My 29 BioCube UPDATED PICS

motorcity

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Thanks... unfortunatly one passed away on me.. I am having a battle with ICH right now and my hospital tank was set up rather quickly I had no choice as I didnt anticipate this issue. So, after dismanteling my DT to get the royal gramma and the purple fire fish out I put every one in my QT tank and one of the Perc's that seemed to be the worst of them all didnt make it through the hypo treatment. Everyone else looks good thus far but daily water changes with 4 fish in a 10 gal tank and constant maintenance is a must. Its gonna be a long road...
PerfectDark,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, poor little guy. I hope you make it through your battle with ICH with no further losses. You have given me alot of good advice while getting my 1st tank up and running and pictures of your tank have been a great inspiration. I thought I would share a pic of my tank now that I finally have gotten through the cycle, stocked and starting to add a few soft corals. (Still learning to use the camera)

perfectdark

MotorCity said:
PerfectDark,
I'm sorry to hear about your loss, poor little guy. I hope you make it through your battle with ICH with no further losses. You have given me alot of good advice while getting my 1st tank up and running and pictures of your tank have been a great inspiration. I thought I would share a pic of my tank now that I finally have gotten through the cycle, stocked and starting to add a few soft corals. (Still learning to use the camera)/QUOTE]
Hey buddy thanks for your concern. And I am glad I could help out a little. I too am new to this but I enjoy reading researching and experimenting. LOL.
Very cool start to your cube... I like the aquascaping. You should start a thread showing your progress with pics. If you do let me know so I can check it out. Looking good keep it up..

peef

So, PD
After many days of looking at the way your, and others to remain unnamed (DEMARTINI), tanks I decided the clump in the middle of my tank was wasting lots of room in there so I redid the aquascape. Check it out and let me know what you think. And whew there was alot of room in there I didn't know I had.

Sorry to hear about your little clown also....too bad.

perfectdark

Well while I am waiting for my fish to come out of QT I decided to aquascape my DT after dismantling it to get every one out. Its been almost 2 weeks now and everything seems to be almost acclimated to the new set up.
I was bored last night so I snapped some pics of my coral and invert tank...as it stands now.

2 months and my Super Green shrooms fragged 5 times the original one is the large one shriveled and neon looking the rest are its frags.

Got this an another piece same size for $5.00 candy cane coral.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
Great progress P.D.!

Thanks Bone... havent seen you here in a while how is the 90 comming along? Any pics yet=?

perfectdark

Thanks.. I actually did some flow adjustments the other night and adapted another power head I had to a lock line piece. I fitted it behind my LR and it runs back there perfectly. My next objective is to get a splitter for it run the lock line in both directions and plugging the ends. Then drill holes in the line the entire way down it spacing them evenly. My intention is to get even flow behind my LR with out creating a hurricane. Well see how it works.. I will post pics when its done.

paintballer768

Hey PD, I have my own thread now and in there is my situation currently. Its too much to copy and I dont want to jack this, just a quick question. You said you used BioSpira. I looked it up and it seems pretty cool. Do you think my tank would benefit from its use? Thanks
Love your tank man!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by paintballer768
Hey PD, I have my own thread now and in there is my situation currently. Its too much to copy and I dont want to jack this, just a quick question. You said you used BioSpira. I looked it up and it seems pretty cool. Do you think my tank would benefit from its use? Thanks
Love your tank man!

I will go check out your thread... thanks for the comment.
Hind site being 20/20 I would have to say no. Ask me 7 months ago and I would of said absolutly. Fact: does it work? Does it place beinficial bacteria in your tank within 24 hours of adding it? YES, it certainly does. Having said that, you need to add live stock to your tank within the 24 hour period to keep that life cycle going. The purpose of using BioSpira is so impatient people can add fish to their tanks within a day. Other wise its no more effective than adding a shrimp tail to your tank, and cycling for 2 weeks. If you do use the bio spira you will still see some amonia spikes here and there. Not huge ones but they will show up on a test. That in itself is harmful to fish. Now that I have said all that, I used biospira to cycle my tank, it worked for me and the 1st fish I added was my royal gramma and she is still alive to this day. So, like I said does it work? Yes it does. Is it unessessary and stressful to your first fish? IMO Yes it is and ultimatley waiting pays off. But thats MO and if I had to do it over again I would wait and cycle the tank naturally.

sambasam

Originally Posted by paintballer768
Ok thanks, sounds like waiting is always the best solution.
yeah my dad used it on his tank, it works but his fish died about a week after adding the stuff. i think an ammonia spike might have killed his clown

bonebrake

My 90 gal. is cycling as I type this! I got a Wave2K wavemaker (It actually makes waves!) pushing about 4000 GPH in the display and a 100 gal. sump in the basement with (2) 300 watt halogen lamps growing chaetomorpha and some other macroalgae on a reverse photoperiod. My baserock had a lot of dead stuff on it so it could be a long cycle; we will see. My last reading was three days ago and ammonia was 1.0 ppm, nitrite was >1.0 ppm, and nitrates were 10.0 ppm. I ordered my lights last night: 48" (2) 250 watt 15,000 K metal halide HQI DE with (4) 65 watt power compact fluorescent true actinic 03.
I am so excited I can hardly stand myself!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
My 90 gal. is cycling as I type this! I got a Wave2K wavemaker (It actually makes waves!) pushing about 4000 GPH in the display and a 100 gal. sump in the basement with (2) 300 watt halogen lamps growing chaetomorpha and some other macroalgae on a reverse photoperiod. My baserock had a lot of dead stuff on it so it could be a long cycle; we will see. My last reading was three days ago and ammonia was 1.0 ppm, nitrite was >1.0 ppm, and nitrates were 10.0 ppm. I ordered my lights last night: 48" (2) 250 watt 15,000 K metal halide HQI DE with (4) 65 watt power compact fluorescent true actinic 03.
I am so excited I can hardly stand myself!

Awsome... I am truly jealous... LOL. Cant wait to see pics.

perfectdark

Alright well the latest developments are not too good. From what I can conclude based on my limited experience, most of my casualties in my QT were do to lack of oxygen. The mystery to me now is I have had my Royal Gramma since my tank has been set up. In fact I used it as part of the cycling process of the tank (yea we all make mistakes at first) for almost 8 months it has been healthy and doing well. I moved all my live stock to my QT tank after an outbreak of ich was found on a new fish. QT was set up in a hurry, water and LR was taken from my DT so cycling was not an issue. For the reason stated above all my fish except the RG died. I put a power head in the tank and all has been well since. I had 2 more weeks to go before it was in hypo for 8 weeks. All of a sudden without warning I come home to see the RG had passed. The night before she ate looked as healthy as she always had. Nothing unusual, there are no other fish in the tank either. Maintenance was every other day water changes of 1 gal when i had 4 fish in there. Then when the RG was alone I did water changes every 3 days. I used quick fix once and did a 40% change as directed, that was 3 weeks ago. I am at a loss to me it doesnt make sense, but I did everything I could.