Luvmyreef's 180g Diary

S

siptang

I'm going to make a trap with a 2 liter coke bottle. Cut it in half and invert one end and make tiny holes on the sides to get the smell out to entice them and leave it over night to see if that will work.

luvmyreef

Goodluck Sip. Meanwhile, in algaeville, the whole sand bed has now been changed. Although, I doubt it will help lol. So, I have changed t5's, all ro/di filters tds reads 0, changed the sand, light schedule decreased, slacking on the feeding, and absolutely no feeding of corals, added some hermits, and some new chaeto, and have done very large frequent water changes. Now, we wait and see if it reappears everywhere...

luvmyreef

FTS just because you asked seth. It's still a little cloudy from the new sand, but here ya go.

Another fts, different angle:

Random shots:

S

siptang

And you wanted to take this thing of beauty down.... I need to send you to my doctor for an evaluation! lol.

snakeblitz33

So, where is the problem??? I dont see one. Are you sure that you have dino? Seems like a waste if you take everything down now. Beautiful tank.

luvmyreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/378946/luvmyreefs-180g-diary/960#post_3497549
And you wanted to take this thing of beauty down.... I need to send you to my doctor for an evaluation! lol.
Thank you. You can tell I have been all over this tank constantly. Do I need an evaluation? Probably. I am a nurse ya know, I have docs all around me at work....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33
http:///t/378946/luvmyreefs-180g-diary/960#post_3497550
So, where is the problem??? I dont see one. Are you sure that you have dino? Seems like a waste if you take everything down now. Beautiful tank.
The problem was the dark brown algae layer that was on the old sand, and is on some of the rocks. Now, I am waiting to see if it comes back, It already has a little bit in the back, coming off the bottom of the rocks... The other problem was snotty little blobs that I would constantly suction off the rocks before it got bad.... I just siphoned some yesterday. So, I am keeping up on it, but it is not eliminated. Hopefully with all the changes it will only help. But thank you, it has been hard work keeping it looking like this.

acrylic51

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyreef http:///t/378946/luvmyreefs-180g-diary/960#post_3497545
FTS just because you asked seth. It's still a little cloudy from the new sand, but here ya go.

Another fts, different angle:

Random shots:

Agree.....Tank looks very good......You and I need to chat!!!!! Have a couple questions for you during my observation.....Are you running some sort of HOB filter.....What type of skimmer....I see a PH, which makes me believe your using it to feed possibly a skimmer......Is the sand under your LR or is that just an illusion on my part......

acrylic51

Another observation question what type of flow do you have down low in the tank.......What are you using to "work" your sandbed......

luvmyreef

Yes, since this tank is not drilled, I have hob equipment. I know it looks bad!! Esp. to all you diy's out there..
I was afraid to have it drilled because I know very little when it comes to sumps. I have a koralia mag7 and three #4's. The mag 7 is on the right side front corner of the tank and pointed at the left rear corner. The water flows down and around to the front. This thing really moves the water lol. Two of the #4's are in each of the back lower corners, and the last #4 is in the center of the back facing the front. I would like to upgrade to the tunze or mp40's some time in the future. I have a hob cpr large refugium. My filter is the Fluval FX5, this thing is a brute!! Moves 900+ gallons an hour. the return keeps the surface water agitated nicely. I had removed all of the sand down to the bare bottom and under the rocks, and replaced it. All of the rock is (for the most part) is sitting on the glass with sand all around it, with the exception of the caves which do have sand in them. The coral has seen better days, but is starting to come back.

acrylic51

Was just curious....tank looks very good. What skimmer are you running? You seem on top of the game, but curious what your levels are?

luvmyreef

My levels? Well, temp-76-78, ph 8.3 day, 7.8 pm, amm-0, nitrite-0, nitrates 15-20, phos was 0 at last check. sg 1.026. Haven't checked calcium in awhile. My skimmer is the coralife hob rated for 220. I know, I know, but it does the job....

luvmyreef

Went ahead and tested this am. Calcium is 420, kh-11, nitrates-20. I am gonna do a large water change today. Need more cuc, so I may place an order.

luvmyreef

Well....I found another koralia #4 in my stash!! Or it's a #3.... Don't know how I missed it. I put it on the left in the front for flow straight across the sand in the front. So, that should cover any flow issues. ;)

luvmyreef

Oh, yeah! I had replaced it with a new #4 awhile back, and forgot about it!. I have boxes of stuff in the basement lol.

luvmyreef

Well, I didn't do the water change today, but I got 25g ready, and atleast 18 more currently mixing. I will do it tomorrow. I needed a day off lol. I noticed some of the algae creeping back to the sand bed around the bottom of the rocks in certain places. Basically it is doing this on the left side of the tank only,at the moment. This was the first section that I changed out. Wondering if I should leave it alone or suction it out. I will decide tomorrow with the water change I guess.

luvmyreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siptang http:///t/378946/luvmyreefs-180g-diary/960#post_3497764
Suction it out at the water change! You can do it!!! Good luck!
Yep, I am thinking that I should. BTW, I think I am starting to get OCD with this tank, trying to keep it algae free..... Put in new sand, just to siphon it out later lol. ugh!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy
http:///t/378946/luvmyreefs-180g-diary/960#post_3497766
Your tank is beautiful!!! What is your CUC?
Thank you Krista. My cuc consists of banded trochus snails, turbos, margaritas, nass, ceriths, and now 5 blue legged hermits, and a couple cleaner shrimp. Most of my snails have died off, so I need to replenish them and add a few more crabs, nass, and ceriths. Thinking of adding a fighting conch or two.....