my house build thread

chilwil84

thanks everybody. it feels so good to be able to build my own place(i have been fighting for a subdivision for over a year and a half) and to get the support from a real community means a lot(we all realize this isnt just a forum).

chilwil84

finally got back to my house. got the garage walls finally up and the ceiling joists on the garage put up.

mimzy

wow!! Hey.... where is this located? Looks an AWEFUL LOT like a house that's going up on a lot near mine........ trees and everything!

slackjawed

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/2726816
few more pics
man u must to like to do things the hard way!!!!! why did you not sheet and paper the walls when they were on the deck?????you dont no how 2 square them?to hard.or mabey the east coasters do it that way
.are you gonna do the 2nd floor like that too? nice sheetin walls off a ladder!!! i bet u make time.looks like a 6 day build house 2 me.w/ 3 guys!!!im a union carpenter (work in illinois)more $$.just seems like you are creatin more work buy not sheetin and paperin those walls before there stood!!!! but other wise looks good

whares all the par blocks ???????????wastin studs..14 1/2 "blocks work good too and tripple studs on the end of walls?when a cali will work fine 2 .seems like you like creatin more work for self.

slackjawed

Originally Posted by usirchchris
http:///forum/post/2731764
Generally if you can get the house dried in within a few weeks you won't see any swelling on the osb...minimal sanding at any rate if needed at all. On our walls and roofs 7/16 osb is used everywhere. Some will sometimes use actual 1/2" on the roof, but this is rare. Price wise right now around my parts you can get 3/4 T&G osb for around 9-11 a sheet. Where as cdx plywood 3/4 is around 19-24 per sheet. The really cheap builders around here will use blackboard on the walls with 7/16 on the corners.
t&g on the roof ?3/4 to?hate to put that bowed stuff upmabey on a 6 pitch but not a 10 pitch 1 /2 osb is finemabey 5/8 but 3/4 you are wastin $$(unless it a tile roof)!!!!!!!!

chilwil84

coastal have to lap the floors together with plywood so we never sheeth 1st and only framing with 2 guys dont need the extra weight. with this being done mostly on weekends i would never leave the paper sitting exposed to direct weather for a month or 2 and the sheething has to be inspected. a couple more years and i will be making 3 figures (with no ot)as a carpenter hear on the coast so no union needed for me. i have only had one other carpenter with me for 4 days now so its movin pretty good for mainly 4 days of work.

chilwil84

par blocks? u mean bridging on the floor joists? no code says u need it and engineered i beams say not to use any? always solid corners might be wasting studs but quicker than lookin for cut offs and lining them up.

chilwil84

you dont no how 2 square them?
my parents house i built a couple years ago this is a crappy picture from the inside but shows i can frame.

slackjawed

Originally Posted by chilwil84
http:///forum/post/2748299
par blocks? u mean bridging on the floor joists? no code says u need it and engineered i beams say not to use any? always solid corners might be wasting studs but quicker than lookin for cut offs and lining them up.
no floor bridging either ,any span over 8 ' we gotta
par blocks :where 2 walls meet (intsted of 2 studs 3 1/2 "apart)what do u do on outter walls?cold spots?looks good.rather werk union 8 and skate +insurance+bennezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

chilwil84

for the old lady, gonna build a larger one behind the house with a 10' tall door for a full size truck with racks on it. the lot is only 96 feet wide (350 feet deep) and i want to have a work shop with it so it wouldnt have fit next to the house with the setback rules. as a seperate accessory building though it can go to within 5 feet of the property line instead of 15 feet so it makes for a better situation.

veni vidi vici

Originally Posted by slackjawed
http:///forum/post/2748324
no floor bridging either ,any span over 8 ' we gotta
par blocks :where 2 walls meet (intsted of 2 studs 3 1/2 "apart)what do u do on outter walls?cold spots?looks good.rather werk union 8 and skate +insurance+bennezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Howdy Brother,
UBC Local #839