My 120 Reef Diary

mech-a-nic

@ of my newer corals,
I got a Duncan, and a plate coral when LFS went out of buiness The duncan was almost dead doing great now. 5 new heads growing
the plate coral is a pig lol he loves mysis shrimp.

also one of my Galaxea that has spawned onto the next rock.

meowzer

Looks great
you need to siphon that icky cyano out from around the plate.....don't let any sand get on it either....they are really sensitive

mech-a-nic

I Finaly got my Auto Top-Off working

Got my new Filters for my RO/DI Unit,

Filters were old think thats where my icky cyano
was coming from
I will do a massive water change this weekend and suck that crap out too

mech-a-nic

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3232222
Looks great
you need to siphon that icky cyano out from around the plate.....don't let any sand get on it either....they are really sensitive
Ok all cleaned up

Changed out 20 gallons and vacumed out the icky cyano
and everyone is happy

mech-a-nic

I am looking for a fish to replace my one that passed on. I was thinking of a Flame angel maby? Any Ideas are welcome

mech-a-nic

My newest addition

Going to try a clam ......Again.....

Also It has be recomend I have 3 or more Chromis I only have 1 right now. Should I add 2 more?
Let me know.

meowzer

Very nice addition, and about the chromis....3 or 5 or 7...LOL...go with an odd number
BTW I have 2 LOL Only cause my KILLER damsels killed the others though

mech-a-nic

Well my clowns layed eggs.
they are on an easy to remove rock. How long till I should pull them out If I want them to live?

D

donnie69

Cool! You got a pic???
Here is something that might help you,
Getting the fry to raise.
Chances are very good that your pair did not lay their nest on an easily removable and replaceable item in your tank. This is one of the reasons to let the first couple of batches go. If at all possible you want to get your pair to lay their nest on a removable and replaceable item. Many breeders use either a small ceramic tile (6" x 6" is ideal for most species, but maybe too small for some larger species) or a terracotta flower pot. It is important to have several tiles or pots that are as close to identical as you can get. If this is the situation you are in, try placing a tile or pot over the place that the pair laid their nest the day after the eggs hatch. With any luck the pair will accept the new spawning substrate and you will be set for future nests. It should be noted that there is a possibility that you will disrupt the pair and they may stop spawning either temporarily or permanently.
If the nest site that your pair has chosen is not easily covered by a removable substrate, try placing the tile or pot a few inches from the existing nesting site. They may just decide they like it better and switch.
Removable substrate
If you have established a removable and replaceable spawning substrate, you have just made your life and the life of the larva much easier! Simply remove the tile/pot the day that the eggs are scheduled to hatch. Place it in the prepared rearing tank and place your air stone(s) to aerate the eggs. Place the stone so that all of the eggs are gently waving in the current created by the bubbles. If you are unsure of the volume of air to use, error on the too much side. Keep the other air stone in the tank low, you do not want the newly hatched larva to be blown around the tank when they hatch. The general rule of thumb is to have enough current that keeps the water moving, but allows the larva to swim where they want to.
In tank hatches
If you have not established your pair on a removable nest site or can not convert them, you will have to go fishing. Clownfish larva are attracted to moderate light sources, but are repelled from strong lighting. You can use a dim flash light to attract the larva to it and then use a cup or small bowl to scoop the larva out and into the rearing tank. You do not want to use a nest, you will damage the very fragile larva. With that said, be gentle with your scooping too. There is a good section in Joyce Wilkerson's book on methods for collecting larva from the brood stock tank.
http://knol.google.com/k/my-clownfis...eggs-now-what#
Hope this helps!

D

donnie69

Cool!
So, How long have they been there?
What are you going to do??
Pic's, Pic's, Pic's!!

i<3reefs

Don't be surprised if your Chromis start picking on the smallest one. I had 3 and they beat up on one regularly, but they never killed him, 40 degree water took care of that. Did you make your automatic top-off unit? I have to figure out how to do that as my next project.