My 29 BioCube UPDATED PICS

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Bonebrake
PD your tank is really looking great!
Nice work for four months buddy!

Thanks man...you helped me alot.. especially with all of that reading material.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by SigmaChris
Hey PD,
Nice tank...is that stock lighting or did you upgrade?
Thx,
Chris
THX Sigma,
Its stock lighting, 4 months old and in 2 more months I am going to change them. I was just going to take the old ones out and replace them with new. But there is a site that has all upgrades for these cubes and they have a PC light upgrade to go from the 72 watts thats stock to 108. If im going to spend $30 a piece on replacement bulbs i might as well spend the extra 40 and upgrade the whole thing. They give you pretty much everything your gonna need. There are choices to make reguarding fans and lunar lighting. I just want more wattage and the price is more reasonable than going to HQI's on the cube.

R

reefernana

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
THX Sigma,
Its stock lighting, 4 months old and in 2 more months I am going to change them. I was just going to take the old ones out and replace them with new. But there is a site that has all upgrades for these cubes and they have a PC light upgrade to go from the 72 watts thats stock to 108. If im going to spend $30 a piece on replacement bulbs i might as well spend the extra 40 and upgrade the whole thing. They give you pretty much everything your gonna need. There are choices to make reguarding fans and lunar lighting. I just want more wattage and the price is more reasonable than going to HQI's on the cube.
Hey, Perfect, can you pm me that site, please? When I have to buy new lights that's what I want to do, too, thanks!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by reefernana
Hey, Perfect, can you pm me that site, please? When I have to buy new lights that's what I want to do, too, thanks!
PM Sent....

gmwilk

perfectdark or anyone....im thinking about getting a flame scallop, i see that they say they are difficult on swf.com i also have the 29 bio cube and i was wondering what you thought of them...and what makes them difficult etc...thanks

perfectdark

Originally Posted by gmwilk
perfectdark or anyone....im thinking about getting a flame scallop, i see that they say they are difficult on swf.com i also have the 29 bio cube and i was wondering what you thought of them...and what makes them difficult etc...thanks

The only thing I can see that makes them a tad difficult is that you need to direct feed them. Phyto plankton in a turkey baster or I use a Sea Squirt. The issue is not as much feeding as it is finding them. Scallops are quite mobile at times and can move very quickly. When mine deceided to hide out behind my LR it was difficult to feed. The Sea Squirt was a life saver, (his, literally)... Other than that they are pretty easy and the Electric Flame Scallops look really cool. Good Luck...

clay12340

They are great looking animals, but I think the issue is that they are difficult to feed and very picky about what they eat. Most people have difficulty keeping them long term.
Even with direct feedings it is possible that the scallop is not getting enough of the right particle sizes or right types of particles. If that is the case it could still slowly starve. I'm not sure if they show any signs of being underfed or give any warning. There external anatomy is pretty simple and doesn't give a lot of clues.
Some tanks may provide what they need and some may not. It is sort of a gamble. I've always avoided them, but they are quite beautiful.

dksart

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
The only thing I can see that makes them a tad difficult is that you need to direct feed them. Phyto plankton in a turkey baster or I use a Sea Squirt. The issue is not as much feeding as it is finding them. Scallops are quite mobile at times and can move very quickly. When mine deceided to hide out behind my LR it was difficult to feed. The Sea Squirt was a life saver, (his, literally)... Other than that they are pretty easy and the Electric Flame Scallops look really cool. Good Luck...

What is a Sea Squirt, and where can I get one? I've been looking for a long hypodermic or something to feed my coral.

perfectdark

dksart said:
What is a Sea Squirt, and where can I get one? I've been looking for a long hypodermic or something to feed my coral.[/QUOTE
They are by Kent Marine, and they are called the "SeaSquirt" you can find them on the ever so popular auction site..

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
Hey PerfectDark when do you day time lights and your blue actinic lights chern on?

LOL, I dont really know what a sea squirt is growing in your tank...
As for my lights the actentic PC come on 1 hour before the day time pc's do. then the day time pc's click on and run for 10 hours and then they turn off, 1 hour after that the acentic pc's shut off.