My (un-original) 55 Reef Diary!

<3scopas55

Hey guys, I finally have started my new project! So far i have the tank, stand, 600 gph overflow, 260w PC lighting, and about half of the plumbing/ sump work done.

These are some of the pics of the whole setup so far and my first attempt at a DIY sump

Tell me what you think!!!

<3scopas55

Im gunna order everything else (hoods, filter media, pumps, powerheads, heater, sand, etc.) tomarrow
All thats left then is my skimmer, liverock (getting a bunch from a friend of mine), and LIVESTOCK!!!
Im self funding the whole tank on my own so im gunna be moving rather slow...I actually hope to have water in it by thanksgiving
BUt oh well it will be fun
Any comments, advice, or .02c will be greatly appreciated!
Ill post pics as i move along.

grubsnaek

good start with the lighting should be able to have a good softies tank. with the sump are you going to be adding a fuge into the sump. if not i would highly consider adding one while you still have time to make the plans.
def hold on to any extra coin when you can and spend it on an good over rated skimmer. will work wonders and be one of the best things you could do along with a fuge.
power heads i personally like the hydor koralia. would be nice with the softies.
lighting will again hold softies, so you a good size of variety.
if you already know these things,my bad was just throwing little helpful hints that i wish i read about and did before breaking down my 125DT twice to get it rite where its at now....just tryin to help.
hope all goes well, will watch this thread on the reg....

<3scopas55

Thanks for posting
Yes, i know that my lights will probably be good for just softies, which is ok with me as thats all i can afford right now. Also the powerhead im ordering is in fact a hydor koralia and my skimmer will be a coralife 65.
Another thing is I was orginally going to have a fuge in my sump when i was planning on using a 20g long but to my dispare, the 20 did not fit undwer my stand. So then i began looking on classified adds and found a an acrylic sump that was the perfect dimensions (24x10x12) and snatched it up later that day. Since the new sump is consideringly smaller then the 20g, im finding myself struggling with space issues. As you can see in the pics above i have constructed a wet/dry box out of a 2g hexagon tank i found in my laundry room. I placed it on an acrylic ledge so it sits about 9" off the bottem. Now im left with about 16" of room to fit in my skimmer and pump .... and room for the fuge is decreasing...
I really want a fuge as they are so benificial, and since this is my first reef attempt i want to do it right.
So, how big does a fuge have to be??? Maybe there is still some room

Heres my plans for the sump so far...
The second image is the one with my idea for a refugium. Do they need to be lit, and how big does it have to be because this space is about 4"x 10". If so the nthis might work.

saltn00b

some thoughts:
if you are doing a sump you dont need a wet/dry, lose that part altogether.
having a single baffle overflowing ontop of your return pump is bound to get you flooded with microbubbles in your DT. that needs to be rethought.
most people try to put their skimmer closest to the drain and then the return as far away as possible, with 3 baffle bubble traps in between - to reduce microbubbles.

<3scopas55

So would something like this be better??? Should the bubble trap have the baffles set 1in apart and 1in off the bottem??? Also if i were to take out the wet dry, how would the water be really clean? I thought i should fill that compartment with carbon, sponges, and other media...

Also does anyone have any thoughts on my refugium idea?
Thanks for posting

saltn00b

three baffles will be much better in stopping baffles from the source behind the baffles (ie the skimmer), but remember that when the water level gets to be about 2" under the last baffle in the last chamber, you will start getting bubbles from the waterfall effect. also take into account the water volume in that last area because that is basically going to tell you how often you will need to top off with RO. depending on the tank, you could easily evaporate multiple gallons per day.
as for the fuge, not sure what you are trying to accomplish with the fuge? Ammo fixing? nitrate export? pod supply? any of these things will really benefit from the largest sump area you can provide.

grubsnaek

hes right about the micro bubbles and the baffles near the return pump. i have that problem now on my 20L frag tank. this is where posting things help you out alot with future planning.
i personally would look into making a mesh mod for the skimmer. this will help out that skimmer making it alittle more effective.
if no room for fuge i would consider getting a hang on fuge. dont get a cheap one from the bay. save and get a good one. yes you will need some sort of light for the fuge. say 20 bucks from home depot and your set. try to get a bulb around the 6500k range.

<3scopas55

Update time!!!
Ok so today my shipment came in
Which i was really surprised cause i only ordered like 2-3 days ago. talk about service! Anyway, all i have left to buy is a protien skimmer, lr, and livestock!!! i hope i can have water in it in about a week or two... then i will get it running and cycleing and since im in no rush, i probably wont add and thing living for about 5 weeks from now...
Tommarow im going to finish all of the plumbing and sump work and cut my acrylic lids. ATell me what you think so far.. am i doing anything wrong???

grubsnaek

you might want to add another koralia #2 or higher. at least another #2. just would benefit now from it.
any chance of a full shot of the sump.

<3scopas55

Ya, im thinking about placing the Hydor in the top corner and pointing it down and then buying anohter one for the other side. Also this is as close to a full sump shot as i can get...
I am going to finish th doing all of the baffles etc. today or tommarow. Tell me what you think

<3scopas55

Uhhh, probably about 500 bucks so far... I got the tank itself for 25 from a friend, and the sump was used or 25. Ive spent 150 for lights, 30 for the overflow, and the rest of the equipment was 215 shipped. All i have left is a skimmer (about 90$) and rock whish im getting as a gift from a friend also. Its working out ok seeing as im on a budget. Good luck with ur tank!

grubsnaek

honestly i would spend more on a skimmer. some say its the best piece of equipment for a saltwater tank that you can buy. i highly agree with this....save now and buy bigger. i promise you wont regret it. just ask around.

<3scopas55

I agree with getting an efficient/ overrated skimmer and im actually going with a coralife skimmer from a consignment add. Ive heard that they are pretty nice, does any one else have experience with them

threed240

For the money, Coralife would be the best. There are better skimmers, but these are great skimmers for under $200. I have a Excalibur 150 on my 55, and I'm fixing to switch to a coralife 220. Speaking of money, you will eventually stop counting. I hit over $2g's about 1.5 years ago on my 55gal. Your tank is coming along great! You'll be glad you started with a sump...

<3scopas55

Ok, all the plumbing is finally finished
I also put the baffles in the sump
Im so excited, its going so much faster then i could have hoped! Im filling it up next weekend and hopefully ordering the skimmer by friday! Ill post pics later!

grubsnaek

Originally Posted by Threed240
Speaking of money, you will eventually stop counting. I hit over $2g's about 1.5 years ago on my 55gal.

shhhh....... try a 125!!!!!!!!!!!!haha