my 29

alix2.0

oh wow those pics are embarassing. my tank looks so much better in person.
the colors are really bright and the tank isnt that... green.

those decorator crabs are really funny. one is on the move all over the tank climbing over stuff and messing with snails. the other one has found himself i nice little patch of purple algae, and is busy pulling apart long strips of it, which he then wads up in a ball and sticks to the back of his head. the wads dont stick together too well, so whenever he sticks one on he has to kind of pat it and mush it down so it stays. it looks likes hes fixing his hair.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by alix2.0
well my dad left for china this morning and took the good (ok, decent) camera with him
so im stuck with the kodak dc3200 again... so sorry about the pics!
Yea well dont let it happen again......

LOL jk glad to see everything arrived ok... well almost. Thats a good size plate you got prob double in size when it inflates. Nice...

alix2.0

how long do they take to inflate usually? i read on another thread 2 weeks but that seems like an awfully long time. its already a lot greener than it was when it came and the little brown tentacles are standing up.
i had it down on the sand but it kept getting covered up so i made it a little bed out of some rubble. hopefully that will keep the sand off of it.
edit// looking at it closer the skeleton is about 2.5 inches in diameter. :D

perfectdark

how long do they take to inflate usually? i read on another thread 2 weeks but that seems like an awfully long time. its already a lot greener than it was when it came and the little brown tentacles are standing up.
i had it down on the sand but it kept getting covered up so i made it a little bed out of some rubble. hopefully that will keep the sand off of it.
If it is happy where it is it shouldnt take but a couple of days to inflate. If you are already seeing small tenticles sticking out my guess is its already curious about its new surroundings. Make sure its secure and if a hermit or snail climbs on it cannot get rocked around banged or bruised. Thats the most common injury to plates and sometimes it can kill them.

perfectdark

Wow thats a nice size... mine was the size of a dime when I bought it.. almost 8 months ago, it has grown to half dollar size now.

coral keeper

Very nice pics!! I'm glad to hear that everything came in good. Can't wait till you get the better camera back and all the corals to open up.

fishfreek

HI, i didn't notice, but what kind of lighting are you running on your tank? It looks very natural! I run 4x t-5 and am looking for the same lighting scheme as you.
thanks

alix2.0

well your lighting is probably much better than mine i have a coralife lunar aqualight with 2x 65w 10000k bulbs and 2x65w actinics

alix2.0

well my plate hasnt inflated yet, its looking pretty brown, which is worrying me. but it flouresces bright green under only actinics so im guessing its ok. its little brown tentacles are starting to stick up, and it caught a piece of mysis when i was feeding my sun coral. it ate it! it was pretty cool.
cant wait till it starts looking better. fingers crossed.

paintballer768

well my plate hasnt inflated yet, its looking pretty brown, which is worrying me. but it flouresces bright green under only actinics so im guessing its ok. its little brown tentacles are starting to stick up, and it caught a piece of mysis when i was feeding my sun coral. it ate it! it was pretty cool.
If it ate, then I wouldnt worry about it too much. Give it a few days, Im sure its ok.
I remember seeing a while back a picture you posted of a reef book, bright red cover with some kind of fish staring at the camera. I was at the book store today and saw it there while looking for a new saltwater book, and took a look at it. First thing I open to is this huge like centerfold of a sun coral with its polyps extended huge.
Couldnt help but think, of course she added one to her tank, after seeing this who wouldnt.

perfectdark

If its calcium cabonate base starts to turn white, then I would start to worry. As stated above if its eating just observe it for a while.

alix2.0

the tanks been established in different forms for about 4 years. i bought it from a guy when it was just the 20 long about 2 years ago.
and PD, thanks for the advice. the base isnt white, but kind of a light brownish color, which looks healthy... although i guess i have no idea if it is. it looks like it did when it came (the skeleton) so im guessing it ok, since it was only sent overnight and i doubt SWF would send out a dying coral.

peef

have you seen the blue planet series (from the discovery channel)? i believe that you can buy the whole series on DVD now. not sure about any others, though im sure theyre out there.

My wife just bought this for me for christmas.....HOLY COW IT IS FREAKEN AWESOME. I can't stop watching it over and over.

peef

I recently had bought a fungia short tent. Due to acclimation shock and nasty peppermint shrimp three of the biggest ones were dead and destroyed.....or so I thought. They had NO color, some algae started to grow on the exposed WHITE WHITE skeleton (oh yeah, there are like 25 little ones growing on an old skeleton.) and then like two weeks later they started to poke their mouths out a little. Then a little more. Now they are huge and happy and fully inflated. I think that people give them a bit less credit than they deserve and throw them out thinking them dead (like I would have if all the others weren't on there) when in fact they are just in deep hiding. I think you are A-Ok!