My (un-original) 55 Reef Diary!

<3scopas55

The sump is done!!!
Here are some pics of my hardwork, The baffles are 1 in apart and the one in the middle is 1in off the bottom. I hope you like it!!!

Wow Ive Made This Same Mistake. Try Silcone It On Both Sides. It Might Rip It Apart If Siconed On One Side Like Mine Did.

<3scopas55

Ok the project tank is about 2/3 of the way filled and im filling the rest tonight (ran out of RO water). but in the mean time i managed to reaquascape my 38 fowlr last night and now that it is clear i wanted to know what you think of it. My motivation for redoing it was thanks to the addition of the two new coral skeletons!!! I replaced all the fake crap i had with them and the tank looks sooo much crisper and cleaner

All comments welcome!

<3scopas55

Ok, sorry for not posting in a while... I filled up the tank, mixed my salt, and added my sand yesterday. Then after almost flooding my house and giving mself a heart attack a finally got the overflow to match the pump
There seems to be a problem though... my sand doesnt seem to be settling AT ALL! the tank has looked the same milky white color for about 15 hourse now... I tried just letting it sit overnight with nothing on, no pumps, no nothing.. but it still looks the same
Now i have turned the system on to see if it will clear it out but still nothing...hmmm Am i doing something wrong??? i dont remember my first tank taking this long to settle down??? Have i ruined all my water and do i have to go spend oodles of $$$ to replace it all??? HELP ME!!!! please

I included a pic of the sandbed, im not sure if u can tell but i can also see a layer of really fine dust building up ontop of the actual sand
IM SO CONFUSED!!!

grubsnaek

dust is settleling, i would possible but like two of three pieces of either live rock or pvc piping to catch some of the dust. just helps in my opinion. looks good though.

<3scopas55

OK i got home today and to my extreme pleasure... there was no flood, the sump/overflow was going great, and the SAND HAS FINALLY SETTLED alittle after about 24 hours
There is still some fine particles in the water mass and on the surface but it looks a MILLION times better! phew! saves me some $$$
what do ya think now!

N

nereef

a deep sand band isn't feasable in the display of a 55, imo. how deep is your's now? it looks like about 3/4".

<3scopas55

Oh and i was wondering, is it normal for PC lights to run pretty hot??? and have you ever experienced them producing a strange plastic melting smell when they are new and going on for the first couple of times??? Is this normal when there breaking in or is there something wrong with them???

N

nereef

they run pretty hot. most have built-in fans in the unit. i don't know about the melting smell. the sand is a good depth, imo.

m0nk

Originally Posted by <3Scopas55
Oh and i was wondering, is it normal for PC lights to run pretty hot??? and have you ever experienced them producing a strange plastic melting smell when they are new and going on for the first couple of times??? Is this normal when there breaking in or is there something wrong with them???
Yeah, PC lighting runs hot so you should always try to have the fan running when both sets of lights are on. Mine only smelled funny for a day or two, mostly like "electricity", if you've ever smelled what that is like (engineering background here).
If you notice it continuing, even after running the fan with the lights, for probably more than a week then there might be something you want to look into; perhaps start with checking with your LFS about possible recalls on the unit....but I wouldn't worry about it for at least a week running it for full days.

<3scopas55

Thanks for the help m0nk

There are fans built into the unit but it still makes the weird smell...
Should i maybe invest in a small clip on fan to run over the unit???