My 29 BioCube UPDATED PICS

B

brstwv

Hey PD can you PM me the link for the lighting upgrade. Much appreciated beautiful tank. Mine is getting there.

clay12340

Sea squirts arn't a problem if they are growing in your tank. It is just another name for tunicates. They are usually considered an indication of a healthy tank and good water quality.

Kent marine just used the name for their version of a really long and skinny turkey baster. For a much cheaper alternative get a piece of stiff airline tubing sometimes called a feeding tube at a pet store for about $1.50 and a cheap syringe from the Wal-Mart

[hr]
department for about $2. Put the two together and you've got a cheap target feeding tool.

azreefgirl

Your tank looks great! Very colorful! I remember when it was just a baby and had nothing but LR and sand in it
It certainly has come a long way since then

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
ok, but what time dos your actinic turn on? and what time dos the day light turn on?

Well because I work from morning to evening I like my lights to turn on when I am home. So, at 2:30 pm my acentics turn on and at 3:30 the 10,000k daylights turn on. Then at 11:30pm the daylights turn off and about an hour later the acentics turn off. Hope that helps.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by AZReefGirl
Your tank looks great! Very colorful! I remember when it was just a baby and had nothing but LR and sand in it
It certainly has come a long way since then

Thanks AZ, looking back it has come along way in a short time... I am glad that what I have done so far is still living.. LOL. Being new to this I never really feel that you can read and research enough but my ultimate goal is achieving what you have. A 125 gal salt water tank like yours. Your set up is sweet... and its really cool to see the set up proceedure and being able to follow your progress on your post. There is soo much information you can get by reading other peoples posts. Thanks again..

bill109

perfectdark,
is tht a midas blenny?
or a yellow coris wrasse?
it in the full tank shot and is the long orange and yellow fish.
thnx
-bill109

bill109

one more thing.
hows the starfish doing.?
i don no much about starfish but dnt they need alot of lr?
i want one for my 90 but didnt ink i have enough lr. i have about 40-50 lbs

perfectdark

Originally Posted by bill109
one more thing.
hows the starfish doing.?
i don no much about starfish but dnt they need alot of lr?
i want one for my 90 but didnt ink i have enough lr. i have about 40-50 lbs
Hi Bill,
First off yes the yellow fish in my tank is a Midas Blenny. Secondly, my 2 starfish are doing fine in my tank thus far. I have 2, a red sea star and a red brittle star. The Brittle star is getting big and i am considering giving it back to the FS. But the red sea star is awesome loves the tank always moving around and cleaning everything. Contrary to what I have heard they arent as difficult to keep. I feed the brittle star meaty foods now and then but the other just sucks up the algea in the tank. I find that red star fish everywhere, on the LR on the glass on the power heads all over. Its not very big and IMO a 90 gal with the amount of LR you have, should be just fine. Hope that helps.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by brstwv
Hey PD can you PM me the link for the lighting upgrade. Much appreciated beautiful tank. Mine is getting there.
Thanks brstwv,
PM Sent...good luck.

greenreefer

In your 3 month old full tank pic it looks like you had an anemone in the center on the bottom and a flame scallop under a ledge in the rock up by the glass. I noticed that in the 4 month old full tank pic that I don't see the anemone any more and the rock with the ledge no longer provides cover for the scallop. Do you mind saying what kind of anemone that was, when you got it, and what happened to it? Also do you mind commenting on how the scallop is doing and why it's hiding spot is gone. I have a similar setup and would like to add both to my setup at some point, but I'd like to know how other are going with them, when they were addded, and what variations they have.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
In your 3 month old full tank pic it looks like you had an anemone in the center on the bottom and a flame scallop under a ledge in the rock up by the glass. I noticed that in the 4 month old full tank pic that I don't see the anemone any more and the rock with the ledge no longer provides cover for the scallop. Do you mind saying what kind of anemone that was, when you got it, and what happened to it? Also do you mind commenting on how the scallop is doing and why it's hiding spot is gone. I have a similar setup and would like to add both to my setup at some point, but I'd like to know how other are going with them, when they were addded, and what variations they have.
Hi GreenReefer,
First let me touch on the anenome, it was (notice past tense) a Florida Condy. I have had 2 in the 4 almost 5 short months that I have had my tank. The first was huge wayyy too big for my tank, it did very well and pretty much found its home where the one you mentioned is sitting. I traded him in for a smaller one that you see in the pic. After alot of research and reading I realized that it prob wasnt the best choice for a small tank like mine. Cony's IMO are much more aggressive than other types of anenomes, their tenticles are very very long and the smallest ones can look huge when they are inflated and stretched out. I had one of my clowns become a tasty meal for it and that was the straw that broke the camels back, I traded it in again. Pros and cons although they are more aggressive they are easy to keep alive. I now have a pink bubble tip anenome and it is much nicer in the tank. Although it can stretch its tenticles out, it pretty much keeps to its self stays put and is happy. I have had this one for about 3 weeks now.
The scallop is an Electric flame scallop, its hiding place is still there if it wants it. Problem is scallops move all over the place and very quickly too. They open their shell and slam it shut repeatedly to swim to where it wants to be. Usually stirring up all sorts of stuff in the tank and residing somewhere else. The issue with these guys is you need to feed them directly and if they find a spot behind your LR it becomes a task to get food to them. And they need to be fed often, like every 2 to 3 days. In the 4 month tank pics hes was just pulled out from behind the LR. Hope this helps... Good luck

