My 29 BioCube UPDATED PICS

perfectdark

Originally Posted by paintballer768
Very pretty angel. Ill have to research it a bit.
They are the same as the normal Pygmy angels you typically see but I like this color selection better. As for being reef safe, well typically yes they are but occassionally they have been known to snack on some corals. I will try my best to keep that from happening making sure its well fed..

perfectdark

So I think I identified some of the color morphs of Zoa's I just got. On a popular Zoa ID site I have what is called Blow pops and Baby Back Blues..Sweet!!

peef

Thats awesome! Post some pics of those. Glad the fire/ice are open and happy. They grow like CRAZY mine has like 15x the amount I started with. Freaken crazy. Your zoos have gained about 10 heads already also, my tank is a zoo growing monster I guess.

perfectdark

I will get a pic of the whole rock its actually the one your frag is on along with the eagle eyes. But the 1st frag pic is actually the baby back blues, you can barely see the blow pops in my other pics so I will get some better shots of those... Huh huh huh I said blow.... LOL yea thats my immaturity shinning through.

nemo2

I love your tank! I just set up my first tank a couple of weeks ago. It is a 29 g Biocube, too! I was curious if you have any problems with your anemone. I really want to get one, but have heard mixed responses for a tank our size. What kind of lights do you have on your tank?

perfectdark

Originally Posted by nemo2
I love your tank! I just set up my first tank a couple of weeks ago. It is a 29 g Biocube, too! I was curious if you have any problems with your anemone. I really want to get one, but have heard mixed responses for a tank our size. What kind of lights do you have on your tank?
If I was to give my personal advise this is one of those times where I would say do as I say dont do as I do. I have been researching about SW tanks for a bit longer than a year I started my first one March of last year and my goal was to have a "nemo tank" so I started research on Anemones, their care, difficulties etc.. while I am in no way an expert, I have done a lot of home work regarding them. I have my opinions regarding anemones difficulty and requriments. Particularly BTA's which are based on my own personal experience mixed with a lot of things I have read. I can elaborate if you wish but to sum it up. I do not believe that an anemone should be kept by a beginner, and I also do not believe that "generally speaking" an anemone can or should be rather, kept under PC lighting. The explanation for this is more involved than just its not intense enough for them. I was aware of why early on and was also prepared for this to make any accomodations necessary. Having said that, I have a BTA and it is under the std cube lights. I have not had any problems so far (knock on wood). But where it resides, in relationship to my lights and flow was strategically planned out. This why IMO it is still doing so well. But at any given moment this could change and there are no guarantees. As far as tank size goes, you are correct this tank will eventually be too small for him. Right now however all is well, and I have a 36 gal bow front soon to be running I will move him to if I have too. Hope this helps...

nemo2

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
If I was to give my personal advise this is one of those times where I would say do as I say dont do as I do. I have been researching about SW tanks for a bit longer than a year I started my first one March of last year and my goal was to have a "nemo tank" so I started research on Anemones, their care, difficulties etc.. while I am in no way an expert, I have done a lot of home work regarding them. I have my opinions regarding anemones difficulty and requriments. Particularly BTA's which are based on my own personal experience mixed with a lot of things I have read. I can elaborate if you wish but to sum it up. I do not believe that an anemone should be kept by a beginner, and I also do not believe that "generally speaking" an anemone can or should be rather, kept under PC lighting. The explanation for this is more involved than just its not intense enough for them. I was aware of why early on and was also prepared for this to make any accomodations necessary. Having said that, I have a BTA and it is under the std cube lights. I have not had any problems so far (knock on wood). But where it resides, in relationship to my lights and flow was strategically planned out. This why IMO it is still doing so well. But at any given moment this could change and there are no guarantees. As far as tank size goes, you are correct this tank will eventually be too small for him. Right now however all is well, and I have a 36 gal bow front soon to be running I will move him to if I have too. Hope this helps...
Thank you so much for the information! I have done a lot of research as well, and came to the conclusion that my tank was to small, and I had heard that if conditions are not good for the anemone, they can move around and kill your other corals, etc. I think I will avoid an anemone at this point, although I wanted a "nemo tank" too. I am really impressed with your tank. I have just started adding cleaning crew to mine. I have 25 lbs of live rock. Currently I have 4 scarlet hermits, 2 blue leg hermits, 1 emerald crab, and 4 turbo snails. What else would you reccomend? Also what do you think I should start with as far as fish and corals go? Thanks again!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by nemo2
Thank you so much for the information! I have done a lot of research as well, and came to the conclusion that my tank was to small, and I had heard that if conditions are not good for the anemone, they can move around and kill your other corals, etc. I think I will avoid an anemone at this point, although I wanted a "nemo tank" too. I am really impressed with your tank. I have just started adding cleaning crew to mine. I have 25 lbs of live rock. Currently I have 4 scarlet hermits, 2 blue leg hermits, 1 emerald crab, and 4 turbo snails. What else would you reccomend? Also what do you think I should start with as far as fish and corals go? Thanks again!
Thats a wise choice IMO.
Depending on how big the turbos are you may not have enough algea in your tank to support 4. How long has your tank been set up? Nassarius snails are great sand sifters, or sand movers I should say, I have about 4 in my tank. Also Astrea snails are almost IMO a must have, they are phenominal film algea eaters. They will keep your tank glass spotless.
If your wanting a nemo tank set up, a false ocellairis (nemo) would be a fine 1st choice for a fish. A Royal Gramma is another good choice for a nano tank and was in the nemo movie too. True Perc, saddle back clown, bi-color or midas blenny there are a lot to choose from I listed some of my favorites.
You can have every soft coral there is with your lights, some lps and NO sps. Good beginner corals are zoanthids and musrooms, they are easy to care for and multiply rapidly. Some people consider mushrooms a pest because of how quickly they multiply and how hard they are to get rid of.

