Marijuana

jennythebugg

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
Other way around actually. His two daughters got him drunk...
i knew something happened because someone was drunk
the bible doesnt say anything bad about drinking but it does say that drunkenness(sp) is wrong

1journeyman

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
..the bible doesnt say anything bad about drinking but it does say that drunkenness(sp) is wrong
Yes and no.
The Bible does not specifically say not to drink. In fact, the first recorded miracle of Jesus was to turn water into wine at a wedding. Also, Paul tells Timothy to drink wine for his stomach condition (I Timothy 5:23).
Now, having said that; The Bible also teaches not to be a stumbling block.... In today's society, when we have access to completely safe drinking water, and when the addictiveness is well known of alcohol, a solid argument can be made that Christians should avoid drinking socially.

mie

If i remember correctly having one glass of wine a day is good for you. Can the same be said about weed? (excluding medicinal purposes)

itom37

Originally Posted by salty blues
Yet look at all the terrible problems with organized crime etc. during prohibition.
Right. It's generally a conclusion people are unwilling to accept, so they just abandon reason and go with what nancy told them: Just Say No

itom37

Originally Posted by Dlauber
and who has the right to say weather its right or wrong to smoke weed? To me there is 2 things that determine weather something is right or wrong. Does the bible/10 commandments say its wrong, and is it socially acceptable.
I may be wrong, but I dont think the bible says anything about drinking, or smoking. Smoking pot is not socially acceptable BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL, drinking (in moderation) is socially acceptable (by a majority of people, I known some would argue otherwise) because it is legal.
If smoking weed became legal I think it would become more socially acceptable by at least twice as much, and if that were the case, I would have no problem doing it.
I guess it depends on what you mean by socially acceptable... I'd like to think that socially acceptable means it's fine as long as it doesn't prevent others from doing their own thing. Most people's definition is considerably less permissive. If by socially acceptable you mean agreeable to the majority, then consider how limiting that is to your freedom. If I take it at face value, what you're saying is it is, on a moral or ethical level, wrong to wear white after labor day or wear black shoes with a brown belt. That example seems trivial, but it should point out how ridiculous the system by which you propose we divine our ethics is.

reefer545

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
See this is where you have it wrong, two puffs is more akin to two swallows of alcohol, not two drinks.
And as far as contact high, yes, with the limits of allowable blood content so low to be charged with dui, yes a "contact" high would show up. Also factor in some jobs do drug testing and ANY amount of drugs in your system is reason for termination. As I said I don't see any other reason to NOT legalize it personally, but as with tobacco smokers, pot smokers need to take into consideration of those around them more so than anyone else, as your "recreational habit" affects myself as well as you.
As for the contact high, I know this from experience. I have a friend who received a dui on his way home from a party. He didn't drink nor did he ever use drugs he was our sober cab . But a lot of people there were smoking weed. He got pulled over after taking us home and we had to go pick him up from jail in the morning. Don't tell me it can't and doesn't happen, because it DID!
And who is darkknight? Do I look like Batman to you?
and to call me uneducated on something is hilarious, if I don't know about something I won't talk about it. Trust me, I know more about drugs than you due to EXPERIENCE (1000 dollar a week drug habit at one point). That is not something I am proud of, but it has shown me the downside and upside to the argument first hand.
Excuse me Darth, I was speaking of AQUA KNIGHT, NOT DARK NIGHT. My mistake. How did your friend's dui end after court and all? Just curious.

reefer545

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
Dlauder, yes I drink beer/scotch/etc mostly for the taste and a great way to have a conversation, talk etc. The only ways I've seen weed used is to dumb yourself down or escape. I can't see how that would be enjoyable and that's why I'm looking for actual reasons people do weed. If getting high and watch Lord of the Rings is fun, then definitely count me out and you haven't convinced me to vote yes.
salty, I was responding to your question, but the 17 bit was for Kirsta, who at 17 admits to using weed daily and multiple times daily, probably wouldn't be allow to use weed anyway because she would be under the legal age I imagine.
It sounds like you need alcohol in one form or another to escape from yourself because you have found a "great way to have a conversation." You should be careful the words you use when talking of such a catch 22 argument. I am not trying to convince of anything more than to truly appreciate the use of ANY drug. Caffeine, Aspirin, Adirol, Nicotine, even --- releases endorphins and many are addicted to that too. As a matter of fact, all those I listed are far more addictive. It's very easy to point the finger at someone else and justify your own actions.

reefer545

Originally Posted by jennythebugg
true , didnt lot r-ape his daughter because he was drunk ?
Other way around pal. Sharpen those Bible skills. While the daughterS thought they had good reason to quaff thier father, thier ideas were wrong, but that is not the point.

reefer545

Originally Posted by mie
If i remember correctly having one glass of wine a day is good for you. Can the same be said about weed? (excluding medicinal purposes)
Isnt the glass of wine/day a medical purpose (heart health)? But to answer your question, in all actuality, yes. According to the AMA, to smoke a few hits every 1 to 3 weeks will open the blood vesicles in your brain, allowing more oxygen to flow therein. This has a number of positive effects.

reefer545

Please refer to my first post on the first page for a LITTLE education. Like someone else said, I could write a book about this. I am not trying to change anybody's mind. That is for them to make up for themselves, but AT LEAST BE EDUCATED BEFORE YOU DECIDE. EVEN A LITTLE.

itom37

Originally Posted by 1journeyman
And Drs. of the same time period prescribed arsenic and leeches... maybe Drs. of the 21st century need to "think outside the box" too

Maybe not so much the arsenic, but leeches are a very valuable medical tool these days. With the diabetes epidemic we got going here, I'd invest in leeches if you get the chance.

reefraff

I am all for legalizing it but to say it isn't dangerous like any other drug, well.... I guess you can chalk that up to the stoner mentality (and before you tokers flame me I consider a stoner as someone who's main purpose in life is to get loaded). It isn't perfectly safe and it isn't cool or smart to get loaded every day. Almost every heavy user I've ever known was paranoid and didn't have a whole lot of ambition. Just like a drunk or a lush it will effect your personality if you use it often enough over a period of time. But whats worse, and dangerous is the attitude that "I can handle it, I can __________ stoned just as good as I can straight". BS!!! I've been stoned and I've been drunk. Stoned isn't as bad but your still impared. Most people who have been drinking are at least careful about say getting behind the wheel. I can honestly say I have never met a person who toked it up and said "Hey, I need to come down a little before I drive". That is really the only negative I can see to legalizing it. Use will increase some but if you remove the criminal element it will be better for everyone involved.

reefraff

Originally Posted by REEFER545
Isnt the glass of wine/day a medical purpose (heart health)? But to answer your question, in all actuality, yes. According to the AMA, to smoke a few hits every 1 to 3 weeks will open the blood vesicles in your brain, allowing more oxygen to flow therein. This has a number of positive effects.

More blood flow, better brain activity. Darn, Should have been smoking when I was in school. I coulda been smart

Do you have a link to that study? it would be interesting to read. Thats one i hadn't heard before.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by REEFER545
Excuse me Darth, I was speaking of AQUA KNIGHT, NOT DARK NIGHT. My mistake. How did your friend's dui end after court and all? Just curious.
suspended license for 6 months and had to pay a decent fine and take some sort of drug classes. The judge was one of the harsh guys he could have got though. even the defense and witnesses that he smoked non didn't matter. The judge said he should have known he might get impaired and didn't act responsible.

digitydash

Boozer
Bad Liver when you drink alot.
Feel like crap the next and will have to drink more to get rid of hang over.
Daily binge drinkers can not go day without a drink cause their body will fall
apart from the withdraws.
Drinkers alot of time get violent AKA Liquid Courage I call it.
Drinker tend to drive over speed limit when intoxicated taking more risk.
Tears familys apart.
Tell you the same storys over,over and over again.
Tend to walk one step foward 2 steps back or to the side.
Pass out behind the wheel.
I personally can not stand drunks I don't care if you have a couple and know your limit but for the sloshs
.My thought on it they should make it illegal
Smokers
They do not like conflict when their high.
Can smoke all day if you wanted and go to bed and wake up the next morning like nothing happened the day befor.
If they do drive they tend to go slower then speed limit and don't take as many risk on the highway.
They love to eat a good meal
Can make medicine,cloths,rope and other stuff.

