My 75 build

R

rcreations

What was your PVC pipe glued to and what glue did you use? The PVC to PVC connection need to be "cemented" with PVC cement, the two part kind... first the purple primer and then the glue itself. Well it's not really glue. What it does is melt and bond the PVC pipes. But this is only PVC to PVC.

locoyo386

Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3002097
I have started my 75 today. I noticed one piece of rock has 3 of these

[hr]
growing on it. I know aiptasia X and joes juice will take care of them but will they survive a cycle?
And of course. The RO is taking its sweet time. I just bought a new one. I let it run for about an hour before adding the water to the tank. I have about 20 gallons so far. Im going to add the sand in a few hours once its filled up some more.
Yes Im putting on a backround. I have the tint here. I have left some space between the wall and tank.

Not bad, nice picture.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by RCreations
http:///forum/post/3003556
What was your PVC pipe glued to and what glue did you use? The PVC to PVC connection need to be "cemented" with PVC cement, the two part kind... first the purple primer and then the glue itself. Well it's not really glue. What it does is melt and bond the PVC pipes. But this is only PVC to PVC.
Yeah, my buddy is a plumber and told me what to get. I just did it and its solid as a rock.

crypt keeper

Originally Posted by It's Chuck
http:///forum/post/3004756
I believe the technical term is blueificator

Okay couple issues and questions.
My tank wont clear up. I think its day 4 now and Its still hazy/cloudy. I added the sand as shown above in the pictures. I then added then little packet that comes with it like stated to do so to clear it up faster. Its two 40 pound bags. Makes a nice 1.5 inches thick sand bed.
Turned everything on. My rock was covered in some soot and so was my sump and the my tank the next two days. I took the rock out along with 5 gallons of slatwater and swished it around to knock off the soot. Worked great.
Now 2 days later tank cleared up some but wont get crystal clear. Its still has a haze. I have done about 25 gallons in water changes. Still has a haze.
The next issue is my sump. The middle of it is getting flow but I think I should put a nano power head in there. It just seems like its stagnant. Anybody else do that?

it's chuck

Have you added any mechanical filtration to the sump (ie Micron sock or sheet, sponge, filter floss) if not I would try that my 100 took about 7 to 10 days to completely clear with nothing but a powerhead

R

rcreations

Definitely! Adding a sponge filter or a sock will speed up the process. Just make sure to rinse it when it's all clear. Also, did you rinse the sand before you put it in the tank?

crypt keeper

it was carib sea live sand. It had the bio clarifier like chuck mentioned. They say not to rinse it unless you have saltwater ready. I did not as my other tanks have had copper and I plan on keeping this coppersafe so I can add corals later on down the road.
I went out and bought a nice poly filter sheet and stuck that in my sump between then fuge baffle and the return.
I added some two pieces of shrimp to start helping the cycle along.

crypt keeper

Added the black backround. It was very simple. I just got some tint and this product my lfs sells. Its some type of clear glue. I laid out the film. Put the glue all over it let it dry for 5 minutes then stuck it on. I used a credit card and all the bubbles went bye bye. Looks great.
I also figured out why it wasnt clearing up. I added a large piece of poly filter and turned off the left side power head. It was pushing the water away from the overflow and not allowing anything to really fall down it. After 1 night.

crypt keeper

well thank you.
And we have full cycle. Im pumped. One week in and Trites are spiking. Ammonia not so much. PH I believe needs to come up a tad. Salinty is at 1.025. Hopefully I can keep it at that. Temp is at 78F
PH

Nitrite. I have have ghost fed the tank. I added two large raw pieces of shrimp. Im going just let that be it.

Ammonia

black cobra

Looks like its coming right along. Definitely get more LR asap though cause you dont want to keep starting your cycle over and over with new rocks dieoff

crypt keeper

I have a container with a heater and powerhead. My Live rock place has curred live rock. If i had it slowly it wont cause another cycle.