Luvmyreef's 180g Diary

luvmyreef

I have never used one of those. Do they really work??? Glad someones chaeto is growing lol. I lost over half of the chaeto I bought. The die off has slowed, I think my light was burning it up....

S

siptang

They do work but they do take little bit of time to kick in.
It's funny because my chaeto is litterally 6-7 inches away from my light lol.

luvmyreef

Yeah, the chaeto that I had before grew like a weed. This new stuff I bought seems weak, turned white quick. But, I think it is getting used to the light. ;)

I'm having a terrible time with nitrates. Anytime I do a water change, they'll come down to about 40 ppm and 3 or 4 days later they shoot back up to 80 ppm or above.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent McCloskey http:///t/378946/luvmyreefs-180g-diary/1040#post_3501137
I'm having a terrible time with nitrates. Anytime I do a water change, they'll come down to about 40 ppm and 3 or 4 days later they shoot back up to 80 ppm or above.
There can be a variety of reasons for this. Often it's overfeeding but more common is that your tank just isn't getting rid of Nitrates.
Can we learn some more about your system? Maybe there's a simple fix.
Size
Livestock
filtration
feeding
live rock
sand bed
skimmer

luvmyreef

No, not really Sip. I suctioned all the small patches off the sand, and did another 2 days of lights out. I will probably spot treat two areas for at least a week, then we will see. It is doing a lot better with everything I have done. The one thing I noticed is that it is definitely affected by lighting! With the Anthias gone, that decreases my bio load, and I don't have to feed plankton anymore, guess that will help. Time for a big water change though, ugh!

luvmyreef

Sadly this tank is no more. I have no clue what caused that algae nor exactly what kind it was. A new 75g is in the works. I will start a thread about it later. :)

S

siptang

ohhhhh..... T_T
While I look forward to your new build... this is a crying shame...

I was in your shoes with algae destroying my investments.
I chose ZEOvit and it's truly a miracle. Only thing to keep my system pristine.
Hope you start it back up again soon.
Don't give up! :)