My 29 BioCube UPDATED PICS

motorcity

PerfectDark -
I have one more question for you RE: pumps if you dont mind. Do you leave all of your pumps or powerheads running 24/7 or do you have them on some schedule?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by MotorCity
PerfectDark -
I have one more question for you RE: pumps if you dont mind. Do you leave all of your pumps or powerheads running 24/7 or do you have them on some schedule?

No all of them are on all the time 24/7, remember flow is one of the most important things you can have in these tanks, especially reef tanks.
And dont worry about the questions i will try to answer any that I can Good luck..

perfectdark

Originally Posted by drewdog82
Not sure if someone asked this, but what kind of sea star do you have?
Hi drewdog,
I have 2 in there, the common names are a red brittle star (Ophioderma sp.) This is a very active species and has a very serpent like appearance to it. It moves very quickly and looks really really cool. The downside is that it grows at an exceptional rate, it has nearly tripled in size since I purchased it. Its max size can get over 12" so I know I will be donating it to the FS soon. I would say mine spans a good 7" from tip to tip. It fit in the palm of my hand when I bought it. Its diet requires more of a meaty food rather than algea.
The other one I have is called A Red Sea Star (Fromia milleporella) I have been told that these guys get huge too. But from what I have read max 5" in a tank. He is still quite small and doesnt grow nearly as fast as the brittle star does. Although he wont turn down a piece of clam or squid, hes quite content parousing around the tank and eating algea. Both have been in my tank for almost 4 months... Hope this helps.

drewdog82

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Hi drewdog,
I have 2 in there, the common names are a red brittle star (Ophioderma sp.) This is a very active species and has a very serpent like appearance to it. It moves very quickly and looks really really cool. The downside is that it grows at an exceptional rate, it has nearly tripled in size since I purchased it. Its max size can get over 12" so I know I will be donating it to the FS soon. I would say mine spans a good 7" from tip to tip. It fit in the palm of my hand when I bought it. Its diet requires more of a meaty food rather than algea.
The other one I have is called A Red Sea Star (Fromia milleporella) I have been told that these guys get huge too. But from what I have read max 5" in a tank. He is still quite small and doesnt grow nearly as fast as the brittle star does. Although he wont turn down a piece of clam or squid, hes quite content parousing around the tank and eating algea. Both have been in my tank for almost 4 months... Hope this helps.
I wasn't aware that you could get a fromia to eat squid and meaty stuff. I have been told by many that my 55 couldn't support a fromia or linckia, which is the reason I didn't get one. I actually ended up buying a fancy red sea star and throwing him in my sump, because he isn't supposed to be reef safe. I may try a fromia in my 55.....is he visible for most of the day???

perfectdark

I wasn't aware that you could get a fromia to eat squid and meaty stuff. I have been told by many that my 55 couldn't support a fromia or linckia, which is the reason I didn't get one. I actually ended up buying a fancy red sea star and throwing him in my sump, because he isn't supposed to be reef safe. I may try a fromia in my 55.....is he visible for most of the day???
Oh god yea, hes always around, I actually have never seen him hide. Let me just say this, I havent watched long enough to see if he consumes what I feed him but he def accepts it. I dont feed him often, he seems content on algea, but hes healthy and happy. They do not get as big as a linka, I dont know if thats a common misunderstanding or not but the Linckia sea stars can get up to 12". The fromia max size is about 5". Good luck.

drewdog82

Oh god yea, hes always around, I actually have never seen him hide. Let me just say this, I havent watched long enough to see if he consumes what I feed him but he def accepts it. I dont feed him often, he seems content on algea, but hes healthy and happy. They do not get as big as a linka, I dont know if thats a common misunderstanding or not but the Linckia sea stars can get up to 12". The fromia max size is about 5". Good luck.
Thanks, is yours the all red or the red marble one?
Also, when you say not often, how often do you give it squidd?

perfectdark

Thanks, is yours the all red or the red marble one?
Also, when you say not often, how often do you give it squidd?

Mine is all red on top and almost flourscent orange as it goes underneath. When I say not often, I have prob fed it, 4 to 5 times since ive had it. If hes there and its easy I will tuck it under it. If it likes it and eats it fine if not then something else will. I dont go and try to get something to it if hes in a weird place. Theres a pic of him on here.. actually page 3 has one and its a close up.

drewdog82

Mine is all red on top and almost flourscent orange as it goes underneath. When I say not often, I have prob fed it, 4 to 5 times since ive had it. If hes there and its easy I will tuck it under it. If it likes it and eats it fine if not then something else will. I dont go and try to get something to it if hes in a weird place. Theres a pic of him on here.. actually page 3 has one and its a close up.
Thanks so much, I just had one more question because I'm starting up a 30, what type and amount of lighting do you have?

perfectdark

I have the std PC's that the BioCube comes with. 36W 10,000k daylight and 36W acentic. Its good practice to change your bulbs out every 6 months even though they may not show signs of wear they can lost their effectivness. When that happens I am going to upgrade them, theres a place that sells the upgrade kit for the cubes and nanos to 105W and even 130 or 150 im not sure now. But its all inclusive new better fans heat shields and bulbs. And you cant beat the price, its more than changing your bulbs alone but not alot more.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by bjoe23
wats that fish weres it purple in front and yellowin back?
Scroll up man, I replied to your first question... Its called a Royal Gramma.

bjoe23

Scroll up man, I replied to your first question... Its called a Royal Gramma.
Sorry!

but thanks!

perfectdark

Yea, I got it from one of my LFS. They specialize in installation of higer end SW tanks so they have alot more in the line of equipment and supplies than your normal FS.

R

rattler739

When you split the return from your pump did that cut down on the flow, and did you end up upgrading the pump?
I ordered the Y piece to split my return and was thinkin about gettin a new pump. I have a 135gph pump and a 125gph PH but want to replace the 135gph for a 225gph or higher, what would you suggest?
Just wanted your opinion.

perfectdark

Hi rattler,
I used the stock pump in the beginning but I quickly noticed it cut the flow down alot. I upgraded to a RIO1100, it was a tough decision which one to go with, along with increasing flow i was faced with getting a pump to fit in the chamber, increasing the diameter of the return tubing to the outlet on the tank, and wondering if the pump was going to generate too much heat for the tank. So far it seems to be working very well. The RIO1100 has a GPH rating of like 350. Hope this helps..