darthtang aw

Originally Posted by digitydash
Boozer
Bad Liver when you drink alot.
Feel like crap the next and will have to drink more to get rid of hang over.
Daily binge drinkers can not go day without a drink cause their body will fall
apart from the withdraws.
Drinkers alot of time get violent AKA Liquid Courage I call it.
Drinker tend to drive over speed limit when intoxicated taking more risk.
Tears familys apart.
Tell you the same storys over,over and over again.
Tend to walk one step foward 2 steps back or to the side.
Pass out behind the wheel.
I personally can not stand drunks I don't care if you have a couple and know your limit but for the sloshs
.My thought on it they should make it illegal
Smokers
They do not like conflict when their high.
Can smoke all day if you wanted and go to bed and wake up the next morning like nothing happened the day befor.
If they do drive they tend to go slower then speed limit and don't take as many risk on the highway.
They love to eat a good meal
Can make medicine,cloths,rope and other stuff.
You left out a lot of what can happen with Marijuana. I love when people do that just to support their belief.
Here are the rest. don't believe me check out marijuanapassion.com. It is a site built by marijuana supporters...yet they still warn of all this.
common side effects are as follows
Trouble remembering things
Sleepiness
Anxiety
Paranoia (feeling that people are “out to get you”)
Altered time perception
side effects to the body physically are as follows.
Tremors (shaking)
Nausea
Headache
Coordination becoming worse
Increased heart rate
Breathing problems
Increased appetite
Reduced blood flow to the brain
Changes in the reproductive organs
Altered pulmonary status
Altered body temperature
Reduced muscle strength
Also the number 1 reason I feel as many feel it is safer than smoking, read this bit of information.
Marijuana contains many chemicals that can hurt the lungs and cause cancer. One marijuana cigarette can cause more damage to the lungs than many tobacco cigarettes because marijuana has more tar in it and is usually smoked without filters.
as for myself, I have only had one hangover from alcohol in my life. I have also never called in to work because I was out drinking the night before.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by Dlauber
And what exactly are the positives of drinking beer? Dont you do it because its fun to enjoy the taste?
Why cant you sit down and enjoy weed like Alcohol? I quote 'the finest weed in the Shire!' sounds to me that good ole Bilbo was enjoying himself, chilling with Gandalf.
You do not have to be in a bad mood or depressed to smoke weed, and it doesnt have to be to enhance your life. My friends arent all emotional and smoke to escape problems. They smoke to enjoy themselves as you would sitting down and drinking imported beer or scotch. To them its fun to sit down for while and enjoy feeling happy.

dragonzim

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
You left out a lot of what can happen with Marijuana. I love when people do that just to support their belief.
Here are the rest. don't believe me check out marijuanapassion.com. It is a site built by marijuana supporters...yet they still warn of all this.
common side effects are as follows
Trouble remembering things
Sleepiness
Anxiety
Paranoia (feeling that people are “out to get you”)
Altered time perception
side effects to the body physically are as follows.
Tremors (shaking)
Nausea
Headache
Coordination becoming worse
Increased heart rate
Breathing problems
Increased appetite
Reduced blood flow to the brain
Changes in the reproductive organs
Altered pulmonary status
Altered body temperature
Reduced muscle strength
Also the number 1 reason I feel as many feel it is safer than smoking, read this bit of information.
Marijuana contains many chemicals that can hurt the lungs and cause cancer. One marijuana cigarette can cause more damage to the lungs than many tobacco cigarettes because marijuana has more tar in it and is usually smoked without filters.
as for myself, I have only had one hangover from alcohol in my life. I have also never called in to work because I was out drinking the night before.

Yeah. and how many of those negative side effects can be attributed to alchohol as well? I've been smoking pot regularly for about 16 years and have never, ever experienced any of those physical side effects from it. I've also never experienced any paranoia, altered time perception or anxiety from it either. Sure, its made me sleepy, but having a beer or 2 can do that as well.
This is pretty much one of those arguments like politics or religion where it seems that one side will never win over the other side. What it all really boils down to is that the governent really has no right whatsoever to tell me that I can't enjoy, in my own home, the effects of a plant that grows naturally all over the country.

itom37

Originally Posted by reefraff
So because some of the symptoms of heavy MJ use are the same as heavy drinking thast makes it OK

Well if you're alright with drinking, and the above is true, you're some sort of fool if you still say marijuana should be illegal and alcohol not... right? It makes people either a) accept the conclusions of their own argument or b) realize their logic is flawed.