perfectdark

Thats a wise choice IMO.
Depending on how big the turbos are you may not have enough algea in your tank to support 4. How long has your tank been set up? Nassarius snails are great sand sifters, or sand movers I should say, I have about 4 in my tank. Also Astrea snails are almost IMO a must have, they are phenominal film algea eaters. They will keep your tank glass spotless.
If your wanting a nemo tank set up, a false ocellairis (nemo) would be a fine 1st choice for a fish. A Royal Gramma is another good choice for a nano tank and was in the nemo movie too. True Perc, saddle back clown, bi-color or midas blenny there are a lot to choose from I listed some of my favorites.

You can have every soft coral there is with your lights, some lps and NO sps. Good beginner corals are zoanthids and musrooms, they are easy to care for and multiply rapidly. Some people consider mushrooms a pest because of how quickly they multiply and how hard they are to get rid of.

K

kat74

Hey there!~

Checkin' in with you to see how your little angel is doing??
Success?
*crossing fingers*

perfectdark

Originally Posted by KAT74
Hey there!~

Checkin' in with you to see how your little angel is doing??
Success?
*crossing fingers*
Yep so far so good thank you. Shes still in QT and doing great (knock on wood) eating well etc... I have been taking 4 quarts of water out of my DT and my QT every 3 days. I throw the 4 quarts of QT water away and pour my DT water in the QT tank. Then I put fresh salt mix in my DT to replace what I have taken out. I am trying to acclimate the fish over a period of 2 weeks to my DT water. Im on the last week now and its going well. I have done almost 5 gallons so far and by friday it should be 6. That would be a 60% swap in water. I am thinking about not drip acclimating her, if my water perameters are identicle in these 2 tanks I am just gonna place her in my DT this friday.

K

kat74

Yep so far so good thank you. Shes still in QT and doing great (knock on wood) eating well etc... I have been taking 4 quarts of water out of my DT and my QT every 3 days. I throw the 4 quarts of QT water away and pour my DT water in the QT tank. Then I put fresh salt mix in my DT to replace what I have taken out. I am trying to acclimate the fish over a period of 2 weeks to my DT water. Im on the last week now and its going well. I have done almost 5 gallons so far and by friday it should be 6. That would be a 60% swap in water. I am thinking about not drip acclimating her, if my water perameters are identicle in these 2 tanks I am just gonna place her in my DT this friday.
That sounds awesome and a wonderful way to acclimate her to your DT! This should hopefully totally eliminate any sort of "acclimation shock" and hopefully, she won't have any problems since it should be a smooth transition for her.

Keep us updated! You know we're all rooting for you!!

perfectdark

Originally Posted by KAT74
That sounds awesome and a wonderful way to acclimate her to your DT! This should hopefully totally eliminate any sort of "acclimation shock" and hopefully, she won't have any problems since it should be a smooth transition for her.

Keep us updated! You know we're all rooting for you!!

LMAO thank you, I got my fingers crossed.

peef

Thats a smart way to go. I am optimistic for yah! Oh hey check out my thread, I got a new little clown!

perfectdark

Ok so it took over a month to get to this point and I havent posted any pics as of yet. Heres a brief background of what I did to try to pin point what if anything was going on with my tank.
First I added a damsel to my QT to help keep it cycled. Next I found a fish I was interested in at my LFS, a white tail pygmy angel. They quarantine all their fish for a week before allowing them to sell. I bought her and they held her for me for an additional week. I took her home and added her to my QT for 3 weeks. The damsel was walled off to one part of the tank so there were no territorial disputes. The angel spent her first week getting used to the new tank, for the next 2 weeks I added water from my DT to the QT every other day. I replaced approx 70% of the water in my QT with my DT. Now I could discount the water quality issue if the angel died after I put her into my DT. So I added her a week and a half ago, and so far all is well, tonight I decided to grab some pics and wanted to share.... Hope you like.

nemo2

Hello! Kat74 told me to talk to you about anemones. I have a 29G biocube as well. It has beenup and running for about a month. I eventually ( like in 6 months) want to try an RBTA. I also want a pair of clowns. She said you have been successfull with BTA in your tank. Is this correct? What advice do you have to offer?
Here is a pic of my tank: