Luvmyreef's 180g Diary

luvmyreef

Well, to update, I think I need to add even more cuc. Probably more hermits, and ceriths. Some of the snails I purchased are eating the algae off the rocks and glass, and are still alive after doing so. I have also taken some of the baby snails from the 10g and put them in this tank. I have to say, they are little pigs lol. Nitrates are holding at 10 right now. Time to do a 20% water change today. All corals doing well. Even the ones that had stn. Seems like the stn has stopped since parameters have been consistent.

novahobbies

I don't know if you get these, but if you see orange turbo snails, get them. They're smaller than regular turbos, don't grow as large over time, and BOY do that do a good job! I found a place that had them for $2 each, which was a steal compared to regular turbos down here.

luvmyreef

Hey guys. I actually have three of the chesnut turbos. (I know its not a lot, but I was just trying them) Someone recommended nerite snails (I dont like them because they lay little white eggs everywhere lol) and a bunch (like 100) of dwarf ceriths. Although, I found something interesting. I took two very small rocks out last night that had a lot of the orange algae film on them, placed them in a container with chemiclean and an airstone. Guess what? It actually helped although I saw several small spots of snotty dinos on it afterwards....SO....what to do??? Should I treat with chemiclean, and if this gets rid of the dark algae, treat the dinos after? Decisions, decisions.....

luvmyreef

Ok, so I should expect a diatom bloom from the new sand, yes? Well, the dark algae that was on the rocks and sand is worse today. It has slowly been getting worse, and now I have cyano in places. Thing is, if this is a diatom bloom, then it looks exactly like what was there before, just worse. I am hopeful that this is just diatoms and by removing the old sand (that had the dry marine sand in it) will eliminate them. I can not think of anything else that could be feeding them silicates... I am even replacing my membrane for my ro/di again tomorrow. I have decided to wait and see for now about the cyano. With everything I have been doing to this tank, cyano shouldn't be able to live long lol. Thoughts?

luvmyreef

Well, after work last night, I replaced my ro/di membrane with a hi-s kent membrane. Also, changed to hi-s mixed bed resin. I got home late, so I fed the fish, and really didn't get a chance to evaluate the algae situation. I am gonna make up a batch of water for a 10-20% water change and will probably suction out the algae the best I can.

luvmyreef

What do you all use to recalibrate your tds meters? Distilled water? I replaced all filters and my membrane, ran out 10g, and my tds meter still reads 0.01ppm. That has to be wrong. All filters and membrane are seated correctly......

luvmyreef

Well, I have filled a brute can full, and it still reads 001ppm. On the owners manual, it states you may have to recalibrate the tds meter from time to time. I have never had to do this, but every filter and the membrane is new.. So, I dunno. Gonna use the water for the water change today....

novahobbies

You can buy TDS Meter calibration solution from Amazon. It's cheap, free shipping for prime members, and should do the trick. Sorry I was going to respond with this yesterday....not ignoring you, just forgetful.

luvmyreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/378946/luvmyreefs-180g-diary/1000#post_3499418
You can buy TDS Meter calibration solution from Amazon. It's cheap, free shipping for prime members, and should do the trick. Sorry I was going to respond with this yesterday....not ignoring you, just forgetful.

That's ok. I called and found that out. The guy I talked to told me not to worry about that reading, but that is hard for me to do lol. But, I need to use the water for a water change anyways...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy
http:///t/378946/luvmyreefs-180g-diary/1000#post_3499420
Good luck!! I hope your algae issues come to an end soon.
Thanks Krista! Me too lol. I am gonna suction everything off today with the water change. I haven't seen anymore slime blobs, just the dark diatom and cyano algae...

luvmyreef

I did buy a gallon of distilled water, tested it just now with the tds meter, and it reads 0. So what could be my problem with the ro/di?

luvmyreef

Ok, lights just came on, and I think I have good news to report. the sand bed has patches of algae on it, but it looks like cyano now. Could it be that my diatom bloom is finally fading??? The rocks do not look as bad as they had the other day when I posted, they are better....... And I see no dino at the moment......

spanko

Cannot find it now and don't have time to look right now but isn't there something about the pressure that the water supply is giving to the RODI unit?

luvmyreef

Maybe, but I have adjusted it several times, from high to low, tested the water each time, and it still reads 0.01ppm.

luvmyreef

Well, this is weird. My Anthia's are hiding. I saw one come out last night when I fed, but it immediately went back under the rock. One of them had looked bad awhile back, but healed up nicely. Now they both are hiding. I have noticed that my flame angel has started to pick on my tail spot blenny, so I am wondering if he has started on them??