azkid

Sweet Tank PerfectDark...Beautiful actually.
I have one indentical, although only 2mos old...I'm going at it slowly and patiently. So far I've got 2 FalsePercs, and 4 Hermits Crabs and 15lbs of Fiji LR. I have a question you might be able to answer... Will my existing Ocellaris Clowns get along if I get 2 Black&White Perculas? I think having
these two type would make my tank rather unique. I just wanted to get an opinion, all my research lead to yes.
And the coolest thing is I have my juvenile clowns eating from directly my hands or fingertips they aren't afraid or timid, It's awesome.
Thank you!

motorcity

PerfectDark - great looking tank!
I have a question for you. I am currently setting up my first tank and it is a 29 gallon biocube. Looking at the pictures of your tank, it appears that you have a hydor flow hooked directly to a submersible pump inside of the display tank, is that correct? Would you mind sharing the details of the pump you are using? What about the stock pump, are you still using it or did you replace with something else?
My plan was to replace the stock pump with a rio 6hf and connect it to a hydorflo but I may have to rethink my strategy after looking at your tank!
Thank you.

greenreefer

In your 4 month old full tank pic it looks like your hammer coral and your carnation are fairly close. Has that continued to work or have you had to move one of them. I've never kept a LPS that they say "has long sweeper tenacles and needs lots of room". Eventually I'd like frogspawn and a hammer, but I'd like to get the spacing figured out. thanks

perfectdark

Originally Posted by AzKid
Sweet Tank PerfectDark...Beautiful actually.
I have one indentical, although only 2mos old...I'm going at it slowly and patiently. So far I've got 2 FalsePercs, and 4 Hermits Crabs and 15lbs of Fiji LR. I have a question you might be able to answer... Will my existing Ocellaris Clowns get along if I get 2 Black&White Perculas? I think having
these two type would make my tank rather unique. I just wanted to get an opinion, all my research lead to yes.
And the coolest thing is I have my juvenile clowns eating from directly my hands or fingertips they aren't afraid or timid, It's awesome.
Thank you!
Thank you AZkid,
From what i have researched NO you cannot mix ocellaris with Perculas. Even if you paired them up, meaning 2 falses and 2 percs. But you most certainly get 2 B&W ocellaris to accompany your falses. Although even mixing these types you stand the chance of a territorial dispute, but IMO your chances of success are better with keeping percs with percs and ocellaris with ocellaris. Good luck.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by MotorCity
PerfectDark - great looking tank!
I have a question for you. I am currently setting up my first tank and it is a 29 gallon biocube. Looking at the pictures of your tank, it appears that you have a hydor flow hooked directly to a submersible pump inside of the display tank, is that correct? Would you mind sharing the details of the pump you are using? What about the stock pump, are you still using it or did you replace with something else?
My plan was to replace the stock pump with a rio 6hf and connect it to a hydorflo but I may have to rethink my strategy after looking at your tank!
Thank you.
MotorCity,
I have found that you really need a lot of flow in this little tanks. I upgraded the main pump in the left chamber to a RIO1100 so I could put on the splitter and still get a good push out of them. Also the Hydor flow that you see is on another submersible pump. Its a RIO800 but its tuned down a bit. That circulates the entire front of the LR. The splitter aggrigates the surface and circulates the left side of the tank where the hydor cant quite reach. And the last one you see is a very small pump that circulates the back of my LR. The challenge was to get everything to circulate without creating a hurricane in my tank. So to compensate for a strong current i would use more power heads and turn them down. So the need to have the splitter on the main pump circulate the left side of the tank was essential. If I cranked up the Hydor it would reach that side but every time it rotated downward it blew all my sand around and my corals didnt like that much flow. Hope this helps. Good luck and post pics of yours when you can...

perfectdark

Originally Posted by GreenReefer
In your 4 month old full tank pic it looks like your hammer coral and your carnation are fairly close. Has that continued to work or have you had to move one of them. I've never kept a LPS that they say "has long sweeper tenacles and needs lots of room". Eventually I'd like frogspawn and a hammer, but I'd like to get the spacing figured out. thanks

I am always looking at my tank to see who is or isnt playing nice. So far the only issue I have had is my Xenia and my Torch. The Torch was buring the Xenia so I moved them a bit. Now its okay. The Carnation seems to never "stand up" it just lays horizontal when its inflated. The hammer coral is not in its last place although I like where it is I am more arfaid of the Torches tenticles laying over and touching the hammer than I am of the Carnation. The Hammer coral is still a tad new so I am just going to observe for a while. Hope this helps.

motorcity

PerfectDark - thanks for the feedback, very helpful. I'll see about getting some pics once I finally get some water in the tank - hopefully that will be happening within the next week or 2!!!