My jellyfish tank diary.

pezenfuego

Dude. That tank is sick! Jellies aren't very common in this hobby so that is really something amazing to see. You should start a thread about it. Have you?

hyen

Haha to be frank its because of the movie 7 pounds I started to research on jellies... Its even more excited after seeing bro CK's tank with jellies... No I am not goin to start a new thread on this coz everythings seems like too early especially there is no jellies in my tank yet...
Bro CK, do I have your advice already???

coral keeper

I'm doin good but the jellyfish died a while ago.
So I just took the tank down. The reason I took the jellyfish tank down is because I upgraded to a 180 gallon reef tank and my parents said that I have to sell all of other tanks so that there would be only one tank in the house(the 180 gallon). That's one sick jellyfish tank!!!

Yeah, frozen foods will work.
I fed mine when its stomach was empty(normally they finish digesting their meals in 8 hours, so when they finish digesting and "poop" out the left over feed em again, There always has to be food in their stomach.)
Depends on the species of jellyfish you get.
Yeah, I wouldn't put a skimmer on the tank. Just natural filtration such as bioballs, fuge(micros), live rock(cold water live rock) in the sump/fuge NOT in the DT. Don't forget to post lots of pictures when you set that baby up!!

hyen

I already started the water circulation now. Its dissapointing initially coz of the leak expected. After repaired, its not leaking anymore. Once I connect the pump, it was dissapointing as well. I put my hand in but cant feel any current from the return pipe. I used two 4500l/h pump and its still the same. After that I tried to put some tissue paper in and try the circulation. It is now impressive as the flow is slow and steady. Now I am really happy that everything works fine.

coral keeper

Originally Posted by hyen
http:///forum/post/3026625
I already started the water circulation now. Its dissapointing initially coz of the leak expected. After repaired, its not leaking anymore. Once I connect the pump, it was dissapointing as well. I put my hand in but cant feel any current from the return pipe. I used two 4500l/h pump and its still the same. After that I tried to put some tissue paper in and try the circulation. It is now impressive as the flow is slow and steady. Now I am really happy that everything works fine.

Your not supposed to "feel" the flow. If you feel the flow that means its too strong and will slam the jellyfish against the walls. Post a video of the tank!?

hyen

I am now preparing the tank stand and try to cycle the tank in this few days... Hopefully I am able to get my first seanettle jellies in the following weekend... I am goin to "cup" the jellies like you near the beach (1.5hours away driving). The whether in my place is really hot (25-32degC ambient) and what temperature do you think I should set for my chiller?... And any special care for a seanettle from the book you bought?
Just curious why your jellies died? Sorry to hear that... I am feeling lonely as you give up your jellies tank...

hyen

I think it will be a seanettle. Its transparent/white bell, brownish hair... Not sure what is it but I got a photo taken a year ago while I went for a holiday...

Sorry for the bad pic as I didint know I will end up with my own jellies tank. Anyone could clarify what type is this???

meowzer

WOW...I have never seen this thread...I had no clue you had jellyfish....Very nice..LOl...Do you still have them?

jellyfishart

I saw your thread and am really excited to see hobbyists starting to get into jellyfish. My company specializes in jellyfish tanks, so we supply the tanks, jellyfish, food, and other accessories: www.jellyfishart.com. If I can be of any assistance, let me know.
- Alex
President of Jellyfish Art

jellyfishart

Originally Posted by hyen
http:///forum/post/3022589
Hi CK,
How are you and your jellies doin?
I have done DIYed my kreisel...

I havent really test on the system and gonna test it hopefully tmr nite. I believe the circulation will be fine. The only things I worry is the leakage. The tank look exactly like what I planned except the workmanship quality
. This is just a testing skid and if its successful, a larger scale tank will be made for display tank in my house.
I have few questions for ya...
1. The place I staying, its hard to get salt water feeder fish. How am I suppose to overcome this matter. Can a frozen brine shrimp work?
2. How frequent do you feed your jellies?
3. Hows the light requirements?
4. I read somewhere in the internet saying dissolved organic carbon can be food for jellies, should I add in a protein skimmer?
hope you guys enjoy the pics...
1. Live brine shrimp enriched with selcon are the food of choice at public aquariums. Can you get your hands on some brine shrimp eggs and hatch those?
2. Jellyfish eat constantly in the wild, so twice a day is ideal. But some species can go several days without eating without a problem. If you use live brine shrimp, one trick is to put your brine shrimp in a bubbler container on top of your tank with a garden hose timer at the bottom. Set the timer to open for a few seconds every hour and it will feed them the whole batch of brine shrimp over a long period of time.
3. There are no lighting requirements unless you have a jellyfish species with photosynthetic algae, like the upside down jelly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzQVdqj16-c
4. A protein skimmer shouldn't be necessary, as long as you have sufficient biological filtration and do regular water changes.

pmac85

Just came across this thread, I know it's pretty old, but thought I'd try to bring it back to life if there's anything to report...
Hyen, what became of your jelly tank?
It looked pretty promising!