mauled to death by a pack of mange ridden angry Chihuahuas, it is unclear but the leader of this ferocious gang of canines appears to be a long haired Dachsund named Dirty Harry.
:hilarious

:hilarious :hilarious :hilarious You're funny