My Queen Angel Just Arrived!!!

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by peter1215
awesome campbell......hey did you have t glue some of these rocks or are they just lying on each other?
All of the rocks are dry stacked. I have 8+ pieces that are 15-30lbs each. I thought about using some PVC to stack them, but they fit together nicely like a puzzel.

ccampbell57

In addition, there is a picture above with the Emperor, Bluface, Clown, and Hippo. The rock that is in front of the emperor's beak is the biggest rock that I have collected to date. It is about ~20" across and weighs over 30#'s. It is full of purple and red coraline algea. I got it for $40!!!!!!!! that is just over $1 a pound!
Also, you can see the size difference between the queen and the other angels in the first picture of post #135.
She is a small fry compared to the hogs.

gnorman

love the pics, all of ur fish looks really healthy and i cant believe how large your emperor and blue face are- they look awesome

ccampbell57

thanks GNorman...they are really healthy and all eat like pigs. They are getting large and will just keep growing.
How is your queen doing? any news?

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by Nick76
great pictures!
Your tank looks so clean, Fish Only I assme?
How do u go about maintenance?
Thanks Nick! I am a freak about the tank. Mainly because I love my fish to death. It is a fish only with live rock. I have about 275#'2 of LR in there now. I had so much from when it was a reef about 18 months back and my angels ate all the coral (my experiment went wrong).
I have an Auto top-off unit that supplies my RO/DI water to the sump (about 2-3 gallons a day). I clean the glass daily and clean the rocks with a tooth brush every 3 days.
I do a 35-40 gallon water change every month and smaller ones if required throughout the month.
I have a ASM G3 skimmer running the 180 which is awesome!!! Helps reduce the bio-load. I also have a 100g hang on filter on the refugium helping out the mechanical filtration.
I also change filtration pads in the refugium every 2 weeks.
Also, when I do water changes, I vacuum the substrate carefully so that I dont get the water hazy. My fish just hang around my hand when I do this.

R

regina13

WOW! I havent checked this in awhile and I LOVE the new rock formation!

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by regina13
WOW! I havent checked this in awhile and I LOVE the new rock formation!
I was about to say you haven't been around in a while Regina! Thanks for checking in. I am pretty stoked with the scaping as well.
I am almost through with my wish list and the 180 will be complete

peter1215

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
Thanks Nick! I am a freak about the tank. Mainly because I love my fish to death. It is a fish only with live rock. I have about 275#'2 of LR in there now. I had so much from when it was a reef about 18 months back and my angels ate all the coral (my experiment went wrong).
I have an Auto top-off unit that supplies my RO/DI water to the sump (about 2-3 gallons a day). I clean the glass daily and clean the rocks with a tooth brush every 3 days.
I do a 35-40 gallon water change every month and smaller ones if required throughout the month.
I have a ASM G3 skimmer running the 180 which is awesome!!! Helps reduce the bio-load. I also have a 100g hang on filter on the refugium helping out the mechanical filtration.
I also change filtration pads in the refugium every 2 weeks.
Also, when I do water changes, I vacuum the substrate carefully so that I dont get the water hazy. My fish just hang around my hand when I do this.
Hi Campbell
I am upgrading to a large skimmer next month and asm is one of my choices. havent decided yet wether to go with an in sump or external skimmer. how much space/height do i need for a g3? i was also considering an MRC-2 skimmer. I currently change 15-20 gallons per week on my 210g. I t may sound like much but i do it because im only running a reef devil deluxe skimmer. so it sounds like your really happy with the out put of the skimmer? so what are your nitrate numbers like?

ccampbell57

Hey peter! My G3 is an internal skimmer in my first chamber of the refugium.
The skimmer works magic!!! I change the cup about 2-3 times a week. You need at least 30" of room in the stand. The skimmer is about 24" and it is tight in my cabinet.
The skimmer does so well that I only have to change water once a month. I would say G3 minimum on your tank. If you can fit or afford the G4...go for it!!!
Currently my nitrates and nitrites are at 0. The most they have ever been was 15ppm when my skimmer was off during copper treatment.

peter1215

wow !!! zero nitrates with only monthly water changes in a fowlr tank ...thats awesome.. my nitrates always hover around around 15-20ppm . I feed everyday. how about you ?

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by peter1215
wow !!! zero nitrates with only monthly water changes in a fowlr tank ...thats awesome.. my nitrates always hover around around 15-20ppm . I feed everyday. how about you ?
Yeah I feed pellets at 1pm and cubes at 5.
I attribute the low nitrates to the amount of LR, aggressive skiming, and my aditional hang on filter on the refugium

peter1215

I also have an Eheim canister that i run chemical filtration . Just seems that the reef devil isnt pulling much. I'm definitely getting a new skimmer in January. which angel formula do you use? Ive been trying the Hikari formual but they just float on the top and many go into my overflow !! Is the Ocean Nutrition formula/cubes bettor than Hikari?

ccampbell57

I use formula 1&2 pellets since they are soaked in Garlic. I also use the Formula mixed cubes and inject (litterally with a needle) Vitachem and garlic into the cubes and let them sit for 45 minutes. The mixed cubes have a grey cube that is specially for the angels (with sponge)
Here are some other things I feed my guys:
- Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies
- Formula 1, 2, and prime reef flake
- Frozen Krill
- M.Y.S.I.S
- Local LFS made Meaty cubes (this is the fish's favorite)

peter1215

man i wish my LFS made fresh cubes like that!!! i have to settle for the frozen stuff from Ocean Nutritiona and Hikari!

R

regina13

Originally Posted by ccampbell57
I was about to say you haven't been around in a while Regina! Thanks for checking in. I am pretty stoked with the scaping as well.
I am almost through with my wish list and the 180 will be complete
I got out of my big tank idea and was going to do a 90gallon reef, but everytime I see your fowlr I want one again! I quess I am back to the aggressive forum for awhile!
I am rethinking it again and will have to make a new stocklist!

ccampbell57

Just my 2 cents Regina, but I had a reef in the 180 previously and thought it was ok...the coral was cool, but I got bored with it...so I found myself buying more and more coral to not be bored. When I lost a coral I didn't care...it was like taking a $100 bill and burning it.
When I lost my Powder Blue Tang (second fish I ever bought) and my puffer, I was truly sad and felt like I had lost a pet.
My fish bring me the enjoyement and my Nano tank gives me my coral fix as well as my clownfish.

R

regina13

I have thought of a small nano packed with coral... Well, you talking me into it I think I'm back to the good old fowlr!