Luvmyreef's 180g Diary

S

smallreef

PSI for your RODI needs to be at 50 I believe.. and at 60-70 degrees for maximum output...with that being said that will not affect the TDI of the water coming out it just takes longer to produce...
you may need to check your DI resin and see if it is exhausted... that is what will give you nitrates...
and YES dwarf angels are EVIL! very territorial and mean to calmer fish.. go with a swallowtail, spotbreast, lamarcks, or bellus for best results... non-aggressive and non-coral nipping

novahobbies

What species Anthias? I have 2 Bartlett's and 1 Dispar in my 110, and they each of them occasionally hide. Not for any reason other than they just "feel like it," it seems.

luvmyreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallreef http:///t/378946/luvmyreefs-180g-diary/1020#post_3499591
PSI for your RODI needs to be at 50 I believe.. and at 60-70 degrees for maximum output...with that being said that will not affect the TDI of the water coming out it just takes longer to produce...
you may need to check your DI resin and see if it is exhausted... that is what will give you nitrates...
and YES dwarf angels are EVIL! very territorial and mean to calmer fish.. go with a swallowtail, spotbreast, lamarcks, or bellus for best results... non-aggressive and non-coral nipping
Thanks, I had just replaced all filters including the di and membrane. Yes, my little flame angel is starting to acquire very bad behavior. He already ate all my blue hornets too....
Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies
http:///t/378946/luvmyreefs-180g-diary/1020#post_3499601
What species Anthias? I have 2 Bartlett's and 1 Dispar in my 110, and they each of them occasionally hide. Not for any reason other than they just "feel like it," it seems.
I had three dispar. One disappeared a long time ago. One of the males I believe. They fought all the time. Now both of the remaining two won't come out even to feed...

luvmyreef

I made a brute container full of ro/di water and it reeked of chlorine!! I changed the carbon filter again, and it is better. I have already called the company and complained. I am worried that it will ruin my new membrane!! Geesh! Trying to explain it on the phone to someone who clearly doesn't know what she's talking about, was like pulling my teeth!!!

luvmyreef

My anthias still haven't come out of hiding. When the lights went out last night, the shrimp went to the rock and started going under it for some reason. Nitrates are back up to 20. I might have to take that rock out and search for dead fish today ;(

luvmyreef

Well, I removed the rock they always hid under, and they are not there. Nor did they come out to feed tonight again. So, I guess they are officially gone. They both had been doing fine, so I can't understand this unless it was indeed aggression from the flame angel......

meowzer

I'm so sorry, I have tried anthias a couple of times now and have had no luck.....lost (literally) some....some jumped.....IDK...one day I might try again, BUT they are not too cheap....LOL

luvmyreef

Thanks Meowzer. I was hoping they were just hiding for a little bit. But no.... I am gonna wait awhile, but I want to add a couple new fish in the future. I will wait and fix the algae first, then decide. I am not sure it will be anthias or not. They are so pretty and colorful though.....

novahobbies

Oh, I'm sorry.....geez, I hear this from a lot of people. I felt this way about my blue reef chromis; the one I had just up and disappeared one day...no body, no evidence, just...gone. It's such a frustrating feeling.

luvmyreef

Thanks Nova. Still no sign of them today either. But, I can say that the algae is so much better. I had to do a couple things, which I will not elaborate on, to the rocks, and I started trying the spot treatment in some areas, and I can safely say, I see a major improvement. The sand bed only looks like it is dusted in a few areas. I can't tell if its cyano or the old crap. I have been running the actinics only for about 4-6 hrs a day. Things are looking good for now. Changing out the sand was a good idea me thinks lol!!

S

siptang

Ok, I finally caught up!
Sorry to hear about your troubles Luv... I'm having alot of diatom issues too at the moment but not letting it bother me.. I'm thinking that it will go away eventually... cleaned my sump last week because it was having major cyano as well.
I wish you the best luv! You can and you will beat this thing!!!

luvmyreef

Well, I did 48hrs lights out, and the sand is looking a lot better. The places that were being spot treated on the rocks are clear for now. I also put a couple snails in the refugium, and they are eating all the algae and cyano off the walls. No more Dino's as far as I can tell! and what Is left looks like cyano that got introduced with the new chaeto. I have read that by adding good bacteria like microbe lift special blend to a tank fighting cyano, people have good results. the good bacteria beating out the bad so to speak. But, good news for this tank finally!!! :t^:

S

siptang

true... losing fish really sucks..
Glad to hear that all of the sands are looking better!!

luvmyreef

Thanks Sip. I am slowly building the light cycle back up. Did a 20% water change yesterday. Plan on one tomorrow too. Sand still looks good. Just gotta get this chaeto to grow, and I need to get my nitrates back down. They went back up to 20 ;(

S

siptang

I need to get my nitrates down too... this denitrate reactor is taking forever to kick in... Im considering changing them.
My chaeto is growing like a weed though..